Sign in to follow this  
Perterz

[MOC WIP] SportsUtilityVehicle

I'm awaiting a few BrickLink orders for this car I've been building lately.

Therefor I've decided to share some WIP pictures of the project.

I'm starting to really enjoy building these larger cars, this is my 3rd attempt, slightly bigger and again, for me, a step forwards in more technical models. At least for me as for most builders this is really basic :classic:

After a working steering wheel, I'm now experimenting with suspension. Why not build some sort off offroader to test it!

Day 1

4412301560_074faea4d9.jpg

4411537303_a21c183370.jpg

4412300932_06c4be4527.jpg

Day 2

4413056851_d865583d95.jpg

4413825004_1c83fc0d30.jpg

4413690859_3bedd53ea8.jpg

4413688965_71a2582dfe.jpg

4413689851_ccc9cf568a.jpg

4414459758_72af69a80d.jpg

Cheers!

Kevin

Looking nice, Perterz!

You've really gotten some nice details into it, really liking the "lamps", just like on the Crane truck.

Nice, I'd like to see what body you come up with. The engine is very detailed and lend a nice Model Team look along with the seats. My favourite detail would have to be the suspension going through the fork things (suspension arms?). Very efficient.

Is this for the Technic comp? If not you have a few hours...

Nice, I'd like to see what body you come up with. The engine is very detailed and lend a nice Model Team look along with the seats. My favourite detail would have to be the suspension going through the fork things (suspension arms?). Very efficient.

Is this for the Technic comp? If not you have a few hours...

No it 's not for the competition, maybe I join 1 later. Can't make it anyway as I'm awaiting parts to arrive :)

The suspension is something I've picked up when building 8048 and used it here.

this is the part steering arm ;)

Thanks!

I really like the detail you've put into the engine. Most Technic MOCs use the standard engine elements which, while functional, get kind of boring after a while and often the wrong scale for the car. Your solution, on the other hand, rivals or exceeds what I'd expect from a Model Team set. Nice work.

Looks impressive so far. You've gone for an interesting combination of functional Technic elements, such as the steering and the suspension, and detailed looks for the engine, for example. I'm interested in the way you're building this. I normally don't build technic models. Most of my (non-minifig) cars are supposed to resemble a particular make and model of car, so I start with the outside first to get the look right and then I build the supporting structure and interior detail. Do you anticipate having to make a lot of changes to the underpinnings as you build the body to go with this or do you already have a fairly detailed idea of what it's going to look like and how you're going to build it and already take all that into account while building the chassis and interior?

Cheers,

Ralph

Looks impressive so far. You've gone for an interesting combination of functional Technic elements, such as the steering and the suspension, and detailed looks for the engine, for example. I'm interested in the way you're building this. I normally don't build technic models. Most of my (non-minifig) cars are supposed to resemble a particular make and model of car, so I start with the outside first to get the look right and then I build the supporting structure and interior detail. Do you anticipate having to make a lot of changes to the underpinnings as you build the body to go with this or do you already have a fairly detailed idea of what it's going to look like and how you're going to build it and already take all that into account while building the chassis and interior?

Cheers,

Ralph

I mostly have a global image in mind design wise but I tend to freestyle on the way. The features and details are designed first and the rest will follow/adjust.

Another factor that plays in while building is visualising the car I'm building into a scene to simulate the feeling the car should bring up when you see him.

Like this one should be become some sort off holiday car, parked at the beach with some surfboard on top or something.

So yes I've a fairly detailed idea and take as much as I can into account while putting the first bricks together. In the few cars I've build I've never had to change the chassis.

I like a detailed&realistic look (like when I used to pixel cars, the rims even had valves) and I try to achieve that goal but it doesn't always work.

It seems like I can only do that when I can do what I want, I'm not sure I could replicate a real car.

Deffinatly not at your level!

Hope that answers your questions?

I really like the detail you've put into the engine. Most Technic MOCs use the standard engine elements which, while functional, get kind of boring after a while and often the wrong scale for the car. Your solution, on the other hand, rivals or exceeds what I'd expect from a Model Team set. Nice work.

Thanks, I love ModelTeam but when I was a kid I never got any, now they're pretty expensive :cry_sad:

I'm not really into Technic as I like the normal bricks and plates but I need the parts to add functional bits. Although thos complicated Technic build really look impressive and interesting!

Thanks for the appreciation!

Cheers,

Kevin.

Like this one should be become some sort off holiday car, parked at the beach with some surfboard on top or something....I love ModelTeam.

