Sign in to follow this  
def

Lego World Show 1986

It's pointless to post a scan unless it's somewhat bigger than average, so that it's legible. I took some time scanning this, since it wasn't nearly as exciting the first World Show I went to. I remember being so excited to go to this, and not having my mind blown. It was a little sophisticated for me, and for as much as I loved Space Lego, I wasn't that into NASA. But, it was still an impressive show, especially the final display.

Here's the link to the 1984 Lego World Show, if you want to compare the two.

1.jpg

The inside cover was a gate fold opening to a four page spread.

2.jpg

3.jpg

(joined version http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nahadef/...ow/1986/2-3.jpg )

As a gatefold, it was a really bad design choice. Really big waste of money. The two outer pages were text, and the center spread was the planet Earth.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

This is the money shot. I love that they mixed actual sets in with the model. Is that the Galaxy Commander I see at the top of the display :wub:

18.jpg

19.jpg

(joined image http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nahadef/.../1986/18-19.jpg )

20.jpg

I hope you enjoyed :wink:

Bring back the Lego World Show!

I love learning about space. I love learning about space with Lego even more. Thanks for the pictures.

I agree that they should bring back the Lego World Show.

Great read. I like how they mixed in the sci-fi, classic space models alongside the more realistic sculptures. Thanks for posting this. :thumbup:

Was this included with some set? I've heard of these Lego World Shows but didn't know they made brochures like this.

Thanks for taking the time to scan these properly and post them for us, def!

The models do look impressive. I'm not a fan of non-fig scale generally, but the radar dishes look amazing.

That money shot is indeed incredible. Are they prototype 10188s in the background? :tongue:

Thanks for the scans, very interesting read and models!

Boy that last diorama is awesome! The huge carrier ship is impressive and unusual in its form-follows-function style, instructions anyone? :wink:

Was this included with some set? I've heard of these Lego World Shows but didn't know they made brochures like this.

I made a thread for the 1984 show and explained the shows there (link in my signature). But, in a nutshell, one of the big department stores in Toronto hosted a few of these as a Christmas event, this one being Christmas 1986. This book (about 8.5x11 size on high quality stock) was the souvenir program for the show. In the other thread, some Europeans mention having seen some models too. Sorry to not explain clearly in the first post.

I loved the Lego World shows...

you may have just inspired me to scan in some of my old World Show souvenir guides

In Australia, they were hosted by the Myer Department store, in Melbourne (probably went to other cities as well)

Myer also used to host Lego Building competitions.. and one year, I made it to the semi-finals... but the model I chose to build (a working replica of my fathers lathe!) didn't quite impress the judges as much as the winning 'rainbow warrior' motorcycle that some other kid built! :sceptic:

Here's a pic of the guides I have :)

The one at the front is dated 1981

Life on Earth is World Show 4, and has 1983 on the back

Travel in Space is listed as 6 on the front of my guide - all pages are the same as the OP's, except for the back page (no mention of samsonite, and has an extra paragraph) - 1985

Great Adventures is World Show 7, but has no year mentioned (guessing 86?)

Ships and the Sea is World Show 8.. again no year.. 87?

Flipping through the pages.. you can see a HUGE change in building techniques, from the early to the last ones

And I don't think it's because of a lot of new parts... the newer dioramas, and models are just more detailed

RB

That'd be great if you could do that. I only have the two I posted. It's nice to have a database of this stuff for everyone. #7 and 8 look beautiful.

That'd be great if you could do that. I only have the two I posted. It's nice to have a database of this stuff for everyone. #7 and 8 look beautiful.

I just scanned in all of mine.. and sent them along to Huw at Brickset.com

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=599

He's now got a new section for them all:

http://www.brickset.com/miscellaneous/LEGOWorldShows/

Hopefully other people will have the missing programs, and scan them in too!

RB

I just scanned in all of mine.. and sent them along to Huw at Brickset.com

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=599

He's now got a new section for them all:

http://www.brickset.com/miscellaneous/LEGOWorldShows/

Hopefully other people will have the missing programs, and scan them in too!

RB

Some of those space minifig ships and stations from the various years would be amazing to have. I wonder where they are currently located at.

I went to this show as a kid; it toured in a local department store. Thanks for posting the pictures! :sweet: