Fugazi

How open are you about your Lego passion?

A post in another thread just brought up this question in my mind... Do you share your passion with non-Lego fans? Do you tell your relatives, friends (only the closest ones, or everybody?), your work colleagues or classmates? Where do you draw the line, and what makes you hesitate about telling some on the people you know, if it is the case?

Myself, I'm just back from my dark age, and so far haven't bragged about it to my friends yet. The closest of them will probably know in good time. I will probably never tell my work colleagues though, I work in a 'serious' scientific lab so I'm afraid I will look weird! My parents... well they live far from me, and would probably find it very amusing that I'm into Lego again, since it was such a passion for me when I was young!

Hou about you? Is this a topic that has been raised before? If so, sorry for bringing it up again! :blush:

I talk about it, and after a while, it's just what you do. The odd time that I hear disbelief, I compare it to having model trains or something, and point out it's a heck of a lot better than being a sports fan.

When anyone comes by my apartment, they often want to use all my built sets.

..., and point out it's a heck of a lot better than being a sports fan.

:laugh:

Indeed, and it sure makes more sense to spend lots of money on Lego than to spend it on smokes or drinks (imho, that is).

My friends know, my close friends get bombarded with links whenever I have built a new MOC or created a custom figure. My other friends know it is my hobby and know I buy it. My family all know, certainly. My Mum likes to build City sets and is always pointing out storage options (and nagging me to start sorting so she can help) my Dad knows it is my hobby, he apreciates that a lot of it is an investment and will come to me for opinons on sets and clone brands when my little brother is nagging for some more Lego.

My work collegues know it is my hobby, I browse for sets on eBay at lunch, I bought some from a co-worker in another office. They don't care really, two of them are really into body building, another has a marine aquarium and lots of fish, golf, horse riding, windsurfing, shooting, video games and working out at the gym are all hobbies in my office. Building with Lego is a rather normal hobby. It is the Engineers section though...

I am an adult now and my hobby is Lego, so there is no reason for shame or concern.

Completely open about it. Anyone who knows me understands my passion for Lego. It does help to have two kids of my own (5-7 years) that enjoy the hobby with me. Friends will mention to me anything they see or learn about Lego. Their kids always want to come over to play at our house. They also will brag to me about the sets they have or the MOC's they build so when I visit friends homes I always have to play some Lego with their kids :)

My parents understand, when I was young my Dad built me and my brothers a 10x10 table for our GI Joes and would help us build plaster mountains and stuff.

No co-workers since I am self employed but customers know I enjoy Lego since there are models and sets at my desk. People that meet me for the first time are a little shocked at first when they ask about my hobbies they think about it and understand my passion for restoring, repairing and building things.

Edited by Col. Brik

My wife knows, and supports it a little :-p She bought me one of my collection prizes, the Indiana Jones Comic Con exlclusive.

My parents know, I'm always trying to get my dad to sell me his Lego. He bought a bunch of Pirates when my siblings and I were younger and we had massive battles. He has it all, Eldorado Fortress, Skulls Eye Schooner, 3 or 4 Sabre Islands, Lagoon Lockup, and so on. He wants to save it for his future grandkids to play with. I try telling him, "Dad, these are memories of my childhood, I want them!!!"

A few of my coworkers know. I earned the nickname Lego from one of them when he saw my Lego room, and I have the Captain Brickbeard keychain on my car keys, so sometimes I get a question or two... "Hey Hogan, do you really have a lot of Legos?" "Yeah, I have a lot."

My girlfriend (Who also used to work in a "serious" science lab in Scotland!) tells more people about my hobby than I do, peoples reaction is usually "... cool!"

My ex-girlfriend thought it was a nice hobby. My brother always asks when I'm going to put away my "toys"...

My wife knows and thinks I spend too much money on it, my parents and friends know too, they think its good to have a hobby.

I won't lie about it to anyone, but I won't go out of my way to mention it. It's a hard topic to avoid in my basement, however, considering that the whole room is encrusted in LEGO.

My parents know, and my cousins know. That's about it. It doesn't help that my parents think Lego is a kid's toy, even though it kinda is.

Edited by prateek

I'm getting more and more open about it as time goes on.

My friends think its funny that I like it, my folks don't mind it. They've been very accepting of it lately which is nice for a change :classic:

Edited by Ratshot

I think people generally understand hobbies or they don't. I have a friend who can never understand how I spend money on anything hobby related. he does not understand it at all. People who understand hobbies typically don't seem to think it odd I (we) like LEGOs. Whether it is coins, stamps, comics, LEGO, some other toy, in the end it is quite similar. I used to really collect GI Joes and I recently sold off all of my collection and what is great about LEGO is that once you hunt down what you want and buy it you can build it, break it down and build other stuff and in 5 years build it again. GI Joes I generally just put on a shelf for display. Stamps go in a book, etc. I am 33 and have "grown-up" friends. I had some Star Wars sets on my desk at work and co-workers responded positively to them. " I used to love LEGO" "I love Star Wars too" " Did you ever watch Star TRek?" that sort of thing. Most people know I do LEGOs, no one seem to care except that one friend who just does not understand.

