81 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

Outstanding review! :cry_happy:

This is truly can be considered as one of the sea transportation legendary sets. I never knew this set break so many records, and have such impressive array of facilities, ships and vehicles to accompany with it. More importantly, this port hold many great factors such as the crane, gate house, fork lift and etc. What impress me the most, is the brick-built ship. That's what I called building bricks, and what others might comment, non-<insert that tiresome argument>.

This review has been featured inside Classic-Town.net.

I had this set when I was a child and I loooved it, and your review of it is just awesome, great job on it ! you made me nostalgic ^^

Great review of an outstanding set and I can confirm its accolades first hand as I own it. Back in '92 I used the dock baseplates to build a flight deck for a rather absurd aircraft carrier featuring a wood (Pirate) hull.

Nice review of a nice set!

I got this really nice set recently off Ebay. I was actually bidding on something else from the same seller (forgot what it was) and he offered this one too. I actually wanted to draw the lines for my Town collection at 1980-1990 (to go with my gray era 12V train collection, but since this is such a nice set, I figured, what the heck, I bid €45 with no expectations of winning the bidding. Well, I didn't get the other set but this one for just €42. It turned out to be in great shape with all (32!) stickers still in place. Only the two yellow containers were missing.

Thank you everyone for all the positive comments! :cry_happy: I never knew this set will garner so much attention. Also special thanks to the mods for giving this review the front page treatment. :thumbup:

I do agree with everyone here; this set is light years ahead in terms of design. The fact it could integrate with other sets is another plus which sadly is not so apparent in current city sets. I hope TLG do come out with a new port set with a REAL container crane and more sturdy dock. Also, a brick-built ship would be a great bonus.

I noticed in the set 4563: Load and haul railroad, there is a small yellow container that has the same tractor in this set. Both the 4563 and 6542 was released in 1991, so I am guessing somehow the little tractor has made its way across some ocean and is now on its way home by railroad. :tongue:

Just for everyone's knowledge, here is a "How do they do it" video I found on the net regarding how a container terminal is run. You can draw alot of similarities to the container terminal featured in the video and this set.