Sign in to follow this  
MetroiD

Pirates' Town Square

1mainpic.jpg

2diagonalview.jpg

The newly founded Pirate town of Eurobrickia was supposed to be a nice change from the regular sight of densely packed small shacks that pirates call homes and dirty streets they'd usually roam on. That's why the town council spent quite a few bucks on paving the streets, which turned out to be a more substantial investment than initially planned. After the money was all spent, the town square was left with well-paved (for the most part) alleys and nice plants, but a semi-completed fountain, which was probably never going to be adorned by the beautiful statue the council had planned for it.

So instead, they had to play it by ear and recycle any materials they had lying around. Luckily enough, a ship's mast in pristine condition had been salvaged a few weeks earlier (it was pretty much the only thing left from The Dauntful after an engineering miscalculation had sent her to the bottom of the seas with her first broadside ever). The rest is history, as they say... The people of Eurobrickia are now used to the ship's mast which serves as the town's focal point, and they don't mind the fact that some swashbucklers find it hard to give up on their "observational" habits.

6observationnest.jpg

Soon, an old entrepreneur (which might sound like an oxymoron, but is obviously not impossible) moved to town and started selling pirate paraphernalia at the Town Square. There have been many questions raised about where he'd gotten all his hooks, hats and swords from - not to mention the parrots - but the mysterious trader has so far not shared any of his history with the townsfolk. That veil of mystery has definitely boosted his sales and by now everyone knows him and shops from him regularly - especially the kids who enjoy dreaming up stories about the hooks they see on that stand, and promise their dads that one day they are going to be able to afford a parrot and set sail towards new lands along with their trusted feathered companions. Until then though, getting a hat like the one dad has is the next best thing.

A few photographs of both our entries for the Community Build alongside each other:

c3front.jpg

c4wideangle.jpg

And the overhead shot. I've provided a photograph of both the Town Square and the Inn as they are drawn in the Town map, so that you won't have to photoedit those two.

c2overhead.jpg

You can find our other Community Building - Paddles' Inn - here.

As usual - there's more @ Brickshelf (when moderated) and @ flickr

wow, a truly beautiful job on the square, I love how the water and the tower in the middle of the fountain turned out, and the Inn is simply beautiful. Excellent work, and keep bricking :thumbup:

Nice entry! I enjoyed reading the story and now I see why there's a mast on the square. Good idea.

The small store with the parrots and other stuff is also nice.

Good job, thanks for participating!

Nice entry matey, yaaahr. :pir-sweet: I don't think you want to know where the 'entrepreneur' gets his goods. The prices on those parrots are just too good (to be true).

Oh, and those flower designs are really great.

Edited by Rick

I hope you make a modular town out of all these great entries :pir-grin:

Top work and Good Luck :thumbup:

Nice job on the townsquare matey. :thumbup:

Lots of detail and lovey-dovey pirates as well. :pir-blush:

Those are two really awesome mocs. Both look really eye catching and i love all the little details and techniques you've crammed in there. Great back story info too! Excellent work allround :pir-classic:

and they don't mind the fact that some swashbucklers find it hard to give up on their "observational" habits

I'm glad Eurobrickia is not like my town, because here they would call that swashbuckler a Peeping Tom. :pir_laugh2:

Great job! Lots of great details and a really lovely story too.

I really like your idea and your photography is awesome, especially the peeping tom shot. :pir_laugh2:

blogged.png

Did I forget to mention that the monkey is off to whack him on the head with a banana for that? He may observe all he wants, but he'd better refrain from using his spyglass for actual spying!

Oh well... that's the downside to not having had enough money to erect a nice statue. The Town Council should have thought twice!

As to the lovey-dovey pirates - the Town Council may be holding a "Pirates are warm and wonderful (and they also like flowers)" week, but that doesn't mean Mr. Observing Guy wouldn't get it from that swashbuckler down at the square if he knew what was going on... Good thing the monkeys in this town are just as "piratey" as any other residents... and so while Yimkee is busy secretly drinking rum, this one here (sorry, I didn't catch its name) is obviously a primate version of Judge Dredd :pir-tongue:

@ Big Cam: Thank you for blogging this mate :pir-sweet:

The pirate-stuff seller is just awesome! Overalll good job. :thumbup: