Mercenary

"We were kinda cheated this year" - Discuss.

What a ridiculously negative topic. *snip* Stop being whining little babies or you'll end up where all bad babies go, the annual EB Cookout. :pir_laugh2:

I concur O Dark and Shadowy one!

I do not believe there is a need for this topic at all. I am extremely surprised at AFOL's acting in such a way. The Lego Group and designers behind these sets have put a lot of hard work into these sets and have revamped the old Pirates line for a modern and young audience. We are not the target age level for these sets! But we can enjoy them equally along with our children. So complaining about them in such a way just makes me very sad and a little angry.

I will bring some sauce to the EB cookout if needs be!

I agree. Classic Lego Pirates was awesome! Do you guys think Lego knew how bad these sets would be for us. Mainly I got them for the British soldiers. Lets hope Lego Pirates gets better ( I'd be amazed if it did. ) so it isn't like this.

-Little boy gets home with BrickBeard's bounty set-

-Opens it and builds it easily-

-"Hey he says"-

-"This is too small given what I payed"-

- Crys -

-"What a rip-off!"-

See what I'm sayin? Lets hope it doesn't become one of easy build, small result themes, ( Like Ben Ten. ) I really hope the Imperial flagship isn't the only good Pirates set. Lego better not be like Mega Blocks. ( Chances are 20 out of 100 ) Mainly cause of cheap Chinese plastic.

Lets hope Lego Pirates gets better. Whos with me!

BB being small is a myth. The set is identical in size to the BSB. It has one less cannon and is one brick shorter around the sides (a bit less actually) and doesn't have the "half deck" plates, but the ship itself is the same size. It has a few less pieces than the BSB, but what do you expect with 15 years of inflation? I mean it's the same price as the BSB was when it was released!

The plastic is no lower quality than any lego set I've bought in the last decade either.

If this line did not please you then nothing will. There are many aspects of it that blew the old series' out of the water. Not least of which are the utterly gorgeous minifigs. The only thing it was missing was a huge shipyard/port.

BB being small is a myth. The set is identical in size to the BSB. It has one less cannon and is one brick shorter around the sides (a bit less actually) and doesn't have the "half deck" plates, but the ship itself is the same size. It has a few less pieces than the BSB, but what do you expect with 15 years of inflation? I mean it's the same price as the BSB was when it was released!

The plastic is no lower quality than any lego set I've bought in the last decade either.

If this line did not please you then nothing will. There are many aspects of it that blew the old series' out of the water. Not least of which are the utterly gorgeous minifigs. The only thing it was missing was a huge shipyard/port.

You are deeply wrong here..The BB IS smaller than BSB. I have both and BB uses two middle hulls against three for BSB, like I said in the other topic- the BB has almost twice times less parts, ugly shape and masts comparable with BSB. They are not the same class at all- the BSB is simply Legend! Besides of everything I said, the BB is way overpriced...

Edited by Ivan K.

We will close this topic,

savvy?

I think there has been some interesting discussion going on - essentially a debate over whether people liked the line or not. Much like an essay, it starts with a controversial statement and then "Discuss". So I'll amend the title, and hopefully it'll steer this to calmer waters. If not, it may have to be scuttled.

And as for my thoughts, like any good essay, I'm going to say there are both positive and negative aspects, which have already been covered above :pir-laugh:

I used to think that the new pirates line was bad...........................but i just got the imperial flagship and it makes up for it all! :pir-classic: Even though I still think that the new line was a little childish :pir-hmpf_bad:

I concur O Dark and Shadowy one!

I do not believe there is a need for this topic at all. I am extremely surprised at AFOL's acting in such a way. The Lego Group and designers behind these sets have put a lot of hard work into these sets and have revamped the old Pirates line for a modern and young audience. We are not the target age level for these sets! But we can enjoy them equally along with our children. So complaining about them in such a way just makes me very sad and a little angry.

I will bring some sauce to the EB cookout if needs be!

