Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes

Pl@m0b1l Town

I have a confession to make:

Yesterday I bought 2 of 4415 and 4416 each at a local TRU. On my way out I saw the 2006 Pl@ym0b1l catalog - and took one with me. I wanted to see what the Evil Empire had to offer this year.

Back home I browsed through the catalog with a drooling mouth - THAT'S what I call a Town theme! :ohmy:

Yes, Pl@ym0b1l doesn't have licenses and doesn't cover that broad a product spectrum as LEGO (no Technic and the like) since it's "just" a play toy. But what they do with the Town theme is great, IMHO. The only "license" they have seems to be that of "Deutsche Post/DHL" since they use their logo for the mail/post office sub theme (yes, they have one).

Their town just offers everything you want, and even a few smaller unusual sub themes (forest rangers for example), and the hospital looks like one!

A few things I noticed: the airport, plane, crane and firestation remind me of... hmm... what was it... oh, yeah, LEGO :wink:

I can understand why Pl@ym0b1l's still popular - among Town fans, that is. Adding to that they still have a Pirate and now even Roman theme. Not easy to catch up...

Only disadvantages (and what keeps me from buying it): the models need a LOT of space, and there's absolutely no MOCing possibility (not that I'm that a big MOCer, just now and then I change a few things with a model). Other than that you can set up a great looking Town/Train layout.

TLG - steal some! :wink:

I have been picking up the Playmobil catalogs since 2003. As Hobbes mentions, they are filled with intersting themes. And they contain plenty of inspiration.

One note - Playmobil also has a small service catalog inside the main catalog. There you can find *army builders*. For example, they have a 3-pack of red coat British soldiers for US$ 6.99. Want a red coat captain? US$ 2.99.

Same thing goes for their various factions of knights (Black Lions, Green Dragons, Gold Dragons, Fierce Knights), Vikings, Pirates, Indians, Cowboys, Union Soldiers and Rebel Soldiers.

Very cool. Pick up a catalog if you see it.

-- Bryan

I like those new forrest line Playmobil came up with.

My small sister (7 years younger than me) used to get lots of Playmobil for her birthdays and christmas and I had to build the sets for her. What I often did was taking all those cool animals and plants and trees and whatever and I made huuuuge Dioramas of it, with waterfalls and all those fairytalish stuff.

This new forrest line are exactly the sets I always dreamed of, much of nature in it and everything so cute! :wub:

(Last time Aredhel and me looked at those sets at a local toy shop she told me "Please don't start collecting these too!" :$)

I have a confession to make:

Yesterday I bought 2 of 4415 and 4416 each at a local TRU. On my way out I saw the 2006 Pl@ym0b1l catalog - and took one with me. I wanted to see what the Evil Empire had to offer this year.

Back home I browsed through the catalog with a drooling mouth - THAT'S what I call a Town theme! :ohmy:

Yes, Pl@ym0b1l doesn't have licenses and doesn't cover that broad a product spectrum as LEGO (no Technic and the like) since it's "just" a play toy. But what they do with the Town theme is great, IMHO. The only "license" they have seems to be that of "Deutsche Post/DHL" since they use their logo for the mail/post office sub theme (yes, they have one).

Their town just offers everything you want, and even a few smaller unusual sub themes (forest rangers for example), and the hospital looks like one!

A few things I noticed: the airport, plane, crane and firestation remind me of... hmm... what was it... oh, yeah, LEGO :wink:

I can understand why Pl@ym0b1l's still popular - among Town fans, that is. Adding to that they still have a Pirate and now even Roman theme. Not easy to catch up...

Only disadvantages (and what keeps me from buying it): the models need a LOT of space, and there's absolutely no MOCing possibility (not that I'm that a big MOCer, just now and then I change a few things with a model). Other than that you can set up a great looking Town/Train layout.

i think a majority of town fans would agree with this. the only problem is that lego is simply more expensive. I'd like to think that can easily be fixed by cutting down on profits or anything, but i'm afraid that this time it actually is because lego sets are more expensive to produce. Lego has more parts which are also more sophisticated, they also need a higher quality of plastics...

Playmo also doesn't really have any competition like lego has, so they're not really price driven, but product driven. they're able to only focus on their product, without having to much to think about price. With lego, it's just the other way around: price comes first. I also think that lego has decided on the wrong strategy for Town/city. they're stuck in this 4-5 set town theme, like hospital, police,..., that doesn't leave much room for flexibilty. In that context, they just don't seem to be able to produce 10 small and very different town sets. a shopkeeper i know told me once it's because they hardly get any profit of those smaller sets... I just hope they realise now that their customer is far more demanding now then ever before, so if they want to keep him/her, they better produce what he/she wants, in this case, town sets...