Perterz, have you ever seen the Lego car models by Lego911 (Peter Blackert)? He mostly does 12-studs-wide cars ( http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=121116 ) using Technic components underneath his Model Team-type bodies.

I mostly have a global image in mind design wise but I tend to freestyle on the way. The features and details are designed first and the rest will follow/adjust.

Another factor that plays in while building is visualising the car I'm building into a scene to simulate the feeling the car should bring up when you see him.

Like this one should be become some sort off holiday car, parked at the beach with some surfboard on top or something.

So yes I've a fairly detailed idea and take as much as I can into account while putting the first bricks together. In the few cars I've build I've never had to change the chassis.

I like a detailed&realistic look (like when I used to pixel cars, the rims even had valves) and I try to achieve that goal but it doesn't always work.

It seems like I can only do that when I can do what I want, I'm not sure I could replicate a real car.

Deffinatly not at your level!

Hope that answers your questions?

Cheers,

Kevin.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not much of a technic builder, so it impresses the hell out of me that you can start with all the functioning bits and wrap a convincing looking body around this. I look forward to seeing how you'll continue.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm guessing I'm starting all over on this one. I've not build any further as I've been busy lately with work and life. Positive thing is I've got all ordered parts to build further.

Yet as my interests in integrating technical functions into it evolve, I'm considering to make it drive.

I've purchased me a Power functions set #8293 but I'm wondering what I need for steering? Remote control? I'm a complete newbie in this se any input/help/suggestions/braincracks/etc are all welcomed and appreciated!

Rebuilding the SUV might not be the best idea as I probably have to design an entire new chassis + I'd try to make a RWD car whereas the SUV is more convincing with AWD. That is a whole other level I feel.

Kevin

There are a few threads already Eurobricks about how to go about making a Power Functions RC chassis. Searching the boards for power functions steering or something similar ought to provide a few discussions. I don't think you ought to be too concerned with whether or not you can give your vehicle AWD. Whether you'll have the room for a lot of working functions inside is doubtful and just getting a working vehicle might be hard enough. I know it took me a lot of tinkering to get the two PF RC vehicles I've built so far to work.

You'll need an IR reciever, IR remote, a battery box and at least two motors. I got all I needed from a monster Dino.

Opinions differ a bit on what's the way forward. Power functions elements are fairly chunky, so it might indeed not be advisable to try to modify an existing chassis. Starting from scratch integrating the parts is probably the way forward. The biggest issue IMO is the steering. I prefer to have self centring steering which can be achieved using some sort of spring. It gives the best control for a reasonably fast-moving vehicle, although several people have mentioned that it can lead to the motor used for the steering overheating. It's not a problem I've experienced.

Dutch builder Mahjqa has recently built a basic PF RC chassis that might be useful. He's a far more experienced technic builder than I am anyway, so he may have some more useful tips.

Cheers,

Ralph

That's a lot off usefull information and inspiration Ralph_S, thanks!

I have updates on the vehicle, I've scrapped the PowerFunctions for now and just went further on where I left it.

I've broken down the front part because it kept falling off, it needed a redesign.

Also working steeringwheel had to be done different, the axle was to 'steep' to work via the steeringwheel using a U-joint. I made a simple gear connection instead, more bulky but the parts used come in handy later on (I'm thinking about the dashboard and its possibilities).

All arches are placed, seats are a stage closer to being done and the pics show the headlights in place. I've tested a few configurations and this one looks the best I think.

I'm not exactly sure on the what the pattern with the orange painting will look like in the end. The evolution in the build will show the way.

That's it for now, any inputs are appreciated.

Day308.jpg

Day303.jpg

Day304.jpg

Day310.jpg

Day312.jpg

Day314.jpg

More on Flickr

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by Perterz

I like your blend of Technic- and Model Team-type construction. The black "cheese slopes" (1 x 1 x 2/3 slopes) defining the wheel arches look cool. The protective side step bars look realistic too. :thumbup:

I like your blend of Technic- and Model Team-type construction. The black "cheese slopes" (1 x 1 x 2/3 slopes) defining the wheel arches look cool. The protective side step bars look realistic too. :thumbup:

Yeah I wanted to test the look with those cheese slopes as wheelarches, a technique I saw being used in a Castle MOC.

I think I've seen it on cars before aswell.

Lego should bring back a Model Team theme IMHO, I missed out on them when I was a kid and they're only getting more and more expensive.

Thanks!