Sign in to follow this  
BryanKinkel

Trains - European or American?

Here is a question - what style trains do you like?

The 12V line included German style steam engines (such as 7750) and the classic 7740 Inter-city set. Both of these are based on prototypes from Germany's DB line. The 4551 Crocodile engine looks like a European design.

LEGO then did some American style trains in the 9V line. The 4558 Metroliner comes to mind. And of course the 10020 Sante Fe Super Chief and 10133 BNSF locomotive are American.

Now LEGO seems to be moving back towards European designs with the 2006 RC line.

So which do you prefer? This may be a loaded question considering this is Eurobricks.

Me? I prefer the European styles. I enjoy flipping through the Marklin HO catalog for building ideas.

-- Bryan

"Unfortunately" I have to say that I can't decide :glare:

I absolutely love the 7740 and think it's the best ever LEGO train. When it was on the market my parents couldn't afford it, so I still don't own one.

On the other hand I also like the SF and the BNSF with the TTX waggon. I think those big, "heavy" American engines with 200 intermodal waggons look great when they make their way through the American west.

I grew up across a train station here in Austria, so I guess I have seen enough of European trains. If there's an interesting design I'm still interested, though :wink:

it's a good question. i've never seen real european lego trains. sure, we now have the ice train, but that's basically german. We still haven't seen the typical cargo trains (the green -yellow diesel locs; "the dutch Hondekop",...) you see in the Benelux and Germany. No crockodile either.... Lego has never been a European company from that point of view. They mostly focused on American heavy locs, as if Europeans are really waiting for those...

Anyway, i love both, even tho they're expensive...

"Unfortunately" I have to say that I can't decide :glare:

I absolutely love the 7740 and think it's the best ever LEGO train. When it was on the market my parents couldn't afford it, so I still don't own one.

In 1980, my parents took a trip to Germany. They came back with a stack of LEGO catalogs and set 361 for me. (picture)

One of the catalogs was the classic 1980 European Trains catalog. I've been hooked on LEGO trains ever since.

At that time, both trains and castle (yellow) were only available overseas. I think that is one reason I like "European" looking sets.

-- Bryan

Very good question? Let's see:

Lego's first 12V train sets were modeled after the German DB trains. These bring back a lot of fond memories for me, very nostalgic. I always enjoyed these sets esp. the shorter black engines with red base plates reminiscent of the German DB. Most of the train sets over the years seem to have continued this trend with the exception of the Metroliner, more an Amtrack or U.S. passenger train (with the red, white, and blue stripe). I loved the DB train sets on their blue track and the later 80s trains. I wish I had some of these to this day as they remind me of why I love Lego trains.

But with the introduction of the My Own Train lines in the 90s came the era of the U.S. train models. The MOT engine, I think, is most like an 1800s American steam train (perhaps a 4-4-0 or 2-8-0), esp. with the red caboose. And the green passenger car, a very nice addition to this theme. Later, we saw the Santa Fe Super Chief which has to be the most detailed Lego train model to date, followed by the BNSF engine with brilliant orange and dark green colors. And then the cargo trains (both green) returned us to the European design.

It is rather hard to compare the European and the American trains based on the fact that they were designed and produced during different eras. If I had to say which models are better, (not because I am American), I would have to say the American trains because of the detail of the two best single engines Lego has produced (SFSC and BNSF). I don't have the old red crocodile engine to compare them with.

I don't like any of the new passenger trains which remind me more of high-speed "Japanese" bullet trains (I'm not familiar with ICE). I am partial to the old American Western trains though. But the DB/European trains will always remind me of early Lego trains, and bring back fond memories of looking at catalogues with pictures of these trains. I'm still waiting for Lego to produce a detailed model of an old Western Steam Train like the Super Chief.

Good question Bryan. I had a similar experience in the 80s purchasing a train while in Germany but ended up taking it back because of the US/European power difference. Instead, my grandparents bought me the yellow castle which I still have to this day. I still wish I had some of those early European trains, which will always be the "original" Lego trains for me.