Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

European vs. American Train Styles

A poll based on BryanKinkel's question  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What design/style do you like better in Trains?

• European
    • American

I can say with certainty that I prefer American freight locomotives and European passenger ones. The U.S. has completely failed to keep up with the rest of the world with modern passenger train engineering, and as a result there is no comparison in style or performance. I'm simply jealous of European passenger trains.

On the other hand, American freight trains are often created to cross the entire country with massive payloads, which is a significantly longer journey than many European freight trains are designed for. As a result, American freight trains are amazing simply because of their power. There is nothing like hearing one of these things thunder past a crossing gate, sometimes shaking the cars that are waiting on the road.

As a side note, American freight rolling stock are typically much longer than European ones, and you almost never see short fixed-axle cars with only one set of wheels at each end, which are common in Europe (or at least the U.K. and France, which is all I've managed to visit).

As a side note, American freight rolling stock are typically much longer than European ones, and you almost never see short fixed-axle cars with only one set of wheels at each end, which are common in Europe (or at least the U.K. and France, which is all I've managed to visit).

Short freight waggons with only one set of wheels at each end are also common in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and - so I believe - in all other European countries.

Short freight waggons with only one set of wheels at each end are also common in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and - so I believe - in all other European countries.

All the train companies had their own cars, types & colours.

Now there are European firms who rent rolling stock (engines and/or freight cars).

The train companies rent these when they need them, so you find the same cars all over europe.

If there is a difference, it is only a logo or so.

A lot of independent train companies are present now. These are bound to a country.

Some have only engines and some ride only 1 line, such as chemical transport between 2 chemical factories.

Chem4Rail companie

Most companies use the Class 66 diesel

Common electrical engines are Traxx & Siemens Taurus

A lot of independent train companies are present now. These are bound to a country.

Some have only engines and some ride only 1 line, such as chemical transport between 2 chemical factories.

Chem4Rail companie

Most companies use the Class 66 diesel

Common electrical engines are Traxx & Siemens Taurus

Funny you mention Rail4Chem, as they purchased those two engines back in 2007:

1284-0028v.jpg

That's no joke. Refitted them with current security equipment (ZUB, Eurobalise, GSM-R Radio) and made them fit for regular service, only to not do it.

Those Ae 4/7 where built in 1927.

So, diverse rollingstock here in Switzerland (and Europe).

I prefer the European models because they're more familiar to me and because IMHO there is much more variety, but obviously I like the American models too.

Funny you mention Rail4Chem, as they purchased those two engines back in 2007:

1284-0028v.jpg

That's no joke. Refitted them with current security equipment (ZUB, Eurobalise, GSM-R Radio) and made them fit for regular service, only to not do it.

Those Ae 4/7 where built in 1927.

So, diverse rollingstock here in Switzerland (and Europe).

R4C was bought by Veolia in 2008, pity, I liked their liveries

Edited by talltim