Playmobil makes a great product superior to many cheap plastic action figures that flood the toy market. I started collecting vintage western Playmobil over Ebay several years ago looking for new sets that had never been opened. The end result is a fairly nice collection of sets making (you guessed it), a western town.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of all the sets as space is always a limiting factor (due to the size of Playmobil), but here's a few sets that I managed to buy over the years (now boxed in the garage).

Gold Mine and Fort

Saloon and Sheriff's Office

Playmobil has great themes and as with past Lego business strategy, does not have to buy movie rights/licenses because their themes are timeless. I particularly like the Wild West town sets (surprise) which was one of the three original Playmobil themes (shared with Castle/Knights and Construction). Over the years, Playmobil has continued to offer great city sets and new themes like Vikings and the Forest Ranger sets (to name a few). I've also always liked their Pirate and Castle themes (esp. their European farm houses), taking me back to my childhood when I would stare into toy store windows at Playmobil displays. Lego should go back to some of these simple themes as opposed to Sponge Bob and modern cartoons.

I disagree. in many of the themes you can build your own things. Such as castle all of the walls come apart and you can combine as much as possible to build a super castle. And inside the town sets you can rearange the house and how it is built i think

I even made a train station for my sisters RC train from that orient princess palace set... Damn, I wish I had photographed it, it was my first (and only) Playmobil MOC! :wink:

I disagree. in many of the themes you can build your own things. Such as castle all of the walls come apart and you can combine as much as possible to build a super castle. And inside the town sets you can rearange the house and how it is built i think

MOCs are pretty limited do to the lack of numerous building pieces. Castles are the big exception.

MOCs are pretty limited do to the lack of numerous building pieces. Castles are the big exception.

Hey brickster you should get this set :

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Playmobil-4130-SuperSet...oQQcmdZViewItem

Not from that particular store ofcourse, altough it's cheap! (half the price of what it costs in the store I work @

It would look great on your lay out. I tempted to buy it myself. I phear the greatness of playmobil...

Wow, Highlandcattle, you dragged a very old topic out of the deep dark depths of cyberspace hell. :-)

I think there was some discussion about the Brickster's Playmobil collection in some other thread recently and I am still surprised seeing this. How could anyone spoiled from the wonderfull accommodatiallity

How does Playmobile make enough money to stay profitable and lego cannot?

Lego's themes mostly suck right now, and most sets of many of the good themes suck too. Yet, when Lego was continuing with old tradition and having non-jun1orized sets (up until 1996, but had an even (and uglier) change in the early 2000s), it was obvious they were losing business (someone told me that is why they switched so much... they had lower profits each year from 1994-1996 and they needed to change).

I just don't know anyone who collects or builds Playmobile.... yet I see it everywhere! Who buys it and how does the company make profits???

They have some amazing themes. If only Lego would try to do the same.

Not from that particular store ofcourse, altough it's cheap! (half the price of what it costs in the store I work @

It would look great on your lay out. I tempted to buy it myself. I phear the greatness of playmobil...

Thanks for sharing. I actually saw this recently browsing Ebay for some old western sets, but thought it was an old retired set. I don't think it's available in the US yet, but if I see it, I will definately pick one up. Playmobil sets are usually available in Europe a year earlier than the US.

I did but the last Super Set which was an anniversary western set. I esp. like this one though because of the base plate with river. These are great. Maybe I'll set up again in the future. I've got a lot of boxes in the garage.

I think there was some discussion about the Brickster's Playmobil collection in some other thread recently and I am still surprised seeing this. How could anyone spoiled from the wonderfull accommodatiallity

I just don't know anyone who collects or builds Playmobile.... yet I see it everywhere! Who buys it and how does the company make profits???

Ask Holly, she mentioned she was/is an AFOP and said that there is an online community "out there" as well (check here)...

How does Playmobile make enough money to stay profitable and lego cannot?

Well to make it simple: Lego has crap design and boxart. What do you think that mothers buy? A mobile defence tank (which screams violence ) or a happy camper ?

This is currently the most sought after toy in the store I work:

http://www.wehkamp.nl/winkelen/p_produkt.a...mmer=660659&LC=

Both boys and girls come screaming to the playmobil display and start to punch the boxes out of sheer joy!

I haven't seen a single kid do that with lego boxes. (Although: one kid was super happy he got the last of those limited edition yellow exo force mechs).

Another problem with lego is that small kids are not able to put the sets together themselves. Parents don't want to be involved.

