???theriddler???

Batman Films Discussion

I am counting down the days! This movie looks great, I didn't really think that Nolan could outdo TDK, but judging on the trailer he could very well pull it off! Time to get my tickets to see it in IMAX at midnight... :sweet:

I like the Nolan movies myself. They're far different than classic Batman, but one of the things I love most about Batman is that he's such an iconic character that anyone can really offer up their re-interpretations of the franchise. There have certainly been countless comics that diverge from the Batman canon-- just see here.

I always enjoy seeing other people put their "spin" on established characters as long as the actual storytelling is still enjoyable. Sure, it's great when an adaptation is faithful to its source material, but I don't consider that the only measure by which adaptations can be judged.

I have never seen Batman Begins, but I loved The Dark Knight and am hoping that this third installment in Nolan's trilogy won't lose that film's unique charm.

Edited by Aanchir

Really, watch Batman Begins first (especially since the third one will have roots from Batman Begins in it ;) ).

Batmans Begins is perhaps even a tad better then the Dark Knight.

The only thing that I like is the promise that it's the end of Nolan trashing Batman! :wub:

Amen! "Epic conclusion" was the best thing about the trailer. I can't help but feel that so far I don't feel even a bit hyped about it. Even TDK rose my interest after the trailer. This one doesn't touch me at all. :hmpf_bad:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Amen! "Epic conclusion" was the best thing about the trailer. I can't help but feel that so far I don't feel even a bit hyped about it. Even TDK rose my interest after the trailer. This one doesn't touch me at all. :hmpf_bad:

Even as someone who loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I admit that I'm not overly interested in The Dark Knight Rises. For one, I don't see how that masked man in anyway resembles Bane. :sceptic:

I liked Nolan's Joker, and Scarecrow should have got more screen time, but this Bane seems like more like a generic mobster than a drug induced superhuman with immense strength. I like to see different takes on characters, but there has to be some similarities to the source material.

There seems to be too much exploding and death in this film and not enough plot. Batman isn't a war film. I really hope that I'm wrong. :sadnew:

Even as someone who loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I admit that I'm not overly interested in The Dark Knight Rises. For one, I don't see how that masked man in anyway resembles Bane. :sceptic:

I liked Nolan's Joker, and Scarecrow should have got more screen time, but this Bane seems like more like a generic mobster than a drug induced superhuman with immense strength. I like to see different takes on characters, but there has to be some similarities to the source material.

There seems to be too much exploding and death in this film and not enough plot. Batman isn't a war film. I really hope that I'm wrong. :sadnew:

One could also say Batman isn't a political/ crime drama or a story of an unlikely hero formed from a Ninja-assasin going rogue. But it happened, and it worked.

This is about telling a bold finale in more ways then one, and having Batman fight for what he believes is right in a mental, physical, and societal manner allows for a much deeper perspective on the man and the Bat. This is what made TDK strong, and I have hopes it will make TDKR even stronger.

Its also important to note the film is based on A Tale of Two Cities by our favorite Charles Dickens, a story of the French Revolution. This sets up the idea that Bane may be more than "a mobster" but a man who wants to take down the powers of Gotham. This does parrelel the comics, where Bane is trained by none other then Ra's Al Ghul himself to take down Batman and his city.

These Nolan films are about characters and morality, and if you chalk it down to that alone from what one knows about this film, as of now, TDKR Bane will be very much in the spirit of comic Bane. Yes it is a risky choice of villian and a dramatic visual change, but it seems reasonable not to expect magic strength juice in a dramatic Bat film, and frankly a mexican wrestler does not give off a scary or intellectual vibe. I think what people forget about movies is that they don't change elements of the original work just to piss the fans off, they change them because a story is told in more than just words.

But we'll see when the film is released, there is room to fail and to succeed.

Edited by the last chronicler

After the Joker who attacked Batman in a more mental way, he was physical seen no match for Batman, it is a good aspect to bring in Bane who is a physical threat to the Batman. Plus he seems an intelligent terrorist. Seeing the league of shadows back is good. What will be crucial to the movie is how Catwoman is potrayed and written into the storyline.

