CopMike

REVIEW: 8683 Minifig series 1 -

I love all the minifigs in this collection but I'm thinking that they will cost more then $1.99. At least $2.99. The build-a-minifig packs are 3 minifigs per pack for $10 If they do end up being $1.99 that will be a steal of a deal! :grin:

Indeed, but all the official word I've seen indicates these really will have an MSRP of $1.99 each. Of course, the retailers will have the last word on how much they actually cost - I don't particularly expect Toys 'R' Us to carry them for that much, for example. ;) But apparently LEGO itself, at least, will indeed sell them for $1.99 in its own stores and through Shop at Home.

I'm glad they aren't coming out yet though. There is still a lot to collect for me! They come out with so much stuff it's crazy. If I was rich I would have this kool big Legoland room lol.

Oh, goodness, tell me about it. :cry_sad:

Does anyone think these new parts won't be new anymore? Like the skater hair, it's being used for Ron and Max, and the helmet from SP. Hopefully they will, so I won't have to A)save up as much as I can and get them all* before they go away or B)wait until they're on Bricklink for annoyingly high prices.

Back to the brave explorer in space: what would he look like in his natural habitat?

Don't know why everyone wants the cheerleader just because you can tell who it is :tongue: ...

*Except the diver, don't know why but I'm sick of Lego divers :sceptic: .

On the quality of this minifig- I can´t see any difference to other white new minifigs that I have. If I´m wrong let me know then, I´ll gladly do a poodle :grin:! I guess white is a pretty easy color to do.

Well, mine was 4568039 and the Polish one 4559116. BUT, I checked a bunch of other bags with different minifigs inside them (didn´t feel as bulky as the Spaceman) and all of them had 4568039. So, I don´t know why or how this works. I would go for the feel technic :wink:!

Probably Batch number/Box number

Thanks for the review, Copmike! Glad to see that the quality is high and they're not using the rumored "random parts" method of distrubuting them. And, considering how cheap they are, I'll be sure to pick up at least a few of these when they come to my area. :thumbup:

Edited by Grevious

Thanks for the Review CopMike! :thumbup:

He looks lovely! :cry_happy: Especially his gun. :wub:

Am I right in thinking that each fig has its own set number?

If so, someone could get a list of the numbers for each fig, so that if anyone gets the cheerleader, then all CopMike needs to do is search for a specific number and he'll get her! :sweet:

Thanks again for the Review!

CommanderFox

Am I right in thinking that each fig has its own set number?

If so, someone could get a list of the numbers for each fig, so that if anyone gets the cheerleader, then all CopMike needs to do is search for a specific number and he'll get her! :sweet:

CommanderFox

Well ....... :wink:
Well, mine was 4568039 and the Polish one 4559116. BUT, I checked a bunch of other bags with different minifigs inside them (didn´t feel as bulky as the Spaceman) and all of them had 4568039. So, I don´t know why or how this works. I would go for the feel technic :wink:!

Thanks for the review, CopMike. This is the fig I want most, and it looks great by my reckoning. I do hope that some of the new accessories and parts will find their way into upcoming sets. Shame there's no back print, but the new gun and 3 wide light bar more than makes up for it. The new SP3 helmet looks nice in white, and I love the Classic Space logo on the front of his suit. Hoping I manage to snatch one on my first try as well.

Still curious why TLG is marketing these in blind packaging. Guess they figure the die-hards like us will spend alot buying figs until we get the particular one(s) we're after.

Quote 'I would go for the feel technic !'

The cheerleader might enjoy that ! :devil:

Just joking 'Cop Mike', anyway are we going to have any more reviews yet, there is another 15 from this series to go - no pressure ! :grin:

So these are $1.99 USD right so I would expect that to be $3.50-3.99 AUD - well I guess that's not too bad for what you get is either mega-rare or the never-being-done-before minifigs.

I'm a conformist! everyone !

Do you realize that you just spent more text complaining about people who complain about quality than any of them actually spent complaning?

Please go topic to topic and start adding it up. I am referring to a forum-wide situation, not just here. The issue was covered here after the first question was answered, but did it stop there? No, of course not. It's like a flood of whining voices trying to overpower the truth by sheer volume, and you think I 'spent more text' on it? :laugh:

Personally I like to know what other people think about changes Lego makes to their products and I think shifting manufacturing from Europe to China is worth talking about.

