Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

European vs. American Train Styles

A poll based on BryanKinkel's question  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What design/style do you like better in Trains?

• European
    • American

I like a lot of European-style trains, whether streamlined high-speed trains or ordinary locomotives. Even commuter DMUs and EMUs here in Europe have their charm, whereas some of the American trains look a bit more primitive.

I think European rolling stock (train carriages) are more streamlined also, even on older trains (e.g. British Mark III carriages, which in Ireland even had automatic doors).

Trains are definately not the preferred way of travel anymore in the US, and that is unfortunate. Americans have created a culture around the freedom and independence of driving one's own car (vision of driving a classic sports car along Route 66 through the Western United States). It's unfortunate that the US has moved away from trains as a way of passenger travel (unlike Europe). Amtrack is our last federally funded train system and last I heard, they were having major financial difficulty. I've never been on one and they don't even go to every state in the U.S.

On the other hand, in the US a *LOT* of freight is moved by rail. Here in Ireland we have very little freight left travelling by rail, some of our ports are not even functionally connected to the rail network anymore!!! Northern Ireland has *NO* railfreight (the train operator there runs little beyond DMUs). Our small size isn't an excuse, it is mainly due to lack of innovation.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realise I was replying to a four year old topic and quoting a four year old post!

Edited by brickzone

I prefer the European however Europe has many kinds, trains with a similar style to the old classic lego 1980s sets are still common in Europe along with LEGO's 1990s TGV copy, think it was called the Metroliner. Probably my favourite LEGO train.

I know this is an old topic, but it still proves to hold a good conversation.

I myself am an all around train guy. I like the good ol' American freight trains, old steamers, and such, but I also like the European classic engines, and modern high speed rail as well.

I also have to add that I like Japanese trains also, particularly the Shinkasen bullet trains.

Y'know, I was kind of on the rail about this, pun totally intended, until I thought back to my childhood, and what made me want a Lego train more then anything else. I remembered the old west, the characters you could look up to, dealing justice like no other, swift and accurate, just a gun in hand, no lawyers involved. I remembered the high speed chases, the horse racing alongside the train, straining to catch it. The trains headed into the sunset, who knows where into the wild west, just steam on the horizon with Native Americans alongside. As such I was instantly knocked into the American train category, as I got into it to try to represent those beautiful old trains, and our diesels are fairly pretty to me as well.

Sure it's an old topic. But it's a good one.

I like all trains but, truth be told, I grew up in the American Southwest and was more likely to see large, American freight haulers. The European trains I associate with luxury and speed while the American trains I associate with longevity and brute strength...

Perhaps I am biased because I have a 20 year, veteran, Santa Fe railroad Engineer in the family. He actually gets to drive one of those American monsters every day. If you ask him he'll say there is nothing more beautiful than the engine he drives that day. His stories of long drives through the American Rockies and pacing coyotes through the desert near Winslow, Arizona are my favorite stories...

Want to see a beautiful train? Look up Arizona's Grand Canyon Railway! I think it would make a great Lego model!

Sure it's an old topic. But it's a good one.

I like all trains but, truth be told, I grew up in the American Southwest and was more likely to see large, American freight haulers. The European trains I associate with luxury and speed while the American trains I associate with longevity and brute strength...

I always thought American trains were underpowered.

I know that freight trains in the US pull very long rakes, but I think I've seen similarly long trains here in the Netherlands being pulled by a single NS 1800 where in the US they need two engines.

But I'm probably wrong in my thinking. Eh.

In any case, I prefer European trains over the American ones.

I always thought American trains were underpowered.

I know that freight trains in the US pull very long rakes, but I think I've seen similarly long trains here in the Netherlands being pulled by a single NS 1800 where in the US they need two engines.

But I'm probably wrong in my thinking. Eh.

In any case, I prefer European trains over the American ones.

UNDERPOWERED?!?! Typical trains here in North-East North America have 4 or 5 4000+HP locomotives pulling 100 to 150 heavily loaded freight cars, including articulated double-stack container cars. I can't speak first-hand for European trains but from pictures I've seen, they usually seem to have 30 to 50 freight cars, some of them having only 2 axles.

Having grown up with them, I prefer the long North American freight trains with their different types of frieght cars in every train. However, both budget and space make it hard to model in LEGO....

UNDERPOWERED?!?! Typical trains here in North-East North America have 4 or 5 4000+HP locomotives pulling 100 to 150 heavily loaded freight cars, including articulated double-stack container cars. I can't speak first-hand for European trains but from pictures I've seen, they usually seem to have 30 to 50 freight cars, some of them having only 2 axles

Here in Switzerland, we have engines with up to 10'000 HP, like the SBB Re 6/6 (7850kW), and I think some other countries and railway companies have powerful engines.

Since I grew up with the yellow Dutch trains, my interests lay with European trains.

Especially the ICM 'Koploper'. This type of EMU was unique for it's nose. The noses could, when coupled together, open and create a corridor. However, NS (the Dutch railways) ruined the trains by removing the system.

I think the american rolling stock looks terrible. They lack buffer beams, and that looks very weird to me. EMU's don't need them, but I don't think there are a lot of EMU's in the States, or am I wrong?

But... I have to say, my all-time favourite loc is the NS 1200 class. Designed by Baldwin, the american influence was easy to see. It was loved by the personnel. And by me. :wub:

That's the reason why I try to design one in MLCad. Difficult, but not impossible. I hope it ever gets finished and built in real.

