john cleese

The Black Parrot schooner

This is my first ship moc, i call her the Black Parrot. When i began this model i challenged myself to only use the bow and stern boat elements but still manage to fit an aesthetically pleasing cabin with doors on. After i had done this i still wasnt satisfied and i wanted to put the helm (steering part) on top of the cabin and have minifig size stairs reaching up there. I did this by placing the cabin so it reached below the deck and making a sort of bridge to connect the deck and cabin. Obviously its unrigged here and since my pirate minifigs are at my grandmas so i had to say it was commandered, also i notice there are some color clashes. Anyway overall im pretty proud of this for my first try, but im open to critism.

pic1 i took this one(flash was on so the red parts might look pink)

pic2 a bit of a blurry one my dad took

the governer in his new cabin

Very nice better then i could do. However i do not like the coil/tube thin. well the thing in front of the monkey that is from space. I do not think it fits at all. Other then that nice. ALso post some more pics please.

oops the time cruisers must have got a hold of it :biggrin: . I thought i took that off, it served a good purpose before but it looks silly now. I wont be able to post more pics until i can get to my dads house and hes going to be in panama for a while :( I wanted a pic of the back too but i forgot to ask him to take one. I will post em after he returns.

BTW: those tubes hold the treasure platform in BSB, thats where i got that tube from.

But please just wait for him to return! If you do ill show you the back, the front the bottom, the top, heck ill even take angles on special request that i couldnt even find without advanced computer programming. I'll also rig this vessel and if i see timmy trying to put space tubes on my historical moc's again ill own him :ph34r: style.

Another example of why we don't post Pirate MOCs in the Your Own Creations Forum - hardly anybody posts anything!

Something is definantley missing there, there is still much room for improvment. Yet its a good start, a bit less colors I would say... That green on the steering wheel looks funny. Well keep MOCing, hope to see you around! Sorry its late I cant comment much im going to be now...

Those damn father ! They can't even take clear pictures ! Well, I see nice ideas, but closer shots would help a lot to have a better idea of the model. One thing I can't understand is why the name of the ship is the black parrot since the figure on the boat is a brown monkey :-D

Those damn father ! They can't even take clear pictures ! Well, I see nice ideas, but closer shots would help a lot to have a better idea of the model. One thing I can't understand is why the name of the ship is the black parrot since the figure on the boat is a brown monkey :-D

Hey, I'm a father and my pics of my sons MOCs are crystal clear. :-P I was also wondering why it was the Black Parrot and not the Brown Monkey, but I decided the ship must be in disguise.

Josh

PS. This brings up something I was wondering. Are you only supposed to post MOCs in the Your Own Creations forum or in the forum relating the your MOC?

PS. This brings up something I was wondering. Are you only supposed to post MOCs in the Your Own Creations forum or in the forum relating the your MOC?

Both are allowed :-)

Generally its best to post Castle, Adventurer and Pirate MOCs in this forum because they get maintained frequently and therefore get a better response. Its not uncommon for a Castle or Pirate MOC to only ever get one or two replies in the My Own Creation Forum wheras here they're maintained until they get at least 15-20.

wheras here they're maintained until they get at least 15-20.

Heh, so that's why you're always the last poster in topics, Phes :-P

No, I'm the last poster because no one else can think of anything intelligent to add after I've posted! It would be quite nice if there was someone here that could outpost without resorting to spam or going dreadfully off topic. Maybe there is but they just haven't revealed themself yet...

LOL I live in a boat. IN THE SEA. LOL

No, I'm the last poster because no one else can think of anything intelligent to add after I've posted! It would be quite nice if there was someone here that could outpost without resorting to spam or going dreadfully off topic. Maybe there is but they just haven't revealed themself yet...

I was of course making a joke of this post, incase the admins decide to send me in to the Bad kids group.

Well you said

It would be quite nice if there was someone here that could outpost without resorting to spam or going dreadfully off topic.

And so I posted a useless post whilst resorting to spam. :D

Why did you do this Evil Willy? Could you not think of anything else to say about The Black Parrot Schooner? What do you think of the Admiral? Isn't he delightful?

I don't know about everyone else but the ship's name sounds more suited to a pirate ship than an Imperial Guard ship. Anyone else have any thoughts on that matter?

I actually think the exact same...Black? Parrot? Schooner? Yes the name does need a revamp. Or the crew. But it looks to me like the ship was made in one afternoon and is just a quik project that has not been thought over....It needs much more work

It would appear that John Cleese is not reading the forum lately. It would be good if he were present to answer some questions and accept the nice collective of feedback we've accumulated for him. Has anyone seen him online at all lately? I'll send him a PM when I have a bit more time.

this ship has the most horrible pictures ive ever seen for i cannot barely see the ship properly. can we get pictures because i would like to look at this ship properly and offer my expert opinion on what i think of it. so can we ask who made it to take more pictures?

i apologize for not replying sooner but I didnt think i would get any more feed back so i took a large portion of it apart. Anyway i think evil willy might have been a tad harsh in his evaluation seeing as the black seas barracuda is the only priate set i own that is fully in tact. But what is it that disgusts you about my project that didnt take alot of time due to its small size- mind you the same cant be said for thought. Maybe its the pictures, and later i'll put it back together and take better ones. Also it is a pirate ship, I left my pirate minifigs at my grandmas, so i had to say it was commandered. As to why they would bother commandering this thing, i dont know.

Presentation is of paramount importance when displaying work for others to view. If the presentation is poor then most often the viewer reflects this upon the work regardless of how good it is. So if you wish for better feedback Mr Cleese it would be advisable to provide clearer pictures, however, you may feel you've done enough with this particuarly MOC and perhaps decide to move on and create something else... Something entirely new!

But we thank you for your contribution and eagerly await what you decide to do next!

John why do you ask "What 'Disgusts' me?" I never said the ship was disgusting and never was harsh...All I said was it seems like it was done rather quikley and needs more work on it.

Do you think maybe it has a monkey as the figure head, even though it's called the black parrot, is because pirates stole it from someone and renamed ut, but didn't bother redoing the front?

John why do you ask "What 'Disgusts' me?" I never said the ship was disgusting and never was harsh...All I said was it seems like it was done rather quikley and needs more work on it.

well it sure was a harsh review, when you consider that my only in tact pirate set is the BSB and that this is my first attempt at making a ship. I mean you could have at least said "This is good for your first try." or something of that effect, but all i got from you was negative feedback. So i asked what in particular disgusted you about my moc just so i could get some more constructive feddback. And phes your right, i mean the moc itself isnt something magnificence, but it is quite a nice little ship, and it's probably the poor quality photos.

I suppose we shouldn't be too harsh on each other, afterall we're here to build each other up, not tear one another down. Having said that, when putting your work on display in public you can't expect everyone to response constructively or positively. The important thing is not to take any negative comments too personally, afterall it is only one comment and not the end of the world.