Batman isn't a war film. I really hope that I'm wrong. :sadnew:

No, you're right. Batman isn't a war film. :grin:

I grow rather tired of all that "physical challenge" talk, frankly. Dammit, give Batman a dozen buffed-up thugs and here's your physical challenge for him. You don't need Bane for that in the film. THIS Bane I mean! Bane is in no way a mental threat to Batman and never were, even in comics. He broke the Bat morally, yes, but there was a whole lot of parallel things going on in Batman's life, something you can't throw in one separate film, which is obviously action-oriented. :hmpf_bad:

Good day, ladies and gentleman! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

No, you're right. Batman isn't a war film. :grin:

I grow rather tired of all that "physical challenge" talk, frankly. Dammit, give Batman a dozen buffed-up thugs and here's your physical challenge for him. You don't need Bane for that in the film. THIS Bane I mean! Bane is in no way a mental threat to Batman and never were, even in comics. He broke the Bat morally, yes, but there was a whole lot of parallel things going on in Batman's life, something you can't throw in one separate film, which is obviously action-oriented. :hmpf_bad:

Good day, ladies and gentleman! ) :classic:

Actually, he was a genius. The Venom not only affects his strength, but his intellect as well. This Bane, I admit, is a bit of a drastic change, but he has two elements from the Bane that I know that really make him Bane: his obvious hatred for Batman and his unique brand of wanton destruction and mass murder, all to get the attention of the Bat. I could even go so far as to argue that he is, in fact, accurate to his comic appearences in intellect and personality; the main problem I have with the Nolan movies is Batman himself. The voice; ouch. The overall personality/approach, not Batman. He's way too violent, and slightly corny ("This isn't a car" "Not everything", to name two from the new trailer). Same for Catwoman, from what I've seen from this new trailer ("My mother told me to never get in a car with strangers" "You've given these people everything, and they've given you nothing! Why do you still defend them?", etc. etc.) Bane is, IMO, actually the one character that is actually somewhat accurately portrayed in this movie, like Joker before him. :classic:

This does parrelel the comics, where Bane is trained by none other then Ra's Al Ghul himself to take down Batman and his city.

Actually, Bane first met Ra's some time after Knightfall in the 4 issue mini-series "Bane of the Demon".

...but he has two elements from the Bane that I know that really make him Bane: his obvious hatred for Batman...

That is no "distinguishing mark" of Bane.

He had his "vision" about the Bat back in Santa Prisca. It was his "mission" to prove, that he is better than the Bat(man), so he could rule Gotham City. It was never about "Beating Batman, because he hates him".

He had his "vision" about the Bat back in Santa Prisca. It was his "mission" to prove, that he is better than the Bat(man), so he could rule Gotham City. It was never about "Beating Batman, because he hates him".

No, it wasn't. He believed they were on a collision course because of the vision, so he set out to defeat Batman. He then, after being defeated by Batman, took more of a 'classic-villain'-type rivalry with the Bat, and then continued to try to 'break him', morally, mentally, and physically. After Batman stopped numerous attempts at this (The one in AA prominent), he began to hate Batman. This can be relatively evident in the Bane sidequests of AC.

Not sure why everyone hates on the Christian Bale Batman, the voice is just part of the disguise and the portrayal of Batman's dark history. It was maybe a little too strong in The Dark Knight, but Batmans anger and violence helped to show Joker's effect on Bruce's mentality, and reflected his need to avenge the death of his parents through fighting crime.

Oh, and Darth, those cheesy peices of dialog are called one liners, and they make up most of the comedy in superhero films. Better get used to them :tongue: .

PS: Also the point I guess I was trying to make about Bane is that he has multiple conections to big scale terrorism yet to be seen in the Dark Knight Rises. Ra's Al Ghul being part of that. If the film makers choose to give Bane more reasons to attack the Bat and Gotham than that should just deepen the character beyond what the comics originally conceptualized.

Actually, Bane first met Ra's some time after Knightfall in the 4 issue mini-series "Bane of the Demon".

Words taken from my mouth. Love for destruction and hatred for batman can be applied to like half of Batman rogue gallery. Bane is more a very selfish, very self-oriented person, who doesn't hate Batman because he's Batman, but rather sees him as an obstacle on his way to his idea of "perfection".

After Batman stopped numerous attempts at this (The one in AA prominent), he began to hate Batman. This can be relatively evident in the Bane sidequests of AC.

I don't get it. Either you adress to comics or the Rocksteady games. They are in no way connected and don't have any common timeline.

I don't get it. Either you adress to comics or the Rocksteady games. They are in no way connected and don't have any common timeline.

That's a bit because I read the comics as a kid and now play the Rocksteady games, so they're all in one big timeline for me.

Also, the last chronicler, I have seen quite a few superhero movies, but these one-liners (Thanks for that new word by the way :grin: ) are some of the worst-worded I've seen.

That's a bit because I read the comics as a kid and now play the Rocksteady games, so they're all in one big timeline for me.

