Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

European vs. American Train Styles

A poll based on BryanKinkel's question  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What design/style do you like better in Trains?

• European
    • American

traintech1.jpg

I thought this would make a good poll. Bryan wrote:

Here is a question - what style trains do you like?

The 12V line included German style steam engines (such as 7750) and the classic 7740 Inter-city set. Both of these are based on prototypes from Germany's DB line. The 4551 Crocodile engine looks like a European design.

LEGO then did some American style trains in the 9V line. The 4558 Metroliner comes to mind. And of course the 10020 Sante Fe Super Chief and 10133 BNSF locomotive are American.

Now LEGO seems to be moving back towards European designs with the 2006 RC line.

So which do you prefer? This may be a loaded question considering this is Eurobricks.

Me? I prefer the European styles. I enjoy flipping through the Marklin HO catalog for building ideas.

-- Bryan

Just one thing (and sorry for you :biggrin: ) but the metro liner is the exact replica of the french train called "RER" which is the most used train in the parisian region. So I doubt we could consider the design as american :biggrin: Other than that, I prefer the european trains because I find their design more classy. And we also have various different high speed trains (ICE, TGV,...) which are really cool in term of look. I also think that we maybe have a more developped train culture in Europe. Because all the country are closed to each other, we use the trains a lot as a way to go from country to country whereas it seemed to me that US people tended to use more then air way

I have to go 100% for old classic US train !!!!

As a kid I was travelling in the US and I always loved their classic engines look !!! I love their design and the noise of their whistles !!!!!

Go to Santa Fe and visit the kind of train museum there its awsome !!!!

Its like a movie, you revive in your head the great West !!!!! Yeay !!!!!

But I really despise the Metroliner for the reasons Jipay announced: its our horrible (and I'm being polite here) RER: yuk yuk yuk !!!!

But I agree with Jipay that concerning modern looking trains I would have gone for European trains !!!

Yoda

personally, I don't like US train.

Also, US style's Lego..........

Because ONLY US likes that.. but the rest of the world........

:glare: :glare:

to me it's a question of principles, really. Lego's main market is europe, it's a european company, so it's only logical to have lots of European train models. I don't think many european train builders are waiting for those heavy american freighter trains. they're waiting for the typical models lego used to build, ages ago:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=727-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=7755-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=7760-1

it's like cars. you don't drive around in this huuuuge american car in a European city. they're just not compatible...

the thing is, in the last few years, lego has spent lots of time and effort into designing great american models, and we poor Europeans, we got crappy designed metroliners! :mad: i think lots of lego fans would choose the european style if lego were only to produce models of that detail...

guess what i voted :biggrin:

Just one thing (and sorry for you :biggrin: ) but the metro liner is the exact replica of the french train called "RER" which is the most used train in the parisian region. So I doubt we could consider the design as american :biggrin: Other than that, I prefer the european trains because I find their design more classy. And we also have various different high speed trains (ICE, TGV,...) which are really cool in term of look. I also think that we maybe have a more developped train culture in Europe. Because all the country are closed to each other, we use the trains a lot as a way to go from country to country whereas it seemed to me that US people tended to use more then air way

I stand corrected. I always thought the metro was more an American train (Washington DC has a nice metro too (not at all like a New York subway). In any case, I do like the metroliner and it's one of the highest rated trains among train collectors.

Trains are definately not the preferred way of travel anymore in the US, and that is unfortunate. Americans have created a culture around the freedom and independence of driving one's own car (vision of driving a classic sports car along Route 66 through the Western United States). It's unfortunate that the US has moved away from trains as a way of passenger travel (unlike Europe). Amtrack is our last federally funded train system and last I heard, they were having major financial difficulty. I've never been on one and they don't even go to every state in the U.S.

But to me, I like old Western steam trains the best (which share some similarity to the old German steam trains (which I also like). I agree with Xwingyoda on this. I'd love to see Lego make a detailed model.

I usually use the train to come back to my home for the holliday, so I know what it means to take the train. and personnaly, I would happy to see more specific trains of each country, like TGV or Teoz for the french, but I know it would be impossible...

I usually use the train to come back to my home for the holliday, so I know what it means to take the train. and personnaly, I would happy to see more specific trains of each country, like TGV or Teoz for the french, but I know it would be impossible...

I think the problem is that the trains are a bit big to do different ones for each country, and even if you did, you would only buy the train without motor/track etc.

It would be nice if they could be issued as promotional items by the national railways (Like you see with some of the ferries & aircraft), maybe if you did more than x train journeys, or bought an yearly season ticket.

Obviously they would need a simple design, to keep the price down though.

