Sign in to follow this  
Oky

Review: Toy Story Accessories

On a scale of 1 to 5, how do you rate...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Magnet Set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding
  2. 2. The Key Chains?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Toy Story Accessories Review

p1060749_small.jpg

Greetings, fellow toy lovers. As you may know, TLC released four keychains and a magnet set for the Toy Story theme recently, and being a collector of this theme, I bought one of each. So, I though I'd review them for you. I'll start with the magnets.

Name: LEGO® Toy Story™ Magnet Set

Item #: 852949

Theme: Toy Story

Year: 2010

Pieces: 1 (according to S@H)

Minifigs: 3

Price: $14.99 USD

The package features the iconic blue-sky-with-clouds wallpaper as the background. On the back, it has some warnings and info, and a punch-in tab for easier opening.

p1060766_small.jpgp1060769_small.jpg

The tab is a nice concept, but not very practical in reality. There's no space underneath it, so you can't really punch it in, so the only way to use it is to pull it out, which is even more difficult. And even if you do manage to pull it out, it doesn't even open the package very well; it just rips off a small, zig-zaggy piece.

p1060771_small.jpg

In the end, you'll have to just rip off the whole back part to successfully remove the magnets. Here they are, in all their magnetic glory:

p1060772_small.jpg

The good news is that the figs come off very easily since they are only held onto the magnets by studs. The bad news is that they are all of the inferior Chinese quality. If you look closely, you'll see the typical engraved square on their arms. In Woody's case, this is no surprise since that's the same quality he comes in in the sets.

p1060786_small.jpg

Just like their set counterparts, all figs have back prints.

p1060788_small.jpg

They are not glued either, so you can take them apart. The picture below shows comparisons of the set and magnet versions of Buzz and the alien's bodies. The ones on the left are from the magnets, the ones on the right from the sets. As you can see, the color of both the plastic and the printing is noticeably more dull on the figs from the magnet. Their arms, legs, and hands are also harder to move than on the high-quality ones.

p1060789_small.jpg

Same goes for the backs.

The magnets themselves are the same kind we have been getting for over a year now. But unlike prievious magnets with short-legged figs, the modified 1x1 bricks on the alien's magnet are the new kind without indent.

p1060776_small.jpg

As for playability, well, it's a magnet set, so there's obviously not much you can do with it, except maybe an all-out magnet whacking party. :tongue:

p1060820_small.jpg

Next, I will review the keychains. I will review them in groups of two in order to save time, and I used a white 2x8 plate to help them stand. First up we have Woody Longlegs and his female sidekick.

Name: LEGO® Toy Story™ Woody Key Chain / Jessie Key Chain

Item #: 852848 / 852850

Pieces: 1

Price: $4.99 USD

The tags on the key rings feature the usual warnings and info. The figs are the same kind that comes in the sets. Their heads are hard to turn, and in order to keep them from damage, I would recommend not to do it.

p1060762_small.jpg

p1060764_small.jpg

p1060765_small.jpg

Not much else to say about them. Last, but not least, the short stuff:

Name: LEGO® Toy Story™ Buzz Lightyear Key Chain / Alien Key Chain

Item #: 852849 / 852950

Pieces: 1

Price: $4.99 USD

Like the ones in the magnet set, these figs are of the lower quality. Again, you can tell by the dark printing and the square marks on their arms (at least on the alien). The keychain nail is going into their heads at an angle, so it's impossible to turn their heads. On the bright side, if you plan to remove the nail, you wont notice the remaining hole when looking at them from the front. Buzz' wings are glued, so they cannot be removed.

p1060756_small.jpg

p1060758_small.jpg

p1060761_small.jpg

Hi-res version of all the pics can be found in this brickshelf folder.

Final thoughts: I was hoping to be able to army-build some space rangers and aliens with that magnet set, but seeing as they wont fit in with the ones from the sets, I'm hesitant. Ambassadors are promising us that Lego is working on this quality issue, so let's hope that we'll see magnet sets with high-quality figs soon. The key chains are good for what they are, and the Jessie one is good for those who are looking for a cheap way to get this fig. I might get another one of the alien to actually use it as a key chain. Hopefully we'll see the rest of the figs put into key chain or magnet form. Overall, I'd give all of these accessories a 3/5. They all feel a bit overpriced too, especially considering the quality you get.

