Bob

TOWN: Stapleton

indexed.gif Layout

Recently, I hosted a mafia game on Eurobricks, called Prohibition Mafia. I called it Stapleton, mostly because I was sitting next to a box from Staples while making the game.

Anyway, I went out and bought the Grand Emporium yesterday, and spent most of last night building it. Most of the time, I just rearrange the buildings around, and call it a brand new city. However, this time, every building was deconstructed, and rebuilt so it would be modular. I still need to make a few more parts purchases, though, until I can claim that it is finished. I also need a train. Here are a few pictures:

100_0549.jpg

An overview, from the harbor.

100_0550.jpg

One side of the street.

100_0551.jpg

It was either a train set up, or a monument. You can see which one I picked.

100_0547.jpg

Another Overview.

100_0548.jpg

I still need two more pure blue baseplates, however. The pirate-island ones aren't working out too much anymore. Since last time, I've updated the harbor, made most of the city modular, and increased the size of the Town Hall, by throwing the original town hall and courthouse together. I'm a bit pleased with the result.

Comments and questions?

Edited by Phred

I quite like your town. The double road with the little park between the modular buildings is a great idea and makes the buildings look less like they dwarf everything around them.

But please, for the love of God, lay off that "sharpen image" button next time. :oh3:

Looks great 'Bob The Constructionman' - can he build it ? :laugh:

Yes, he can ! :grin:

The road arrangement is cool - there is lots of action too ! (what's a city or town without something going on eh ?)

Your town rectangle (not square) is nice too !

See you were a lucky one - that retail chain called 'SHOP' are popping up everywhere aren't they ? :wink:

Great work and I'm a conformist! 'Bob The Constructionman' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I quite like your town. The double road with the little park between the modular buildings is a great idea and makes the buildings look less like they dwarf everything around them.

Thanks! The park was a last minute entry.

But please, for the love of God, lay off that "sharpen image" button next time. :oh3:

It does look rather bad, I must have dialed it up too much.

The road arrangement is cool - there is lots of action too ! (what's a city or town without something going on eh ?)

Thanks!

Nice town! I really like that park down the middle, and GE looks real nice too. Is that a hospital in the second picture?

indexed.gif Layout

Updates:

100_0553.jpg

I enlarged the harbor, the port, and the train system. However, as you may notice, there is a huge wide open space at the harbor. Any suggestions? I also need one more blue baseplate.

100_0555.jpg

I was thinking populated it was larger crates, maybe an under construction boat, or a harbor office.

100_0559.jpg

I didn't go to any kids-club meeting thing, I got the key chain, removed it, and painted over it. It looks good as new.

100_0560.jpg

The weathered hospital next to the market. I tore down my large supermarket, and rebuilt the hospital, that plane you see flying around, and I made a smaller market.

100_0561.jpg

Anyone have any ideas for a train? I might possibly wait for the rumored Public Transport Set, or I might wait or the Passenger Train that is coming out. Either that, or I'll just build my own. I'm leaning towards the last one, though.

100_0564.jpg

Stapleton's Flag, flying on city hall. I intend on moving it to the city square, on a flagpole.

Comments, Suggestions or Questions?

Nice City! As for your large harbor area might you try a few large warehouses, a guard shack, fences, make it a secure harbor area? Then you could slip some mobsters in one warehouse for the cops to mess with..

Comming alone nicely 'Bob The Constructionman' :sweet: - but I'm a little worried about the overhead railway - it's supports don't look strong enough to take a train at a higher speed than a crawl. Plus the platform, a bit dangerous with no guard rails to stop falls - Oops ! :devil:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Comming alone nicely 'Bob The Constructionman' :sweet: - but I'm a little worried about the overhead railway - it's supports don't look strong enough to take a train at a higher speed than a crawl. Plus the platform, a bit dangerous with no guard rails to stop falls - Oops ! :devil:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Don't worry, that won't be the train platform. It's only a placeholder. I intend to add a small ticket booth, and some guard rails.

By the way, thanks for the Warehouse suggestion Col.Brik! I'll get to work right away on that.

Good job so far! :thumbup: Wait... Yep there's good ol' me and JCC. Never new the girl kid had red hair though. But the pics were all in black and white so oh well. Anyway have you considered adding a office supply store?

That's a really nice town you got there!

The modulars fit in nicely :thumbup:

very nice job :classic:

Thanks! I tried to blend in the modulars as best as I could, sadly, that meant the other "Small Town" buildings had to be reborn into larger modules.

I'd like to have a town like yours.

Congratulations.

Greetings

Thanks!

Good job so far! :thumbup: Wait... Yep there's good ol' me and JCC. Never new the girl kid had red hair though. But the pics were all in black and white so oh well. Anyway have you considered adding a office supply store?

I liked the look of the Prohibition Characters so much, I kept most of them. Thanks!

Nice town Bob. As you know, I'm a particular fan of seaside towns, and this one is quite charming. I like the long curving driveway and the neat boulevard it creates. A few suggestions for improvement, most of which have to do with the harbor end of things.

-As you said, buy some blue baseplates to fill out your harbor. for the first time in about 15 years, LEGO is selling blue baseplates separately. At 5 bucks (BL used to sell them for 14) they are a steal. Get them now before LEGO decides to nix them.

-The roofs and facades of the buildings nearest the harbor and the cargo ship itself could use some detailing. The trouble with displaying the CC series buildings is that you then need to up-detail your own to match.

-The doc is a bit plain. A cargo crane, wearhouse, trucks, boathouse, or any number of other naval industrial structures could fill that space. It's extra nice if you can make it seem like they all interact with one another. i.e. cargo goes from boat, to crane, to wearhouse, to truck or train... That's a good way to create a sense of action and continuity.

-A couple of fences and a simple awning would bring new life to the train platform.

keep up the good work!