Jof

That's a neat thought, "Trains from Different Countries"- one every few months from somewhere different.

I doubt Lego would ever go for such an idea. It takes them 2-3 years just to make one now. I've always wanted to see Lego do something like this (Christmas train cars, castles, monuments, etc.). It would make a great collection of sets. Lego is too busy trying to mimic what the kids watch on TV.

That's a neat thought, "Trains from Different Countries"- one every few months from somewhere different.

I have often thought a subscription program could part of the marketing program for LEGO. BrickMaster has the automatic delivery mechanism in place, but unfortunately the sets are not exclusive or unique. Instead you get a smallish set from whatever the current hot product line is.

LEGO takes a tremendous amount of time to get a product to market. But this time has been cut significantly over the past few years as part of the turnaround operations. And I believe Jakes said recent train offerings from Shop At Home have been produced in a matter of months.

Train fans have generally been well served by LEGO. There have been several new trains, service packs and re-releases since 2000. We have all seen what LEGO is doing with the "Play Train" line (new track and RC) - it will be interesting to see what, if anything, LEGO does for trains distributed via S@H before then.

-- Bryan

European deffo.

The thing is, the American trains lack character, it's just a hunk of metal to pull lots of freight IMO.

Wheras sets, like the new ones, look kind of quirky. The ICE style one is super cool, and the net green freght one is establishing that LEGO wants to get back to the way it was.

The thing is, the American trains lack character,

Isn't that a bit harsh? ;-)

it's just a hunk of metal to pull lots of freight IMO.

Yeah, but TONS of it, big, huge, almost majestic! Nothing better than a looooooong intermodal train with lots of locomotives in front of it, GPs preferrably :'-)

It's probably because Americans see "their" trains everyday and Europeans "theirs" and the human being tends to be more interested in "new" stuff than everyday stuff...

I voted American, though it was only by a slim margin. I simply love the bull-dog look common to American engines. They look mean, yet somehow loveable. European passenger trains tend to look nicer, but I have never been particularly fond of them. I prefer the workhorse quality of a freight train. I do like LEGO's swing towards Euripean engines as it brings variety, and the American look is beginning to wear thin.

Also...

I find that alot of people are quite snobbish about this sort of thing though, often equating differences in engineering to some form of cultural sophistication. Just as Europeans constantly knock American cars, television and culture, it seems that many Europeans also scoff at American locomotives simply because they are American. It has been my experience that people judge Americans too harshly, presuming them and anything associated with them to be inferior.

The problem of course is, I don't judge any one thing by its national origin. I don't like all American trains, just as I don't like all European trains. And it may surprise you, but not all American cars are rubbish, while some European vehicles aren't worth their weight in recycled metal. The world doesn't deal in absolutes.

Later.

American. European trains just look snobby. LoL.

Like blueandwhite said... I love the bulk, powerful look of them. American gets my vote.

I like the old western-style trains the best. I have been toying with the idea of building a western train station - but haven't really gotten around to it yet. So I guess I'm voting for US trains. However that doesn't mean I don't like the european ones :'-)

Western was another example of a theme that really worked, but LEGO killed too early.

This theme needs to be brought back, in fact, LEGO just need to pick up any catalogue from 1990-1999 and copy what they had their.

I prefer American ones, particularly the old west style ones! And we finally have one thanks to that Toy Story 3 set! Though I've got nothing against European ones, and I do like some of those! And I do like some diversity(i.e., European and American locos in the same museum or railway)!

Do you realize this topic is over four years old? Even though I appreciate your interest in Wild West trains (esp. since I started this topic back in 2006), as a new member to EB, I think you need to look at when these topics were discussed before replying. Much appreciated.

Do you realize this topic is over four years old? Even though I appreciate your interest in Wild West trains (esp. since I started this topic back in 2006), as a new member to EB, I think you need to look at when these topics were discussed before replying. Much appreciated.

You're probably right. Guess I oughta stop looking back there!

I'm a great fan of 12 volts era and I'm european too, so it's easy to choose european style! :laugh:

However Super Chef Santa Fe and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe are two masterpieces! :thumbup:

European for me. Firstly, I live in Europe and see more of them, (though admittedly mainly British and Irish....) and secondly, as I'm a dedicated 6-wider, the smaller size of loco is easier to fit to 6-wide.

Well, since it's been bumped I might as well add that... I love them both, but lean more towards the bulkiness of an American Freightliner.

I'm an American myself, and although I have carried a great fascination for American light-rails, passenger trains and city transit liners even to this day, I have to say that I favor European designs, because of their sleekness.