Sign in to follow this  
TrainTrack

Can't we convert the new trains

There's been an uproar over the new power system for LEGO train's. using battery packs. Can we not just simply add our 9V train motors to the bottom and use it as you would a normal train. It would be like converting the hogwarts express to 9V. Forgive me if there is something stopping this, but it looks 100% possible from the pictures.

7897_1.jpg

7897_5.jpg

7898_5.jpg

I've been wondering, too. To me the motor on the ICE engine looks like a standard 9V motor. Even if it isn't, it looks like it has the same dimensions, so I'm guessing you can just switch 'em...

One thing that has been discussed on other sites is the battery pack. It is attached to the bottom of a standard train baseplate and cannot be removed.

I think it would have been a good move if the pack simply snapped (or clipped) to the bottom of the plate rather than being a permenent fixture.

Despite some minor problems, the RC system looks pretty nice and the set designs are quite sharp. I love the cargo train with the green cab pieces.

And it was a good move by LEGO to have AFOL input on the design of the new system.

-- Bryan

Don't get me wrong, these are probably the best trains I've seen.

Another thing, can you sit back and watch your trains go round, or, do you have to contantly have your finger on the forward button of the R/C controller. One last thing, can we set different paces, or is it simply forwards and backwards.

I may have to boycott these new trains. I'm tired of Lego changing existing designs, pieces, and colors (esp. with trains). NO MORE CHANGES TO TRAINS!

But you can power the standard 9V train engine using the 'lighting brick' connector on the top of it. Is this how the new ones work?

You can use this to make your mindstorms run your train.

Jof

Another thing, can you sit back and watch your trains go round, or, do you have to contantly have your finger on the forward button of the R/C controller. One last thing, can we set different paces, or is it simply forwards and backwards.

In addition to that, is it IR or "radio"? If it is IR then... well... better not say that here...

As for the AFOL involvement: they might have been involved but I can't believe they supported that system. Maybe it was just the train design...

I think it was mainly designed to be cheaper and more affordable to kids wanting to enter the wandefull world of lego trains. So I am basically waiting for for the prices before judging

I think it was mainly designed to be cheaper and more affordable to kids wanting to enter the wandefull world of lego trains. So I am basically waiting for for the prices before judging

Prices

Most likely add a few % for Europe...

Is it me or does Lego seem to be emulating playmobile?

Planes - have you seen how close the designs are (particularly last years big duplo plane)

and now

RC Trains

Is it me or does Lego seem to be emulating playmobile?

Planes - have you seen how close the designs are (particularly last years big duplo plane)

and now

RC Trains

I've been saying this for a long time. Vikings, Airport/Airplanes, RC Trains (just in the last few years). What's next? Maybe zoo? Some argue that both companies just make popular/common themes. But when you look at what the themes are, I'm not sure how common/popular themes like Vikings and Airplanes are. Also, Playmobil seems to 1st offer the theme, and Lego seems to mimic the theme a few years later. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think Lego watches to see popularity and ideas of Playmobil themes, then decide to try the theme in Lego.

I've been saying this for a long time. Vikings, Airport/Airplanes, RC Trains (just in the last few years). What's next? Maybe zoo? Some argue that both companies just make popular/common themes. But when you look at what the themes are, I'm not sure how common/popular themes like Vikings and Airplanes are. Also, Playmobil seems to 1st offer the theme, and Lego seems to mimic the theme a few years later. Coincidence? I don't think so. I think Lego watches to see popularity and ideas of Playmobil themes, then decide to try the theme in Lego.

I've noticed that, too. Problem with watching and then trying is that that theme might not be so popular anymore. It seems TLG isn't willing to take "risks" (Galidor anyone?) like Playmobil seems to, or they just don't trust their consultants that much anymore (Galidor anyone?)...

Actually you cannot realy compare both companies : Playmobil is in fact releasing the same themes years after years, with a little bit of relooking from time to time. Now, Playmobil is in a much better financial health than TLC with its strategy. The CEO of Playmobil once said it was volontary to stick to their sucessfull themes.

If Lego could copy them... that would mean houses, a zoo and pirates :(

Did anyone notice there is no 'train engine/controller pack' like there has been for the standard 9V.

Which means it's harder to get anyone with existing track/systems, converted over to the new system, and allow them to buy the new track, WITHOUT BUYING A BIG SET. So anyone with existing trains/track, has to invest in a complete new train to use the new track/engines right? Not quite what I expected, since I assumed they would have a controller/engine pack available to help people convert over.

Heck you could mix old/new trains even with the old trains only capable of running on the metal track, but at a few switches the remote control trains could switch to an expanded track system, without problems.

Did anyone notice there is no 'train engine/controller pack' like there has been for the standard 9V.

Which means it's harder to get anyone with existing track/systems, converted over to the new system, and allow them to buy the new track, WITHOUT BUYING A BIG SET. So anyone with existing trains/track, has to invest in a complete new train to use the new track/engines right? Not quite what I expected, since I assumed they would have a controller/engine pack available to help people convert over.

Heck you could mix old/new trains even with the old trains only capable of running on the metal track, but at a few switches the remote control trains could switch to an expanded track system, without problems.

You can power the existing 9V motor from a 9V technic battery box via a wire. I have tried it, but that means:

No variable speed through a controller.

Desiging the train or wagon like the old 4.5V blue track system to include the battery box.

Don't know about the other way round, but I guess that if your engine won't fit on the new platform you've had it.

Looks like I will be checking out ebay for 9V track