1. I do think this topic is a good means of debate, though rather one-sided, and therefore should be kept

2. I don't think mercenary even is a TFOL, let alone an AFOL judging by the way he's acting

3. I've been on a (very informational) tour of legoland, and there I learned that many sets undergo several months of 'work' before they are even considered to be released, even in a small set like Krackin Attackin'. There is a lot of hard work put into everything they do at TLG. I know lego, (maybe not as well as you) and it seems that the pirate sets have been focused more on 7-8 year olds, with the exception of the IFS, which seems like an attempt by lego to extend its appeal even more to the teen/adult group.

4. I like Sweet Baby Ray's!!!

:pir_yoda:

Edited by the_green_avenger

I'll go ahead and be part of the minority here, and say that I absolutely love this new(er) line. I got the Blackbeard's Bounty and was thoroughly amazed with it. While it was a relatively short build, I couldn't help myself from loving it. I even played with it on my dorm's carpet! It was still a large ship on its own, and would most definitely be a good size for most of the target audience.

On the subject of baseplates, I'm indifferent. While it is nice to get a platform for larger models, I've found that I can do without more of them. And, honestly, I'd rather have the uniqueness that is present in this last version than in the originals. Printed backs aside, the variety of faces was highly enjoyable. I also like the new Imperials over the old ones.

So, that's my two cents. And yes, I've experienced the older theme as well.

Some of the negativity directed towards the new pirates line is absolutely ridiculous.

How "defensible" the set is? :pir_laugh2:

Also the COST and QUALITY OF THE PLASTIC have NOTHING to do with the quality of the sets (from a design/playability standpoint). They are issues indeed, and I agree with the complaints made here, but they should be directed towards TLG as whole rather than just the Pirate line.

Overpriced or not I love the new sets :pir-wub:

I repeat:

-Soldier's Fort is second only to El Dorado Fortress and Imperial Trading Post, though it does have qualities that neither of those have.

-BB is an awesome ship, it just could use a few more parts so it can have a deck

-Shipwreck Hideout is one of the coolest pirates sets ever. Period.

-The small sets are all at least comparable to the classic ones....if not better.

-I won't even say anything about the IF...

But everyone is entitled to their opinion. So think whatever you want. I just can't wait for the Pirates line to come back!

You are deeply wrong here..The BB IS smaller than BSB. I have both and BB uses two middle hulls against three for BSB, like I said in the other topic- the BB has almost twice times less parts, ugly shape and masts comparable with BSB. They are not the same class at all- the BSB is simply Legend! Besides of everything I said, the BB is way overpriced...

I also have both ships and just placed them next to each other. There might be at most 3 cm of difference in length from the rear of the captains cabin to the front the other end of the ship (I think the term is prow). Yes the BB has one less hull piece, but that alone doesn't make it smaller. The BSB does have more deck space, but it is not significantly "bigger" than the BB. The captains cabin on the BSB is two studs longer, but to the untrained eye they look virtually identical (and are very similarly furnished). Like I said earlier, the BSB wins out in the front half of the ship by having a more solidly built deck.

I do not disagree with you that the BSB is a legend - it is, and I voted for it to be rereleased in the early 00s (and bought one when it was). I love my BSB, but as a modern reinvention of it, the BB is a very nice ship. I also disagree that the masts are poor in the BB. The crossbars aren't as good as those on the BSB, but the masts themselves are infinitely more usable in MOCs than the BSB masts.

I recently bought two ~$70 AU sets - the drawbridge defense and the soldiers fort. While the drawbridge defense is the better set, both vastly exceded my expectations. The drawbridge defense is the best sub-$100 set of the last year IMO, with the soldiers fort a close second.

I must admit though that I have not purchased the kraken attacken or shipwreck hideout sets (though I seriously want them now).

The minifigs in this pirate line are nothing less than works of art. The detail is so beautiful I am really in awe. My old soldiers and pirates look like megablocks next to my new figs, and I loved those little guys!

I also have both ships and just placed them next to each other. There might be at most 3 cm of difference in length from the rear of the captains cabin to the front the other end of the ship (I think the term is prow). Yes the BB has one less hull piece, but that alone doesn't make it smaller. The BSB does have more deck space, but it is not significantly "bigger" than the BB. The captains cabin on the BSB is two studs longer, but to the untrained eye they look virtually identical (and are very similarly furnished). Like I said earlier, the BSB wins out in the front half of the ship by having a more solidly built deck.