Even in college I wrote several business papers on LEGO.

I'm very open about my hobby with everyone I know. The guys at work gave me a little hassel about it when I first started talking about it a couple years ago, but now it's just part of who I am. I've never had a problem with telling people about whatever my hobby is (it's ranged from comics, to toy collections to swords to role playing games and so on). If someone has a problem with me, as an adult, "playing" with a kids toy, then that's there problem, not mine.

I find that the more people that you're open and honest about it with, the more people will understand. Don't go shoving it down everyone's throat of course, but when the topic comes up in polite conversation, be open and honest about it. In general, people will respect you more for being honest about your passion rather than you trying to hide it or be ashamed.

Just my two cents.

~Chris.

Heck yeah do I tell everyone. I get my Lego parcels delivered to where I work, and whenever something big arrives like the Green Grocer or the Imperial Flagship, I go around and show it to everyone and talk about the features. Most people say 'wow that's awesome', which I don't think is anything to feel ashamed about. :laugh:

Actually, I was more ashamed when I was 15 and I was still buying Lego and all my friends were getting into relationships and alcohol and 'adult' stuff like that. I remember one day having to avoid my friends at a shopping centre because I had a big Lego set and they were all hanging out being teenagers. Shortly after that I dropped the Lego hobby for a long time, probably because of this incident.

Now I'm an adult, I earn my own money, I can buy whatever I like, and see no reason to be ashamed about it. I mean, personally, I don't see the appeal of getting drunk every Saturday night and hanging out in clubs where you can't hear a word anyone says... that just seems weird to me.

Edited by David Thomsen

I mean, personally, I don't see the appeal of getting drunk every Saturday night and hanging out in clubs where you can't hear a word anyone says... that just seems weird to me.

AMEN brother! Never understood the appeal of "clubbing" myself either.

I tell everyone about it, friends, co-workers (well if I had a job I would tell my co-workers), family.

In fact there was one job I interviewed for (but didnt get because I didnt have the experience they were looking for) where the head guy (small web design firm) is a LEGO fan.

I know from personal experience that it can be a long, torturous process. Siegfried took a couple of years to clamber out of the closet. The funniest part is that I missed so many signs: the slowing of the feet whenever we strolled past a Lego lane, diving on ultra cheap sets that found their way to the bargain bin, the constant ridicule and distain of Mega Blocks. It wasn't until he finally, boldly declared his interest in Lego one day that I realised this wasn't just a passing fad, but a deep-rooted love. Nowadays of course I get just as excited about up-coming sets as he does, so it's all good! :laugh:

My Family knows about it and close extended family. Everyone knows I like Star Wars and everything to do about it but I dont go round and spreading the word that I play with lego. High School kids can be immature. If my friends see my collection then I will say I collect but I dont bring it up in conversation because it doesnt come up.

Intresting topic. As for me, Pritty much everyone I know, knows. Most of them don't care. Some think its actully pritty cool, and there will always be those that dismiss me as a freck ( :tongue: ) but, its what I enjoy and I'm happy to let people know. I don't bring it up overly much, but they know, and when friends come over, they often enjoy seeing any new sets, which is cool. Ive had one frinds friend over once, and she said she felt sory for whoever I marry :hmpf_bad: , but ah well :laugh:

As for sigificant others, My last.... friend (yeah, we're not together anymore :hmpf_bad: ) thought it was sweet :wink:

A post in another thread just brought up this question in my mind... Do you share your passion with non-Lego fans? Do you tell your relatives, friends (only the closest ones, or everybody?), your work colleagues or classmates? Where do you draw the line, and what makes you hesitate about telling some on the people you know, if it is the case?

Myself, I'm just back from my dark age, and so far haven't bragged about it to my friends yet. The closest of them will probably know in good time. I will probably never tell my work colleagues though, I work in a 'serious' scientific lab so I'm afraid I will look weird! My parents... well they live far from me, and would probably find it very amusing that I'm into Lego again, since it was such a passion for me when I was young!

Hou about you? Is this a topic that has been raised before? If so, sorry for bringing it up again! :blush:

I have no qualms about letting people know I love LEGO. I sometimes wear LEGO t-shirts out and about (I've been wearing one all day today, in fact; I have it on as I write this), so even strangers passing by and getting only a glimpse of me may still get some idea about my enthusiasm.

AMEN brother! Never understood the appeal of "clubbing" myself either.

well apparently its for guys to pickup girls and girls to dance and maybe pickup guys

according to my younger bro (he is 23, i am 25) there really is not a place to sit unless you have a table reserved which means you bought at least one bottle,

living in sin city Las Vegas means clubs are everywhere, never been clubbing, i would much rather take the motorcycle out for a ride or build some Lego or swoosh around a Lego spaceship

i'm not really open about the hobby, though a few trusted friends know i collect Lego and see no problem with it

Family knows. Girlfriend knows. Some of my mates know (don't know which ones do. lol ). Eh~ They're bound to find out if they visit my home. I want a Red 2x4 LEGO keychain. But it seems unfair that a brick keychain costs the same as a minifig keychain.