Then do that in a topic devoted to that. This topic wasn't started to provide yet another place to duplicate all of that discussion. Have all the other previous shifts been worth talking about? Do you even know all of the previous changes? Maybe you could point me to those topics, or better yet, to 100 topics cluttered up with that being interjected constantly.

And as a side note, you state that "LEGO is intended to be a toy first and foremost", but I'm pretty sure Lego is marketing these minifigures as collectible - they come with a display stand and the packaging reads "16 to collect"

$1.99 collectibles, like packs of trading cards or Happy Meal toys. They use those exact same methods and price points as those items. Gotta catch 'em all, right? I'm pretty sure you can see the difference in this and a $100 figurine, for example, right?

I think the point is that even when one of the most respected EB members indicates that the quality of the minifigs is up to standards, a discussion about 'cheap Chinese plastic' tends to erupt in this thread. Many EB threads over the past months have evolved into discussions on ABS quality, even though 'Quality issues' have their own thread in the 'General' forum. These discussions make many threads annoying to read. The same goes for US vs. European prices. Sure, it's an issue, but it shouldn't 'pollute' every other thread.

It's so nice when someone gets it. I know that a lot of you do because I hear the comments, but it's good to see it publicly stated sometimes as well.

Thanks for the great review CopMike! :thumbup:

The minifig looks great and I'm starting getting more and more excited about the release of those. :sweet:

Thanks for the very useful feedback concerning quality and..errr...touching. :grin:

Polybag frenzy!

Good luck on your cheerleader hunt Copmike. I think you can feel her pumpkins trough the packaging :tongue:
:oh: tell me he meant pom-poms, please God, somebody tell me this man meant pom-poms....

:laugh:

Reading this just made my day!

I can see myself spending a small fortune on these,$1.99 sounds even better when converted into proper money-£1.31 lol!Does sound very cheap however.

Whilst i'll buy them regardless,it would be much better to actually know what you are buying instead of a lucky dip type deal :sceptic:

I really hope these things will actually be on sale within reach of me. I'm not sure if my local toy store will bite. They don't do the existing minifig impulse sets.

Just a question or two about your thinking when reviewing this, if I may. Why'd you go with LEGO Town? I know most of these figs are regular people, but you did get a spaceman, why not put it in Other Themes? And are people expecting each minifig to be reviewed separately? Your thread title isn't spaceman-specific, and I agree that that's probably enough.

I can see myself spending a small fortune on these,$1.99 sounds even better when converted into proper money-£1.31 lol!Does sound very cheap however.

Whilst i'll buy them regardless,it would be much better to actually know what you are buying instead of a lucky dip type deal :sceptic:

I read somewhere here that the actual UK price will be £1.99.

Thanks for the review CopMike.

I'm going to have to try the groping method to find the ones I like when they get to the stores. I hope I'll be as good as the girl who can tell mini-figs with her mouth on German TV. :classic:

Thank you for the nice little review. :thumbup::classic:

Pity it has no backprint, but the fig is very nice.

I was remind of this song

Anyone know if these will be available in Australia? :look:

I've heard that Myer has them as an exclusive, and they might be out as early as May. :wink:

I've heard that Myer has them as an exclusive, and they might be out as early as May. :wink:

I'm glad to hear that they are heading to our shore, but a bit disappointed that they are going to be an exclusive to a particular store.

I was hoping all the stores (Kmart, Big W, etc) would be stockpiling them :tongue:

If these (series 1) are really comming out in Australia by May, that would be great, means I got a chance to obtain the ones I want (skateboarder, magician and maybe the clown) for use in MOCs for the next club train layout (the skateboarder torso and maybe hair and head will look good as a "punk teenager" for use as bus passengers, amusement ride passengers, go-kart drivers and other places. I need more generic civilian torsos for people like businesspeople, kids, teenagers, old people, bus passengers, amusement park visitors etc :)

Now all I need to hope for is that someone comes up with a way to make a rabbit sized to fit the Top Hat piece :P

Hey, with the handcuffs piece I could do Harry Houdini :)

I'm going to have to try the groping method to find the ones I like.

That sort of thing can get you in a lot of trouble!!

Thanks for the review, CopMike. I'm really excited for these mini-figs. It's such a great idea, and TLC is really going all out with the innovative new characters and designs.