I do not disagree with you that the BSB is a legend - it is, and I voted for it to be rereleased in the early 00s (and bought one when it was). I love my BSB, but as a modern reinvention of it, the BB is a very nice ship. I also disagree that the masts are poor in the BB. The crossbars aren't as good as those on the BSB, but the masts themselves are infinitely more usable in MOCs than the BSB masts.

I recently bought two ~$70 AU sets - the drawbridge defense and the soldiers fort. While the drawbridge defense is the better set, both vastly exceded my expectations. The drawbridge defense is the best sub-$100 set of the last year IMO, with the soldiers fort a close second.

I must admit though that I have not purchased the kraken attacken or shipwreck hideout sets (though I seriously want them now).

The minifigs in this pirate line are nothing less than works of art. The detail is so beautiful I am really in awe. My old soldiers and pirates look like megablocks next to my new figs, and I loved those little guys!

In overall we can say that everything is just a point of view. You know the old Russian quote: For taste and color- there are no any friends!:)

For me the old minifigs are so charming and beauty! But I am more kind of collector..and more sentimental about the old good pirate days during my childhood...

Now most probably I am gonna sell the BB and the Soldier's Fort and will invest the earned money into some of the old sets from 89'-95' that I have missed to fill in my collection

Edited by Ivan K.

I love the new parts and printed backs! I'm concidering that I'll get the Imperial flagship. I also love the soldiers! But I've known that pirates were supposed to be mean and like kinda messed up. Then again the Pirates theme is targated at kids. My real problem is the Pirate heads, okay? I say we close this topic!

I love the new parts and printed backs! I'm concidering that I'll get the Imperial flagship. I also love the soldiers! But I've known that pirates were supposed to be mean and like kinda messed up. Then again the Pirates theme is targated at kids. My real problem is the Pirate heads, okay? I say we close this topic!

Hmm, I think the heads are awesome. They're very expressive and full of character! :pir-classic:

Are you mad there was no mustache pirates? :pir-tongue:

Sorry for showing up late to the dance, but I really want to speak up about how much I like the 2009 Pirates line!

As was posted early on, I think the modular dock-side concept of Soldier's Fort is a good one. I too had high hopes that we were at the beginning of a long line with successive modular add-ons to make a dock-side village. Likewise, my big disappointment was cancelation (at least hibernation) of the line before that concept could be developed further. Boo-hoo. I still like it in it's own right, and plan on making my own modular expansion (when I get around to it!).

-Shipwreck Hideout: fantastic.

-The Kraken raft: great use of SNOT. Have you built it, I wonder?

-Loot Island was a little ho-hum out of the box, but it helped round out the series nicely and I was so happy with my little MOD that it's the only one I've shared with the community to date!

-BB is a solid ship, though I agree, not a benchmark. The captain's cabin is better than BSB, and even the aesthetics of the stern section are top notch. I'll concede that the deck seems a little unfinished and the boom tubing is a little flimsy. However, as was pointed out earlier, the ship has roughly the same price as BSB did, even after 20 years of inflation! It's far better than some of the mini-ships that have been released along the way.

-Minifigs: awesome. Oh, then there's a $6 package where you get two figs and a cannon?!?! You're kidding, right?

My only gripe about Pirates 2009 (and it's a big one for me) is that there is no line expansion through 2010.

We can talk about IFS as a footnote if necessary (it's quite possibly the best LEGO set EVER--prow issues aside).

We can talk about IFS as a footnote if necessary (it's quite possibly the best LEGO set EVER--prow issues aside).

It doesn't entirely count as a 2009 line set, since it wasn't released along with them, but I'd most definately say it's the best PIRATE lego set ever, with the exception of the price.

But that's the only NEW pirate set I have, though I agree a bit with mercenary on the fact that the pirates seemed a little too happy... It would be realistic for pirates to be all mean looking, but the sets are kid oriented (with the exception of the IFS, which says 14+). As well, it's no different from the old pirate line(s) where every single minifig has a smile on their face.

I would completely disagree that "we were kinda cheated this year" because, for one, lego accually brought the pirate line back. Second, there was little you could ask for that wasn't included in the line (though a fortress may have been nice) and third, most everything was rather original, and there was little to complain about.

