FiletOFish

Lego picture-taking background/backdrop

Guys and girls, I have a very basic question: where can I get the white backdrop that people use when taking Lego photography? What is it formally called and where did your purchase yours? Any websites that you recommend? I appreciate your time and help!

I used to use A4 paper stuck onto a bit of cardboard (like this). The edges of the paper show up quite a lot, especially once the glue starts to de-stick. Also, the blue pigments in the paper show up when photographing, so you get quite a bluish tint.

Currently, I either use an ironed bed sheet for larger MOCs, being careful to smooth out wrinkles, or white poster-board (I think it's called): hardboard sheets with a white laminated side. These are the best I've found to date.

Foamcore is what I use. It's sold at craft stores in different sizes. It consists of a piece of paper, some foam, and then another piece of paper. I usually buy it in the 1/4 inch thickness, but there are other sizes too. It's fairly rigid and will last a long time, providing you take care of it.

I use two sheets of light cardboard size A2 (4 times A4 or 1,5x2 feet).

For larger models I put one on the table and the other one as the backdrop. Smaller models get 1 sheet half laying on the table and half upright.

When taking the pictures I keep a distance and in the photoshopping-proces I trim the sides so you just see white.

Then for the signature picture I add an appropiate photo or picture as the background.

Hope this helps.

...or white poster-board (I think it's called): hardboard sheets with a white laminated side.

This is what I use too. I got it from a bookstore that also sells stationery products, drawing and painting equipment etc.

It is a great solution since you can manage to have one surface if you bend it succesfully -- vertical and horizontal surface become one without having a "bend line". Like having no horizon if you know what I mean.

I use a large folded sheet of plain white paper, although it is a little small for large Lego creations. I would recommend white cardboard (presentation board) for a backdrop, though. Wrinkles in cardboard are unlikely, and it has a more reflective surface than paper (for brighter pictures).

The Reviewers Academy also has tutorials and tips for Lego picture taking. If you're interested in taking good pictures for reviews, this is the place.

I used 2 x A2 (I think) white foam boards. Very sturdy, hard and clean to use. More importantly, easy storage.

studio1.jpg

And, if you are interested in taking good pictures, like what JimButcher suggested, Reviewers Academy is one of the place which you could learn such area. :sweet:

What i do is use a clean white shirt tacked up on the wall for a background ,but dark blue works even better and comes out as black in the picture.

This is an easier solution and better than using paper because it doesn't get marks on it as easily and doesn't need tape.

4397545520_e45bc1f566.jpg

This picture was taken using a Dark blue T-shirt background and it is not edited , pretty good results don't you think.

I hunted around the house for ages, trying to find something that would work - in the end I used the back of last year's wall planner - it's a large sheet approx A1 size, plain white, and you can curve it from flat to vertical at the edge to prevent the visible join that afflicts two or more sheets of paper/card.

If you go to any office supply store, you can get white foam core or tag board. here is a picture of my setup that I have used for all my reviews in my signature.

4138261103_414bfc27e9.jpg

4139025872_65ff0468b4.jpg

A good camera is a good place to start as well.

End result after Photoshop.

4138981470_e385748c23_o.jpg

I know Office Max may only be a US company (not sure) but here is a link so you know what I am talking about, and a few others (JimB, WF) also mentioned foam board.

Elmers White Foam Board

I also use two (or three) pieces of Foamcore. Here's a picture of my setup, from a Reviewers Academy tutorial.

img_1775.jpg

You get the idea.

All the above are excellent techniques.

I have an infinity curve, photography tent with different coloured backgrounds but no decent flash. I'll have to save up the pennies and not buy and Lego for a month and get a 580EX II flash for the old Canon, or a couple of spotlights.

Best thing about taking photos of Lego (or anything you can just adjust without it running away screaming), just experiment with different backgrounds and camera settings until you find the right one for you.