Sign in to follow this  
Norro

Further pain for pirate fans? DUPLO Pirates!!!

This doesn't look good... The pirates target age is headed in the wrong direction.

God Bless,

Nathan

Well, this isn't necessarily bad news for you Pirate fans, as LEGO recently introduced the Duplo Castle line. Honestly, these look great. Far more exciting than the basic Duplo I had as a child. Who knows, maybe a Pirate line is headed your way in the future (I wouldn't get my hopes up though).

Later.

There's another picture from this toyfair however we haven't been given confirmation that we can post that here... Yet... Its been over a week, someone give me clearance dammit!

UPDATE

I've just looked through ALL the pictures, turns out that they're all there.

Edited by mister_phes

i hope this is just a preparation for the next generation of lego fans to ease them into pirates. when all the people who are into these pirates get older the system pirates emerge

hm... 2 things:

1) there's a member on EB who's closer to lego (or so it seems) than most of us and he said in another topic , forgot which one, that lego is going to go back to the more traditional lego stuff....

2) it seems the pirate theme has been on 4+ playground, now duplo... i think there is a possibility that yoda's theory is correct, and next year we may get pirates in the MF world ...

ok... 3 things...

3) even the lego company must have seen by now that pirate is still EXTREMELY popular. Surely they have some analyst who keeps an eye on ebay and BL

Put those three things together and i'd have to conclude that a pirate theme is very well a possibilty... it's that or... Western?

*screams And Then Goes And Blames Michael jackson*

Screems and then hurries to lock YOU in the "chamber" !!!!

Yoda

I wish I could have the power to say that one day :rolleyes: Anyways, I don't nessescarily see it as a bad thing that there are duplo pirates now. I see it as a good thing, as it will draw in more pirate fans. If the sales of the duplo pirates go up, maybe TLC will follow this generation into new pirate sets. Just a theory.

-l2k-

Also, seeing that Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3 are being released within the next year, it would seem that there is no better time to get in on some pirate action! The first movie was huge, and I suspect that the next two will also be quite the draw at the boxoffice. A LEGO pirate line would probably be quite attractive after these two films have been released.

Later.

I don't nessescarily see it as a bad thing that there are duplo pirates now. I see it as a good thing, as it will draw in more pirate fans. If the sales of the duplo pirates go up, maybe TLC will follow this generation into new pirate sets. Just a theory.

It seems many are forgetting the 4+ Pirate theme... If anyone recalls this theme (which is under 2 years old mind you) then perhaps you should ponder, did the 4+ Pirate theme draw in more pirate fans? If the answer is "yes", then why is LEGO going backwards and releasing Pirate sets intended for even younger children? Sets that are even further removed from the SYSTEM Pirate theme than the 4+ Pirate sets were.

Maybe 4+ Pirates drew in fans from preschool hence the decision to move to Duplo, but from what I gather the 4+ Pirate theme did little for SYSTEM Pirate theme enthusiam. Some of those Duplo Pirate sets look as though they have nothing to build and could be mistaken for Playmobil sets, so I don't see how that's going to stimulate any interest in SYSTEM Pirates. The pieces aren't even compatible, that's one thing 4+ Pirates had going for it.

I suspected there could be a worse pirate theme than 4+ Pirates! If The LEGO Company's strategy is to make people long for a SYSTEM Pirate theme they seem to be going the right way...

The pieces aren't even compatible, that's one thing 4+ Pirates had going for it.

System is compatible but not as much as 4+. I personally like them and will get at least the ship as a gift. Duplo is not the LEGO I use but is a wonderful stepping stone for very young children.

For whatever reason Duplo gets all the best themes. Castle, Pirate, Zoo and town stuff. The only themes that are missing are space and vikings.

Give it time SuvieD... Space might be on the agenda for Duplo next year, the Classic Space fans would be thrilled at that prospect no doubt!

Well it seems like all of you think pirates will come back. IF they come back they must come System. And I mean classic, same as before system. If Pirates look like KK2 then it will suck. We will see in the future. BTW Im still here guys I just dont post so much anymore. Hey everyone needs to chill?

Quick! Turn the air conditioning down real low! :-D

I'll believe SYSTEM Pirates are returning when I see SYSTEM Pirate sets on store shelves. Judging by Knights Kingdom 2 year 3, I have little faith in the designs LEGO will come up with. Sure KK2:3 is an improvement over KK2:2, but the sets look no better in design than the Fright Knight sub-theme of Classic Castle.

I'll believe SYSTEM Pirates are returning when I see SYSTEM Pirate sets on store shelves. Judging by Knights Kingdom 2 year 3, I have little faith in the designs LEGO will come up with. Sure KK2:3 is an improvement over KK2:2, but the sets look no better in design than the Fright Knight sub-theme of Classic Castle.

Fright Knights were better lol

Fright Knights were better lol

Come on...they weren't THAT bad. At this point I'd settle for Freight Knights again!

...what am I saying?

Generally I don't find that much wrong with Fright Knights, but perhaps KK2:3 sets are better than 6087 Witch's Magic Manor

6087-1.jpg

After reading the reviews of this set it rather unanimously concludes 6087 Witch's Magic Manor is downright crappy.

I bought this set two weeks ago over ebay, and believe me, it is an incredible part pack. I also red the reviews. It is true that it sucks as a set. But if you only consider what it contains, and if you can get it at a reasonnable price, it becomes a really good deal :happy:

Yeah, it looks like it has a lot of useful parts which could be used in MOCs, but the design of the actual set looks like a complete mess! If I came across it amazingly cheap on eBay I'd probably buy for the same reason as you Mister Jipay.

However, unlike the KK2 sets, the peripherial pieces aren't huge and chunky so on that basis I find Fright Knights somewhat more attractive. Not sure how I'd be with new SYSTEM Pirate sets that had huge over accessory blown pieces.

Edited by mister_phes

Perspective can be a terrible thing. If I had known would change greys and market jelly beans as knights I probably would have bought the whole FK theme...

Back on topic: I think you're better off with no new pirate them to disgrace the legacy...unless it had somedecent parts.

God Bless,

Nathan

There must be at least 4 BURPs in there, as well as some other useful oldgry pieces. Like Jipay said, a great parts pack, but a terribly ugly set...

I think you're better off with no new pirate them to disgrace the legacy...unless it had somedecent parts.

You're probably right Mr Norro, LEGO just doesn't have it in them to capture magic in their sets anymore!