29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I thought it would be fun to revisit some of my other Adventurers sets and help fill in the gaps in the review index as I go. Today I'll be checking out 5918 Scorpion Tracker, the very first set from the theme that I received - back in 1998. Enjoy!

legoscorpiontrackerpicturestitlepic.jpg

Set # -5918

Name - Scorpion Tracker

Theme/Subtheme - Adventurers/Desert

Year - 1998

Piece Count - 35

Minifigs - 1

More info @ Brickset

I still have the box from this set, though it is safely stored away. Seeing how the box art is the same as on the instructions, I'll just post pics of the manual.

legoscorpiontrackerpictures001.jpg

The instructions are short and easy to follow. As with older sets, colour differentiation is perfect - no problems telling light gray, dark gray, and black apart!

legoscorpiontrackerpictures004.jpg

At the bottom of the instructions we can see an alternate model:

legoscorpiontrackerpictures005.jpg

Nothing exciting in the form of minifigures (as far as the Adventurers theme goes at least...) However, this was my introduction to our hero Johnny Thunder.

legoscorpiontrackerpictures006.jpg

All the pieces laid out. The Adventurers theme is known for always giving you loads of accessories, and despite the small size of this set you still get a handful of goodies. Here we are introduced to LEGO scorpions (2x black ones), given a nicely printed map, binoculars, a pic axe, shovel, and rifle. The new cockpit piece would also go on to be used in many other sets in the theme.

legoscorpiontrackerpictures010.jpg

Starting the build now...

legoscorpiontrackerpictures011.jpg

Add somewhere for our hero to sit:

legoscorpiontrackerpictures012.jpg

Give the cockpit a steering wheel (always useful), a gear shifter, and printed control panel. There is a slot in the back of the cockpit which allows you to slide the map into for safe keeping. The front of the vehicle is built up more and the back gets a storage box.

legoscorpiontrackerpictures013.jpg

The all important wheels are added, as are some other final touches. The Scorpion Tracker is ready to roll!

legoscorpiontrackerpictures014.jpg

Front view:

legoscorpiontrackerpictures015.jpg

Back:

legoscorpiontrackerpictures016.jpg

Overhead:

legoscorpiontrackerpictures017.jpg

Complete set:

legoscorpiontrackerpictures018.jpg

The Scorpion Tracker is a fun little set and serves as a great introduction to the Adventurers theme. You get the main hero, a nice vehicle, and a sample of new pieces introduced with the theme. My only criticism is that the set can get lost in with the rest of the sets from the line as pretty much the rest of them feature a wheeled vehicle as well. Overall that is a pretty minor point and could mostly be viewed as a positive factor for the theme - the overwhelming diversity of the content found in each set. Scorpion Tracker gets a :thumbup: from me :classic:

As always, comments and questions are more than welcome!

Edited by ZO6
Indexed and poll added

Excellent review, the only thing I'd like to see is a nice white background, but that's just me. This looks like a sweet little set, simple but fun. This is the first time I've seen scorpions too, I know they are probably in other sets but they are new to me.

I own this set, and it was a fun vehicle to play with, especially using it to mix withthe Indiana Jones sets, such as the Race for Stolen Treasure, to integrate a chase. This set offers many useful printed parts, and even though, Johnny Thunder is a common figure, the car and the parts itself, made up for it. :thumbup:

I had this set when I was a little boy. I used to crash it through the room, runnig over the scorpions an take it erverywhere I'd go. :cry_happy:

Great Review ZO6! :thumbup:

The set is quite small but does look like fun, afew of these and you would have a nice sized caravan of trackers. :wub:

the parts are a nice selection, specially those printed tiles. :wub:

Thanks for the review!

CommanderFox

Great review 'ZO6' - cute little set - cool old style buck-board truck ! :grin:

Stone the crows' it's Johnny Thunder ! :laugh:

I'll hunt some of these parts down - my country town could have one of these parked out in it's street, of course with Johnny behind the wheel ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

A nice little review here ZO6! This was my first Adventurers set, I remember being blown away when I got it for Christmas (pre-internet days when I never saw prelim pics months ahead :grin: ). The jeep has such a cool older look to it, especially with that grill piece on the front, I was quite impressed by that. I always loved that the jeep body piece with the seats had that perfect little slot for maps to be stored in, such a neat detail! There's a good assortment of accessories too, rifle, binoculars, pick and shovel, scorpions, etc. Not very much to it, but like you said ZO6, it serves as a great introduction to the theme! Thanks for sharing! :classic:

Now those were the times! :cry_happy::laugh:

That used to be one of my most favourite sets from the whole line. It was very vroooomable and remember playing with it for hours. It is one of those sets that even now, somewhat 10+ years (OMG, I'm so old! :oh: ) look great! ) :thumbup:

Thanks for bringing back those memories! )

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

What a fun set. I sure hope we get to see more from the Action themes, away from the movies. These came out in my dark ages, and I could really use a few of these now.

The truck is a really nice addition. It looks cobbled together as something you might find chugging through the desert looking for adventure and treasure.

Thanks for the review.

Great review,i recently bought a huge box of loose parts with the cockpit,the wheels and the grille piece too,did wonder where they might have come from as i missed the Johny Thunder theme!

Great review,i recently bought a huge box of loose parts with the cockpit,the wheels and the grille piece too,did wonder where they might have come from as i missed the Johny Thunder theme!

I too bought a box of loose Legos at a garage sale and found all the parts to build this model. The only way I knew what the parts were for was by looking at some old brochures/catalogs that came with the various sets at that time. Thanks for the detailed review with the complete instructions. :thumbup:

This set introduced me to the Adventurers Desert/Egypt collection after the movie, 'The Mummy', came out. I really enjoyed building it and keep it safe inside a small Adventurers Chest with a few of the other small sets from the collection.

adventurebox.jpg

5 Star Set! :thumbup:

Scorpian Tracker is the name of the jeep you ride in on Laser Raiders (lost kingdom adventure) at Legoland Windsor and California!

Exept the ride version is a four seater and has laser guns!