Also, the last chronicler, I have seen quite a few superhero movies, but these one-liners (Thanks for that new word by the way :grin: ) are some of the worst-worded I've seen.

I find it tough to judge 5 word sentences out of context, but just as Batmans voice sounds riduculous out of context so does his dialog.

Frankly I liked the car line, I was little worried after trailer 2 that they had forgotten how to write a balanced script, but the classic insert of the funny line of dialog at the end of 3 shows they know how to break tension in context.

Also, we really can't get much deeper into discussing the motivations of Bane without seeing the film itself, but I'm confident they are using the comics as a basis. Certainly these elements won't come in the same order or style as the comics, but that is the case of any villian in the comic book genre. These choose a character and motivations that best suit the plot.

Also, I must admit that when I first saw the image of Bane holding a picture of Harvey Dent up wearing his long jacket, before much else had been revealed, I immediatly thought French Rev. I was excited at the prospect not just because of all the revolutions in North Africa, but because of the economic crisis in the United States. It was the perfect set up for contextual realism. Of course, trailer 2 double confirmed this, and the fact that I guessed the plot correct and it had been based on a French Revolution novel has made me excited. This will be a very unique film, and it's the kind of film I really want to see.

I'm not too familiar with Bane, so I'm glad they are bringing him into this movie. It is a nice change up from more common villains in the Batman universe.

I like Christopher Nolan's version of the Batman "legend," so I have been more than happy with how the last two movies have been handled. I am unsure on how Anne Hathaway will come off because I picture Selina Kyle as sexy and I don't find Anne Hathaway as sexy. I can see her being a bad-megablocks Catwoman, but not necessarily the sexy, sultry Selina. But I am not holding that against the movie.

I will never understand everyone's hatred for the voices in the movies. I can clearly understand Batman's growl and Bane's speech. I actually preferred Bane in the 2nd trailer compared to the enhanced voice in the 3rd. I think the growl is perfect to add in fear and secrecy for the alter-ego.

I think I am most excited for this new Batman movie since Batman has always been my favorite hero. So when I watch the trailer I get goosebumps. That is probably also because of Hans Zimmer doing the score. I don't think I've ever not liked his work.

I also didn't picture the one-liners as cheesy. They seemed like something anyone would say. I thought they added a little more humanity to the fictional universe.

I wish I could add more about the mythos behind the characters and get into that debate, but I don't know too much about it. From what I've read, Bane has been a good strategist, so he should bring about a good mental and physical component to the show.

Let's wait and see.

I will never understand everyone's hatred for the voices in the movies. I can clearly understand Batman's growl and Bane's speech. I actually preferred Bane in the 2nd trailer compared to the enhanced voice in the 3rd. I think the growl is perfect to add in fear and secrecy for the alter-ego.

I think the problem most people have with Batman's voice is that Christan Bale seriously amped up the gruffness in The Dark Knight, to the point where he sounded like he had a frog in his throat and/or one too many bottles of alcohol in his system. It was fine in Batman Begins IMO, and they should have kept it like that.

As for Bane, I could understand his voice fine in the first trailer, and I'm not sure I like the apparent editing they've done to it since then. He sounds less threating in the latest trailer - but who knows, it might turn out just fine. When the teaser for The Dark Knight came out, I commented that Heath Ledger's Joker didn't seem to have the best laugh, but I ended up loving everything about his performance. All I know for sure is, I haven't seen a Nolan film that I haven't enjoyed. :wink:

Edited by Zarkan

Those TV spots got me excited almost as much as the trailers.

Can't wait to see this. :grin:

Did anyone else see the DKR footage from the MTV awards show? I saw it online but it looks like Warner Bros has taken it down. It is a new trailer that is about 1:20 long, but I don't know if WB will ever release it to the public or not. It showed some new footage, including Bane's lair and cars stacked up in front of a tunnel. Based off of that scene and the scene of the bridges collapsing, I'd say that Bane wants to seperate Gotham from everyone else. I seriously can't wait for July 20.

Dark-Knight-Rises-Bane-Catwoman-Details-Origins-Abilities.jpg

This is probably the movie I'm most excited for this year, other than the Avengers of course. Anne Hathaway looks awesome as Catwoman, and it'd be interesting to see how Christopher Nolan is gonna wrap up his trilogy, which is by far superior to Joel Schumacher's series in my opinion.

Anyone else?

Unfortunately in my country the film comes out on the 26th, instead of the 20th like most of the world, so that probably means no internet for a week for me. :cry_sad:

For those wanting to avoid spoilers, avoid the David Letterman show. There is a bit of an uproar over his interview with Anne Hathaway