:pir_yoda:

Well, I have said it before and I will say it again. I think that Lego did a fine job for the 2009 Pirate theme. Yeah, they looked like toys because They Were Toys. :imperialguard_commander1: If you look at the older pirate sets they look just as toyish. Take for instance the BSB, SES, RBR and all of the other sets that went with them. But, that being said the old Pirates sets are still some of my favorites and I think that the new ones are great too. :pir-sweet:

Am I the only one suspecting that we will indeed see a PoTC licensed theme once the forth movie arrives? LEGO seems to have gone into business with Disney and Bruckheimer with Prince of Persia, and I find it plausible that they would extend this partnership to what can only be a more profitable and lucrative license than PoP...

POTC would be cool, but with the release and endign of the current Pirates line, it just doesn't seem very feasable. I understadn your frustration but they did say it would be back.

If anything, I'd say that the recent partnership between LEGO and Disney coupled with the news that filming for POTC 4 will start this summer gives us the greatest possibility yet of a POTC LEGO line. And hopefully, just as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull allowed a new film with new LEGO sets to also incorporate the original trilogy, maybe this line will encompass all three prior POTC films.

Given the 2009 selection of pirate LEGO sets (which I don't think was as bad as the originator of this topic thinks it was, but admittedly some of the sets did feel stale compared to the sweeping sets of LEGO days of yore), there really doesn't appear to be a wide spectrum of places to take new sets in. We finally got that giant Imperial Flagship we've always wanted. We got an Imperial Fort (even if it wasn't on as grand a scale as we wished). We got a new pirate ship. Even though crazy pirate lovers like us would wish for bigger and better versions of some of the things we've seen or maybe the return of the Spanish Armada or general nautical population with harbor buildings, I don't know that LEGO would deem the specific desires of our mostly adult niche profitable when it comes to marketing to children who now have a huge assortment of great LEGO themes vying for their attention and money.

POTC, however, would seem to fill that void. It's already proven that it's wildly successful as a film franchise. Most of the pirate elements are already present in LEGO molds. And a new film will drum up publicity and interest in pirates once again.

Of course, I could be wrong and none of this may come to fruition. But I'm keeping my cutlasses crossed.

Doesn't fit in with the old sets, and they're a bit childish, but still, it was nice :thumbup: . The Flagship was the flagship of this year's line. The Bounty is a nice ship as well. 2 or 3 of the Soldier's Fort is much bigger and better, Shipwreck Hideout kicks butt, :pir-skull: Island was full of the little fancy bits, and :cannon: Battle was a good army builder.

Not much to hate here. :pir-classic:

I don't think we were cheated at all. The new sets were, IMO, equal to if not better in some parts than the 1989 series. The 1989-1994 series was classic, but once 1995 hit I thought it was going downhill. Of course it was only three years of sets after 1994, but they were still mostly mediocre, no? I can't remember a single set from then other than the Red Beard Runner and the Armada Flagship, both of which I've heard alright reviews of. The 2009 pirates line was just as unforgettable- great impulses, nice cannon fighting set, a reinvention of the classic castaway's raft, a sweet island with a nice cannon boat, an excellent shipwreck, a nice soldier fort, and what I call the most unforgettable ship I've ever seen- the one I grew up with... the BB.

While I don't own any of them, from what I've seen they look pretty good. While there's no really big forts to compare to the classic Imperial Trading Post and Eldorado Fortress, several of the small to medium sets were improved versions of classic sets imo. And they fit together with the old sets nicely, something few other themes these day does.

OK so lemme get this straight:

Everyone was so excited to get pirates theme returned, and then someone complains "Oh but the theme isn't good enough!" (I'm sure you all know who that person is :pir-tongue: )

It's like if someone gave you a million dollars and then you complain "But I wanted it in hundreds! :pir-angry:

OK so lemme get this straight:

Everyone was so excited to get pirates theme returned, and then someone complains "Oh but the theme isn't good enough!" (I'm sure you all know who that person is :pir-tongue: )

It's like if someone gave you a million dollars and then you complain "But I wanted it in hundreds! :pir-angry:

Not really, you can be excited about a theme returning but still disapointed if it doesnt match your expectations.

Personally i think there are a few good sets in the 2009 line, but overall it isnt a patch on the classic stuff.