Palms

Practical uses for LEGO

Post your practical uses for LEGO here from propping up a PSP to building a working Lego safe. I have a few to show as soon as I can upload the pics.

I use mine for alot of things,some of my recent ones were a remote control cupholder,a wwll to stop my cet from going to my basement,and a box to hold stuff.

I lost a metal clip that held up the plastic splash guard on my VW. The clip was attached to a threaded post on the car body. I didn't want to buy a new clip from the dealer$ and found that a 2x2 Lego brick screwed in perfectly over the threaded post. So far so good, the splash guard is staying in place with no sag. :classic:

Not really a MOC but MOD.

Edited by dr_spock

When we moved to the new apartment, I noticed that the key locker's door was damaged.

I checked the dimensions and it was perfect, I could do everything directly out of plain system (and technic for the rotating part). The colours matched as well :)

keys.jpg_thumb.jpg

Also, I used a rigid hose to fix the program-dial on my camera :)

I used to work for a non-profit that builds affordable housing. Before the housing bust, we were building a line of small affordable homes called Cannan Homes. I was actually planning on buying one myself. For my own interest, and for the company to show at housing fairs, I used the architectural drawings to build a 1 brick to one foot scale model of the home, complete with interiors, landscaping and furnishings for the first and second floors (I didn't build the basement).

Then the market took a nosedive, the project was canceled and eventually I took apart the model. I really wish I had a picture of it.

Remember building a fan with holder when I was little.. Technic motor and a blade from a technic helicopter, worked wonders in my hot little room when building ^^

One more thing. When I was a kid, my friend who was very good a technic, made me a machine that would shake my bottles of model paint for me when I turned a crank. It was simple, but the basic back and fourth motion replicated well the shaking back and forth of a bottle by a hand.

As promised pics of my "practical uses for Lego." My PSP stand for watching movies or TV shows.

img_0876.jpg Front view of my stand, it is quite secure. Anyone want to guess what movie that shot was from :wink: .

img_0877.jpg The rear/stand. I usually Don't keep one of these built for long, but their fairly easy to assemble.

img_0878.jpgThe bottom. Unfortunately when I put the stand upside down the psp fell out partially so you can't see how the charger wire would connect :sceptic: .

Hello

Famously, the designers of the Falkirk Wheel used Lego to work out some of the engineering problems involved in its design. Does that count?

The Falkirk Wheel (in Scotland) is a giant lift mechanism that transfers boats from one canal to the other. It's awesome! :laugh: You can read more about it here

Also here is a video clip that has the designer of the wheel talking about how they used Lego (starts at about 2:30 but have a look at the model of St Pancras railway station earlier in the clip as well)

EvilTwin

(I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned on here before but a search for "Falkirk" returns no results)