Edited by Richie

Pesonally, I prefer European trains although I think American trains are fine. I love the modern look of the High-speed locos.

However, nothing beats the Super Chief. Come on American train haters, It's super.

Edited by Legoroni

I like modern American style of freight trains and modern European style of passenger trains.

To me it's just the modern ones I don't like. Everything has to be modern-looking and lightweight, while things like comfort seems not to be so important. I prefer the old Dutch Sprinter (SGM 74 if I'm right) above the new one (SLT). I grew up in the '90s, when rail catering was a common good, when graffiti was a rarity and when conductors didn't have to fear for their lives if someone won't pay a ticket. The days when special post trains drove between the normal passenger trains to deliver many boxes of LEGO...

About the Santa Fe: I think this is one of the greatest trains TLG has ever produced. It's not that I hate American trains, I just prefer European ones (as long as it's '80s or '90s stuff, not the modern kind). :classic:

However, nothing beats the Super Chief. Come on American train haters, It's super.

I don't think anyone's specifically hating on one style of trains... you're making that part up.

We have some differing opinions on them (over- or underpowered American locomotives being an example ;) ), but other than that we're just stating out preferences.

I prefer European trains. This does not automatically mean I hate the American style.

Edited by Melfice

Here in Switzerland, we have engines with up to 10'000 HP, like the SBB Re 6/6 (7850kW), and I think some other countries and railway companies have powerful engines.

I can only confirm your opinion. The Austrian Taurus's (serial number 1116) engine output is 10,000 HP. The Taurus type that has four pantographs (serial number 1216) might even be stronger than that. Engines of that type - though possibly with a different name - are also used in Germany and Hungary.

Back to the actual topic: I like both American and European trains.

I can only confirm your opinion. The Austrian Taurus's (serial number 1116) engine output is 10,000 HP. The Taurus type that has four pantographs (serial number 1216) might even be stronger than that. Engines of that type - though possibly with a different name - are also used in Germany and Hungary.

Back to the actual topic: I like both American and European trains.

More pantographs doesn't make an engine stronger, it allows it to drive under different overhead wires (like Switzerland, Italy ect).

More pantographs doesn't make an engine stronger, it allows it to drive under different overhead wires (like Switzerland, Italy ect).

You're right and I know that. I didn't express myself well. I just wanted to indicate that there are indeed European engines with an engine output of 10,000 HP or even higher.

I've just checked wikipedia: The Taurus engines with 2 pantographs are stronger than the ones with 4.

Edited by legotrainfan

I had to vote for the European theme even though we mainly have American units in our home collection.

My favorite train style would have to be European. British, more specifically. :classic::thumbup:

Yeah, Britain is criminally underrepresented in LEGO. Great British steam, specifically.

Although my favourite LEGO train ever would have to be Sava's Big Boy. The sheer size alone makes it amazing, and I'd love to see the real thing in real life. Especially powering up a gradient under full steam.

Edited by rday1982

Yeah, Britain is criminally underrepresented in LEGO. Great British steam, specifically.

Although my favourite LEGO train ever would have to be Sava's Big Boy. The sheer size alone makes it amazing, and I'd love to see the real thing in real life. Especially powering up a gradient under full steam.

Not sure I wold agree with that. The most prolific builders of British steam locos are probably Andrew Harvey who has built 5 and of course Carl Greatrix. Jason Railton has also built a few (there's more than in his gallery but he is rubbish at getting his MOCs photographed!) There's also loads of others from builder who are less prolific, but no less talented.

Tim

You're right and I know that. I didn't express myself well. I just wanted to indicate that there are indeed European engines with an engine output of 10,000 HP or even higher.

I've just checked wikipedia: The Taurus engines with 2 pantographs are stronger than the ones with 4.

Actualy only one paantograph is up at any time. The second one is spare, mostly used for driving in the other direction.

More panthographs mean more different power voltage possibilities to drive from one country to another in europe.

Each pantograph is connected with a different trafo to convert the power to useable voltage.

the Netherland 1.5Kv = / Belgium 3.0KV / France 25Kv Voltage list countries

I prefer european locomotives above the american locomotives, and even more so when it comes to passenger trains. There's just something about american passenger trains that just doesn't sit right with me. The exception to this would be the Santa Fe and its diesel engines, but then again, those engines sort of made it here as well, in the shape of the NOHAB Mx-locomotive, which shares its style, but has a cab at both ends.

As for the discussion of power; electric locomotives are always more powerful than diesels, but mostly so because range really isn't an issue, for obvious reasons. With that said, the SJ Dm3 iron-hauler-locomotive have for a very long time been the most powerful locomotive in the world, with 9650 HP and tractive effort at 940 Kn. By comparison, the IOREs that replace them musters some 7200HP and 600 Kn tractive effort - those always run in pairs, and go faster, so there isn't exactly any loss with the replacement.

European diesels generally are just as powerful as american diesels, mostly because they're powered by the same engines, or engines in close competition with the american.

Actualy only one paantograph is up at any time. The second one is spare, mostly used for driving in the other direction.

Voltage list countries

That's not a hundred percent true. Normally an electric engine has two pantographs in case one stops working due to whatever reason (damage, etc.). Even if it had only one pantograph, it could go forwards and backwards.

Since when is the metroliner a European train? It has Amtrak written all over it.

That being said I like European trains better than American trains.

I think the colour scheme is the only link to Amtrak. EMU's are not as common in Amerika as they are in Europe. That being said, there are French EMU's that have a very similar colour scheme to the Metroliner set as well.