Last but not least I think is: Playmobil does not discontinue a winner. Popular sets continue to be produced even if the theme has ended a long time ago. some playmobil sets have been in production for over ten years other only one year. Lego also ended the mail order catalog while play mobil still offers one with +/- 30 exclusives and add-on packs. (including retro-releases). Lego really needs to do this, not everybody thrusts the internet.

Well to make it simple: Lego has crap design and boxart. What do you think that mothers buy? A mobile defence tank (which screams violence ) or a happy camper ?

This is currently the most sought after toy in the store I work:

http://www.wehkamp.nl/winkelen/p_produkt.a...mmer=660659&LC=

Both boys and girls come screaming to the playmobil display and start to punch the boxes out of sheer joy!

I haven't seen a single kid do that with lego boxes. (Although: one kid was super happy he got the last of those limited edition yellow exo force mechs).

Another problem with lego is that small kids are not able to put the sets together themselves. Parents don't want to be involved.

Last but not least I think is: Playmobil does not discontinue a winner. Popular sets continue to be produced even if the theme has ended a long time ago. some playmobil sets have been in production for over ten years other only one year. Lego also ended the mail order catalog while play mobil still offers one with +/- 30 exclusives and add-on packs. (including retro-releases). Lego really needs to do this, not everybody thrusts the internet.

to be honest, i've never seen that many people buying Lego than in the last few weeks. even adults (men mostly... :-| ) can't take their eyes off of the airplane and the crane. Compare that with 7-8 years ago when Lego was not particularly the customer's best friend... In fact, this year, I've seen more people buying Lego than playmo...

to be honest, i've never seen that many people buying Lego than in the last few weeks. even adults (men mostly... :-| ) can't take their eyes off of the airplane and the crane. Compare that with 7-8 years ago when Lego was not particularly the customer's best friend... In fact, this year, I've seen more people buying Lego than playmo...

which store do you work? Might have something to do wit the public.

which store do you work? Might have something to do wit the public.

i don't work in a toy store or any other store for that matter, it was just an observation during my Lego shopping in the last few weeks. the shop that was practically 'overrun' by Lego fans was 'Dreamland' in Turnhout, just a week or so ago.

This is the point that I was making and a good point indeed. Playmobil themes are timeless. I'm thumbing through a 2005 catalogue as I type. Here'a just a few of their most popular themes:

Castle/Knights: one of the first of three themes introduced in 1974

Construction (1974 theme)

Farm (first introduced in 1978)

Pirates (first introduced in 1978)

City Life/Police (1976)

City Life/Fire Department (1978)

And even their add-ons/Playmobil Direct still offers Western sets (surprisingly Indians (rather than Cowboys) being another original 1974 theme) - not to mention the Super Set that Highlandcattle mentioned above.

These themes have continued throughout the history of Playmobil products. Could you imagine if Lego still offered Classic Castle, Pirates, and Wild West (to name a few)? Playmobil keeps the theme running and just adds more to the collection.

Plus, their quality and detail seems to improve compared to what we've seen from Lego in the past few years (with the exception of gold and silver paint coated pieces replaced by plastic molded pieces (ie. gold pieces, swords, plate armor, etc.).

Highandcattle: I just wanted to say thanks. I've been patiently awaiting this set to hit the US, and finally it did. Just received it a day or two ago.

Here's a shot of the real thing:

03-wholeset.jpg

Thanks again for mentioning it to me.

Once I got a set with a fire extinguesher in it (I lost all the other parts) and that 3 musketeers wagon. Playmobil has had the pirate theme for a long time, I wish TLC did that. :-(

playmo is the best! great colors great quality and themes!

this year they have a greek-roman line with ships and a colosseum and everything! and its all so detailed!

lets hope for a greek-roman lego theme soon!

playmo is the best!

You like it better than the cafe corner? Also, a roman or greek lego line would be nice.

and atleast playmobll aren't affraid to make women! :-)

i got a town swimming baths once and it was sooooooooo cool!

You like it better than the cafe corner? Also, a roman or greek lego line would be nice.

me and my friend were thinking of a roman theme too! it would be easy to mod that viking fortress into a collusiam!

and atleast playmobll aren't affraid to make women! :-)

i got a town swimming baths once and it was sooooooooo cool!

me and my friend were thinking of a roman theme too! it would be easy to mod that viking fortress into a collusiam!

well ofcourse i *wub* lego but playmo has done an amazing job over the years!

and they have had a building with the cafe corner feeling in production for more than 10 years!

5301.jpg

still i find playmo to be more a toy than a collector item like lego..

you can also make a greek-roman ship out of the viking one!

and if lego makes a greek-roman ship i am sure they will use the same hull as in the viking ship..

4276.jpg