See you in my next Toy Story review. To Infinity and Beyond! :sweet:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Neat, thanks for the review Oky Wan!

It's unfortunate how there are still printing discrepancies between the keychains/magnets and the normal minifigs (most notably the green instead of lime colors on Buzz's hips and legs and how the red and white pattern on the wings goes over the molded line). :sad:

However, I will still purchase the magnet set and maybe the Jessie keychain since I do not plan on getting any of the currently available Toy Story sets except for Army Men on Patrol. Those minifigs look too cool to pass up, even if they are still lower quality!

Also, I like how Andy's wallpaper pattern (the clouds in a sea of blue) are on the packaging for the magnet and keychains! Looks much better than just a one color background. :thumbup:

The tab is a nice concept, but not very practical in reality. There's no space underneath it, so you can't really punch it in, so the only way to use it is to pull it out, which is even more difficult. And even if you do manage to pull it out, it doesn't even open the package very well; it just rips off a small, zig-zaggy piece.

p1060771_small.jpg

:oh3:

There's another way to open blister packs like these - all you need is an Exacto knife or something similar. You cut the plastic part near where it meets the cardboard, then you can pull out the minifigs without even damaging the packaging! :wink:

(I can post a pic if what I'm saying isn't clear)

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the crystal clear pics & informative review, Oky Wan!

And yet how disappointing that these bad minifigure issues haven't been resolved. I wonder if people are just believing the hype that Star Wars is fixed too - I think you should cast your eagle eye over those magnet sets to sift the truth out about those.

It seems that 'close enough is good enough' these days - the substitution of green print for lime is just lazy. What, did they not have the right bucket of paint in the factory that day? :tongue:

Im considering purchasing the whole theme so I guess I will have to get these also. Im disappointed the quality of the accessories hasnt been fixed. The printing on the alien and Buzz is really bad especially the green on Buzz :sick: . Whats your next Toy Story review Oky?

Thanks for the review, it's too bad the quality isn't up to par with the set versions. But none the less it's a cheaper way to get some fig's if that's all you care about.

Thanks for the review 'Oky Wan' - they don't look too bad - interesting to see the magnet sets are simply minifig packs, though be it lower quality ones. Just remember kids don't care where it's made as all it's Woody & Buzz !

Now the keyring again with it's metal shaft to act as a spine, that if you remove it - you have stuffed minifig !

Anyway nice to see them when we get them down under through Lego specialty outlets like my favorite Toy Corner ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Nice review. I couldn't care less about quality of keychains, so they get an Outstanding, but as for the magnets, they just get an Average because they would need to be higher quality for playability reasons.

Thanks for the crystal clear pics & informative review, Oky Wan!

And yet how disappointing that these bad minifigure issues haven't been resolved. I wonder if people are just believing the hype that Star Wars is fixed too - I think you should cast your eagle eye over those magnet sets to sift the truth out about those.

Thanks. :classic: Well, I got the one with Han, Paploo, and Scout trooper the same day I got these, and I can tell you that they are the lower quality too, though it's hard to notice unless you have the originals to compare them with because the black and brown pieces aren't all that different from the ones from the sets. Even the Scout trooper is hard to differentiate from others.

But as I said, there's word that the quality will change soon, so whoever is interested in buying this or any other current magnet set might want to wait a little bit.

Whats your next Toy Story review Oky?

Either Army Men or Woody's Roundup. :wink:

Thanks for the review 'Oky Wan' - they don't look too bad - interesting to see the magnet sets are simply minifig packs, though be it lower quality ones. Just remember kids don't care where it's made as all it's Woody & Buzz !

Now the keyring again with it's metal shaft to act as a spine, that if you remove it - you have stuffed minifig !

You're welcome. :classic: Yes, kids surely wont notice the difference - until parts of the minifigs start breaking due to their lower quality. :sceptic:

What do you mean "stuffed"? :look:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

You do realize that that sounds pretty disgusting, right? :tongue: