263 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding!

Fantastic review indeed.

Was wondering if the OP or someone can post a picture of all the Modular sets together including 10190.

Thanks

Before I go to bed after a busy day at work, I simply must grab this opportunity to read this review with great pleasure! This is indeed an incredible amazing looking pictoral review which you have done there, to justify the beauty of this modular building with vivid pictures and creative writing. :wub:

I must get this set, and this is probably one of the modular buildings released so far, which I am considering to buy a second piece other than the Cafe Corner. This structure, whether its majestic exterior or detailed interior, this set is simply a wonderful piece of art, and a new milestone for us, AFOLs. :cry_happy:

Thanks Svelte for bringing us another outstanding review! I am sure all of us are now drooling at your last picture. :grin:

Simply because, no one can re-produce an exact same corner building over there. :sweet:

Excellent review Svelte! Crisp, clear pics & great text :thumbup:!

As for the set itself it´s a no-brainer - I´m getting a couple, it´s just THE best in a looooong time :wub:!

Amazing review Svelte.

The GE is really great(and your own department store) :wub: .

Minxter

This is an unbelievable set, and with such an awesome review to complement it.

The Nestene Conciousness has even infiltrated LEGO! We is our saintly physician when we need him! :wacko:

Thanks for the very detailed and entertaining review Svelte! I really enjoyed reading it. :thumbup:

As a big fan of modular buildings, I am definitely buying this, but I think that GE (so as FB) has significantly less exterior details when compared to CC and GG.

While I appreciate LEGO's recent approach to fully furnish every floor of the modular buildings, I think that shouldn't be done at the expense of details on the facade. It appears to me that LEGO wants to do both interior and exterior, but they can't afford to make both of them as good as this series deserves given the budget constraints (Frankly, we have a lot of great stuff inside GE, but the interior just seem unfinished and I think Jamie can definitely make a better facade if he doesn't have to save for the interior). I think if they can't manage to do both, focus and priority should be given to the exterior, which is fundamental to the series.

Fantastic review indeed.

Was wondering if the OP or someone can post a picture of all the Modular sets together including 10190.

Thanks

Was already done by Iain a couple of weeks ago!

4350009028_c589e8b61c_b.jpg

Thanks for the very detailed and entertaining review Svelte! I really enjoyed reading it. :thumbup:

As a big fan of modular buildings, I am definitely buying this, but I think that GE (so as FB) has significantly less exterior details when compared to CC and GG.

I think this set actually has a struck a good balance on the level of detail. CC and GG always seemed over-detailed to me, which gave them a kind of old fashioned look that never appealed to me.

I dont get why there are up escalators but not down escalators. Do they expect them to go up and down at the same time? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Great review as usual Sevelt :thumbup:

I think the Lego Company will make an entire block of houses and stores before they end the line.

The box must have had some editing done to show the chandelier, or maybe it's just because of the angle in your picture that I can't see it.

Yes; I suspect this is the case. Still, it does provide a tantalising glimpse of a detail you'd otherwise probably miss on the front of the box.

Great review Svelte, and what an amazing set! I didn't think this was possible, but now we want this set even more. :wub: Like a giddy couple sneaking off to a love hotel, we're jiggling with excitement (sorry, I've been reading too much manga), or maybe I'm just feeling a bit odd looking at that half-naked mini fig swanning around the trouser shop...Yay, Viagara!!

:look: Sometimes it's like a David Attenborough documentary in here. Although, I'd heard the Walrus had at least one rubdown this week :oh::wink:

Before I go to bed after a busy day at work, I simply must grab this opportunity to read this review with great pleasure!...

Thanks Mr Fang!

As a big fan of modular buildings, I am definitely buying this, but I think that GE (so as FB) has significantly less exterior details when compared to CC and GG. While I appreciate LEGO's recent approach to fully furnish every floor of the modular buildings, I think that shouldn't be done at the expense of details on the facade. It appears to me that LEGO wants to do both interior and exterior, but they can't afford to make both of them as good as this series deserves given the budget constraints (Frankly, we have a lot of great stuff inside GE, but the interior just seem unfinished and I think Jamie can definitely make a better facade if he doesn't have to save for the interior). I think if they can't manage to do both, focus and priority should be given to the exterior, which is fundamental to the series.

A very interesting point about the balance between exterior and interior, but I think that Grand Emporium has the mix exactly right. The exterior is beautiful and there's just enough in the interior to satisfy as well as inspire you to add your own details. The little dark red plinths that litter the set are obviously templates for you to add extras and furnish them with consumer goods yourself! As for the exterior not being detailed... I disagree! Indeed, although the pieces are differen to the Green Grocer, the approach is actually much the same - eg, the extensive use of log and grill bricks provide a level of surface texture to the upper floors. The upper inside of the roof arches is a parts bonanza in itself. Not to mention the detail inherent in the choice of colours, such as the use of all those amazing dark green windows instead of more standard white or black. And indeed, the whole of the ground floor exterior with those dark tan and bley curved brick walls and the tilework is probably one of the most detailed Modular ground floors - and IMO, the most beautiful.

I dont get why there are up escalators but not down escalators. Do they expect them to go up and down at the same time? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Some people want everything! :wacko::laugh: Really, there's no room. I think as has been suggested elsewhere, the best would be to buy 2 and knock out the middle walls if you insist on having them side by side.

Wow, Svelte. You've really outdone yourself! Thanks for putting so much effort and personality into your review. It really is a treat to read. Your pictures are superb and the humor and level of detail are top notch. You've even convinced me to go out an buy another one :)

I agree that your plants are far better than mine. A big smile came over my face when I saw them for the first time. Now if only we could get those dino-flippers back into production!

- The interior is not too detailed, which I personally don't mind as it does encourage you to add your own touches. It doesn't look as empty as it does in some of the official images, either. The only thing I wouldn't mind is a tiled ground floor - maybe Jamie could give us a sketch or idea for an unofficial parquetry floor or somesuch? HINT HINT.

I too prefer tiled floors, but as mentioned by others, there are some issues with balancing interior/exterior details with cost on these sets. I've also heard from many fans and through reviews on lego.com that many consumers actually don't like having to use so many tiles like the 1x1 tiles for Cafe Corner sidewalk.

Since you've done such a beautiful job with your own department store, I'd actually really enjoy seeing what your ideas are for the interior floor. Bonus points if you can work other dino parts into the design ;-)

Many thanks again for the wonderfully thorough an creative review!

jamie

I too prefer tiled floors, but as mentioned by others, there are some issues with balancing interior/exterior details with cost on these sets. I've also heard from many fans and through reviews on lego.com that many consumers actually don't like having to use so many tiles like the 1x1 tiles for Cafe Corner sidewalk.

Oh hai, the man himself! :sweet:

The 1x1 CC tiles in the shop front was a bit complex, though nothing excruciating, but I thought something like the Green Grocer's 2x2 tan/dark tan tiles were fantastic and not too complicated and I can imagine something like that would have worked well here in GE. But it's a fair tradeoff especially when we get a handful of new arch bricks, 1x3 tiles, many windows and all the other new stuff.

I've also heard from many fans and through reviews on lego.com that many consumers actually don't like having to use so many tiles like the 1x1 tiles for Cafe Corner sidewalk.

Interesting. I suspect that's partly the 'immediate gratification' aspect since it does take a while to do all the tiling, so the early stage of the build seems longer than it otherwise might when you start adding walls and so on.

Using a tan baseplate for the 10211 is obviously a better solution than having a grass/ concrete floor to a department store :grin:

Since you've done such a beautiful job with your own department store, I'd actually really enjoy seeing what your ideas are for the interior floor. Bonus points if you can work other dino parts into the design ;-)

I have to finish my own next modular-style house first as seen in the teaser thumbnail below :wink: I was waylaid by the earlier-than-anticipated arrival of the Emporium.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone! It does take a while to put together these reviews (not to mention the sets themselves!) so it's always great to be appreciated :wink:

Wow, Svelte. You've really outdone yourself! Thanks for putting so much effort and personality into your review. It really is a treat to read. Your pictures are superb and the humor and level of detail are top notch. You've even convinced me to go out an buy another one :)

I agree that your plants are far better than mine. A big smile came over my face when I saw them for the first time. Now if only we could get those dino-flippers back into production!

