Sign in to follow this  
exotrator

Cannon Foundry

I think it certainly does like a chimney! :pir_laugh2:

Though, it would be more 'chimney-like' if there was a little bit of smoke in some way.

Still a nice way to create a chimney in my opinion, it goes well with the rest.

I agree. I see that it looks like a chimney now. Sorry about my disagreeing. I didn`t look at the pictures close enough. :pir-laugh:

I agree. I see that it looks like a chimney now. Sorry about my disagreeing. I didn`t look at the pictures close enough. :pir-laugh:

There is absolutely nothing to apologise for! :pir_laugh2: It is just your opinion!

Though, next time you disagree with me about a chimney, I'll put you in there. :pir-skull: :pir-tongue:

Excellent work! I like the asymmetric design of the building and the excellent roof the best. The whole thing is very well balanced.

And I DID know the barrel was a chimney right away :pir-tongue:

Permit me to bump this 8-year-old topic with a remake of the beautiful :wub: original build, which was the deserving winner of the Community Build contest. My version is 32x32, rather than the original 16x16, but I tried to mimic the overall layout. I realize @exotrator hasn't been around since then, but I thought I'd share this here.

2ufag42.jpg

For more photos and a description of the inner workings check this topic:classic:

I don’t know what else to say besides this is REALLY cool!!!!

it has a very classic Pirates feel but with some excellent details!

its nice to see some “everyday life” in a field dominated by ships...

Such a cute moc,  I really like how the green foliage contrast with the roof 

This is great.

I miss the lantern.

I like what you did with the roof, but prefer the cylinder method.

I'm kind of thrown off by the cannon that's been hoisted 15 feet into the air. Is there a historical reason for that? Seems like it should be lower.

The hanging chains inside are wonderful.

Should there be a large supply of raw metal?  Ingots, or ore and a smelter (I don't know how they operated).  Also furnace fuel?

I like the cobble stone, though I agree with some others that it looks better when larger.  The area by the man-door looks great, the area by the mini-fig looks a little thin.  I don't know if one more row would solve that?  Or some kind of edging?

What plate is that? Am I confused? It looks too thick for a base-plate.  It looks like it accepts studs on the bottom.  But it's huge? (I've missed a lot of years).

I am really enjoying the lattice windows.  They work great visually.  Are they period accurate/ish?

You explained that for it's time it's the right size.  Still, I would love to see a huge multi forge build for navy level production. A bunch of mini figs at work, hammer and tongs.  Dirtier, but with a broom.  More plants.  Horses. A real working furnace.  

The grey pillars look perfect.

Is the left rear corner of the roof higher than the right rear corner?  Is it an illusion from the photography?  Is it an illusion from the roof tiles?  Am I crazy?

On 2/17/2018 at 7:10 PM, Cousarmy0001 said:

I would suggest that this build should have its own thread.

It does. :classic:

2 hours ago, Juxtapoisson said:

This is great.

I miss the lantern.

I like what you did with the roof, but prefer the cylinder method.

I'm kind of thrown off by the cannon that's been hoisted 15 feet into the air. Is there a historical reason for that? Seems like it should be lower.

The hanging chains inside are wonderful.

Should there be a large supply of raw metal?  Ingots, or ore and a smelter (I don't know how they operated).  Also furnace fuel?

I like the cobble stone, though I agree with some others that it looks better when larger.  The area by the man-door looks great, the area by the mini-fig looks a little thin.  I don't know if one more row would solve that?  Or some kind of edging?

What plate is that? Am I confused? It looks too thick for a base-plate.  It looks like it accepts studs on the bottom.  But it's huge? (I've missed a lot of years).

I am really enjoying the lattice windows.  They work great visually.  Are they period accurate/ish?

You explained that for it's time it's the right size.  Still, I would love to see a huge multi forge build for navy level production. A bunch of mini figs at work, hammer and tongs.  Dirtier, but with a broom.  More plants.  Horses. A real working furnace.  

The grey pillars look perfect.

Is the left rear corner of the roof higher than the right rear corner?  Is it an illusion from the photography?  Is it an illusion from the roof tiles?  Am I crazy?

I miss the lantern, too. I thought about replicating exotrator's original design, but then left it out altogether.

I also prefer the cylinder roof, rather than round plates. But I don't have enough cylinders in orange or a similar color, and these plates were handy, so I used them.

There's no historic reason for the cannon hanging out front. It's simply a nod to the original build. I suppose he meant for it to be like a sign, advertising that they produce cannons.

The chains hanging inside aren't really accurate: they should be block-and-tackle; rope, not chain. But I couldn't find my strings with stud ends until after I'd posted this...

Technically this is an incomplete foundry. It only shows the molding area and casting pit. The rest of the casting complex - namely the furnace - would be rather large and would have fuel and iron stored nearby. The raw iron ore would first be smelted into pig iron ingots in a blast furnace (which is a totally different function from the foundry), and prior to casting, the pig iron ingots would then be melted down in an air furnace adjacent to the casting pit, which is what the chimney represents here.

Yeah, the cobblestone covers a narrow area out front. If it was on a street it would be much wider, but I ran out of room... Speaking of which:

The base is a standard tan 32x32 baseplate with 4 16x16 plates on top. The baseplate by itself is just too flimsy, but adding the plate layer made it very solid.

I don't know if the lattice windows are period-correct or not. I just used 'em 'cause I like 'em.

You may have misunderstood me regarding the build size. I doubt a facility this small could produce much of anything in the way of cannons (small swivel guns, perhaps?), and most certainly couldn't produce something as big as the standard Lego cannon! I mostly wanted to mimic the layout of the original build, but even enlarged, it's still small. A proper foundry would have a dedicated molding facility, multiple furnaces and casting pits, a boring mill, various storage areas, and smaller workspaces for specialized tasks. And lots of people!

The back corners of the roof are the exact same height. It must just be an illusion. :pir-wink: