DLuders

Scorpion Gunship - Avatar Movie Helicopter

Check out "Barman's" fantastic Lego Technic helicopter inspired by the battle scene in the blockbuster movie "Avatar". :thumbup::thumbup: This excellent MOC was submitted as part of the Feb 2010 "Lego Technic Challenge", but a single photograph doesn't do it justice. This has got to be the COOLEST helicopter ever built using Lego parts.

Brickshelf folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=420825 .

YouTube video:

I don't want to seem rude or anything but this is kind of old news I saw this on the brothers brick a couple of

days ago :sadnew:

but anyway back on topic thats a really nice helicopter very acurate to the one in the movie.

I saw the movie thought it was awesome but then started disliking it :hmpf_bad:

Keep up the good work the guy who built that :classic:

Well, I knew that it was "old news" and that my Eurobricks post wasn't going to provide the first "scoop" about the MOC. However, for those like me who don't regularly log onto The Brothers Brick website, the helicopter may interest the Technic fans here. The February 26, 2010 Brothers Brick Story can be found here: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/02/26/l...er-from-avatar/ .

The "joystick"-type control on the top of the helicopter seems to be able to swivel the two rotors in a smooth fashion. How does "Barman" do that? :look: Maybe the joystick is connected to the Power Functions Remote Control unit (which has its two control levers connected to one central stalk). My son pointed out that there's a joystick on the "Snow Groomer" Set #8263 that could have been modeled in the Avatar helicopter model....

Edited by dluders

Well, I knew that it was "old news" and that my Eurobricks post wasn't going to provide the first "scoop" about the MOC. However, for those like me who don't regularly log onto The Brothers Brick website, the helicopeter may interest the Technic fans here. The February 26, 2010 Brothers Brick Story can be found here: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/02/26/l...er-from-avatar/ .

Sorry about that Dluders I didn't mean to be rude.

As you may have already noticed I'm not that big of a technic fan but this might make me build somthing :sadnew:

Check out "Barman's" fantastic Lego Technic helicopter inspired by the battle scene in the blockbuster movie "Avatar". :thumbup::thumbup: This excellent MOC was submitted as part of the Feb 2010 "Lego Technic Challenge", but a single photograph doesn't do it justice. This has got to be the COOLEST helicopter ever built using Lego parts.

This is indeed an epic MOC. I have previously made an LDraw file of Barman's V-8 and then built the real thing. This looks equally good if not better. If I ever find enough photographs or info, I'd be willing to build an LDraw file of this as well and share it with everyone so it can be replicated.

1-icon.jpg

[bUMP]

96330.jpg

Barman's Avatar Helicopter has been donated to "Creations for Charity" to help raise money for children [thanks, Barry! :sweet: ]. Click on the hyperlink, scroll down the list a bit, and buy it (by November 30, 2011).

"This Technic model of the 'Scorpion' 'Samson' Battle Helicopter from Avatar is highly popular on

Functions:

- rotating deal blades (PF M-motor with PF Rechargeable Battery Box)

- pitching rotor pods

- opening cockpit doors

- opening side doors

Dimensions:

- length 59 cm / 23,2 inch

- width 66 cm / 26 inch

- height 19 cm / 7,5 inch

More views

Builder's gallery

Shipped from The Netherlands"

Here is one of the nine renders by Blakbird: :thumbup:

revolve.gif

Lego Joystick System

:

107.jpg Edited by DLuders

For all of you interrested in building this fantastic model it's good to know that I'm preparing complete building instructions, including parts-list. I expect them to come online somewhere in januari. Special thanks goes to Blakbird for his huge help.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Thanks everyone for the nice and great comments

Thanks to Dluders for posting it

And special thanks to Blakbird for making the digital model and the great renders and to Jurgen for making the instruction.

Would you believe me if I told you that this one was made in 2 days? Ok first version.

Later I made a better undercarraige, cargo doors opening through spring cylinder and an improvement on the rotating rotorheads by making stands.

Edited by barman

Welcome Barman! Sorry this is a little off topic, but have you ever finished building a cab for your Kubota excavator?

tim

Welcome Barman! Sorry this is a little off topic, but have you ever finished building a cab for your Kubota excavator?

tim

Nope. I've been working on that for 3 years. Evertime Legoworld would come Iwould start working on it to finish it. I made a lot of improvements, but I got stuck at some time. It is still in one piece, but will soon be taken apart for part. I will make photos so I can make it again when I have new insperation.

Hi Barman,

I saw your Copter before and it looked really nice. But I now actually see the thing. This is one epic model!

It is much bigger and it has more functions than I first thought... :blush:

The functions work in such a smooth way; great!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jurgen Krooshoop has posted the 45.5-MB PDF Building Instructions for Barman's Lego Technic Avatar "Samson" Helicopter on his Jurgens Technic Corner (JTC). :cry_happy: Also available there is a Brickstore XML File, to enable you to make an automated order of needed parts on Bricklink. Download instructions for the XML file are on the JTC webpage. Pictures of the completed model are on Barman's Brickshelf gallery.

Thanks to Barman (Barry Bosman), Jurgmeister (Jurgen Krooshoop), & Blakbird (Eric Albrecht) for sharing them -- you make a great team! :classic:

wp68fe870b_05.jpgwpce3731e1.pngwp8ccdddbc.png

For all of you interrested in building this fantastic model it's good to know that I'm preparing complete building instructions, including parts-list. I expect them to come online somewhere in januari. Special thanks goes to Blakbird for his huge help.

With special thanks to Bladbird and Jurgen Krooshoop, I can say that Jurgen made the instuctions in record time.

Instructions Avatar helicopter

Thanks guys for all the time you spend on making the CAD-model and instructions.

Both have build the helicopter already and a lucky big spender bought it through Creations for Charity.

So... how's next :tongue:

Edited by barman

With special thanks to Bladbird and Jurgen Krooshoop, I can say that Jurgen made the instuctions in record time.

Instructions Avatar helicopter

Thanks guys for all the time you spend on making the CAD-model and instructions.

Both have build the helicopter already and a lucky big spender bought it through Creations for Charity.

So... how's next :tongue:

It would be great to add this MOC to rebrickable.com

Fantastic creation.

Jurgen Krooshoop,

I used the instructions on your site and they are working well. However, the file will not download, it says "the file is damaged" and won't download. I really want to build it so can you please try to fix the file instructions? Thanks.

@ Matthewclso: I just checked the files on my website with win XP and IE 8) where the instructions are hosted, but there is nothing wrong the file. I suggest you delete the downloaded document (the one that doesn't work) and try downloading it again. Or try it on a different PC if you can.

If nothing works, contact me through email: info@jurgenstechniccorner.com

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

The Battle Helicopter looks awesome. Thats the making ambition for the new year.

I've got the Technics Rescue Helicopter 9396 kit on the way to start off with, this will be my first ever foray into Technics .

Hoping there are some plans out there somewhere to build a Chinnook Helicopter too.

I highly recommend using Brickstore. ReBrickable will export to a Brickstore parts list which will show you all the parts, colors, quantities, and prices. You can then decide what you need and export to a Bricklink wanted list.