Many thanks again for the wonderfully thorough an creative review!

jamie

So, Jamie, can you explain why this set is £40 more than the Fire Brigade, even though it has less parts? Of course I understand it could be due to rare parts, but surely not £40 worth? Inflation could explain it, but it's 4-5% inflation in the UK (if that...) so that wouldn't explain it either.

Nice work by the way, keep it up!

M.

So, Jamie, can you explain why this set is £40 more than the Fire Brigade, even though it has less parts? Of course I understand it could be due to rare parts, but surely not £40 worth? Inflation could explain it, but it's 4-5% inflation in the UK (if that...) so that wouldn't explain it either.

No UK price rants in this review, thanks! Do that in the other thread :wink:

I also think your question would be better directed to LEGO Customer Service.

I'm not saying you'll get any kind of answer, but it's still better directed there :laugh:

Thanks Svelte for the superb review!

It's really great you put some of your humour into it. :classic:

As to the tiny tiles issue... I love tiny tiles, and tiled floors...

Personally, I put tiles everywere in my MOCs. :wub:

Thanks for the review of one massive set Svelte! :thumbup:

It looks incredible! :cry_happy: So much tiles, and tan! :wub:

The desgine of the emporium is really nice! I think each of the sections interrior's could do with alittle more detaile, but most likely it couldn't be fitted in.

Thanks again for a wonderful review!

CommanderFox

Wondrous review! :wub: I downloaded the instructions prior to reading your review and (as it often happens with me) the set is even better than I thought. I really like how this set is made; it achieves wondrous effects without using zany building styles. As you say; it is "seamless but simple" and I think that's a very good summary. As a result it should please most AFOLs. The box shots sure seem to be targeting them! :tongue:

This has to be the best modular set for going high. IMHO CC and GG looked best with about 4 middle floors, the firehouse with 2.... but I think this would work with 10! :laugh: Since the floors seem to be compatible you only need to buy 5 sets! Sweetie? :cry_happy: On the subject of being high, I tend to leave a Batman on my GG, but with that skylight I think he'd be happier on GE!

The lack of a tiled floor doesn't bother me. I think it's essential for outside paths, but inside not so much. This is my second favourite modular set (after GG) and I really want it!

Parts

I didn't realise those new dome pieces were solid; I was expecting just a shell piece. They are going to be wonderful. I must confess, if I end up with this set I'll be substituting the windscreens; I've been needing some of those for years! (Hopefully new Model Team sets are coming! :wub: ) I'd probably also sub the baseplate and use grey; I've also been wanting a tan plate. (Considering the upper floors are grey it'd make sense too.) Unfortunately replacing the curved arch pieces would ruin the set so I'll just have to buy some Prince of Persia sets! ...and those windows! 38! OMG! OMG!

(I don't like the new reinforced panels, but that's another story.)

Comic

I think dummies are scarier than Autons, I want to see your Posh Shop, I'm pretty sure he's on meth, and that boy deserves no ice-cream!

Contest

I love the idea; April? :grin:

(I prefer your plants too. :wink: )

I love this review because it has so much more to offer than a simple, boring overview of the set with a few parts comments. It's full of drama and intrigue and questionable activities and pantslessness.

A winner on so many levels, then to use a tan baseplate and get that back in the rotation, how can you go wrong? :thumbup:

Now I just need a small pile of those baseplates somehow ... :cry_sad:

And yes, the lad does deserve ice-cream after being molested on the escalator.

Excellent review! I only found it just now... Well done Svelte!!

As for the tiling... What's wrong with having a lot of tiling to do?

This grand Emporium is just begging to be tiled very, very much! Haha.

Can't wait to get started!!!

The balance argument is understandable and I too think you managed to strike a nice balance there. The fan comments are just silly considering it is an AFOL set. I don't think you'll get a representative set of comments on lego.com, because I think - not sure - not many AFOLs actually bother to leave their comments there. Which goes to show again that it's a good thing you come here in person to hear 'our' comments.

Thanks for a fantastic review Svelte!! I don't know if I can afford it when it eventually makes it's way to Oz, but it definately looks great.

Greetings! :classic:

I have never really paid much attention to the modular building series until the GE came out. After seeing all the excitment, I am now awaiting the delivery of my own copy of GE (which is schedule to arrive on Tuesday). I also am taking a second look at the GG set! Nice review!