Scorpio

Making Curved Track Look Better

traintech1.jpg

Hello

I am pretty new to this forum but have been looking around as a guest for a while. I have a question that hopefully you train geniuses will be able to answer. Is there any way to make this curve look better? I am happy with the way it is now but if anyone knew of a better way of doing this I would love to hear from you. Basically I would like to make the part under the track look like it is curving better with the track and also maybe make the black plates on the top of the track fit together better. Thanks in advance!

602.jpg

603.jpg

604.jpg

605.jpg

Brickshelf

Edited by TheBrickster

Hi DHCP. Interesting topic, but please watch your image size. 800 x 600 is the max per our site guidelines. You don't have to resize these, but for next time, just know the max.

Thanks, -TB

Me personally, no. I really don't have any suggestions as to how to make the curves look a bit smoother. However, I noticed you live in Illinois, anywhere near Chicago? My train club has a show this weekend in the south suburbs and I know one of our members has an elevated track with curves. Might be worth it to swing by and get a glimpse at how others have pulled it off?

Stash2sixx

Me personally, no. I really don't have any suggestions as to how to make the curves look a bit smoother. However, I noticed you live in Illinois, anywhere near Chicago? My train club has a show this weekend in the south suburbs and I know one of our members has an elevated track with curves. Might be worth it to swing by and get a glimpse at how others have pulled it off?

Stash2sixx

Not to go too far off topic but yes, I live in Naperville. I have seen the farm display from your group at the Schaumburg Lego Store. I have always wanted to replicate the Chicago CTA and this is my first attempt at creating some sort of elevated rail system. I have seen a whole lot of your group's pictures online and they have inspired me. I might just have to swing by your show on Saturday. It is the one at the Oak Lawn Library, correct?

2 x 1 bricks joined together have a bit of flex as shown below

3646239127_cdf64d0d56.jpg

Michigan Lego Train Club photo

Edited by AllanSmith

2 x 1 bricks joined together have a bit of flex as shown below

3646239127_cdf64d0d56.jpg

I have a question

can the train 7897 drive on this bridge ?

with the nose that comes so much further?

that is perhaps the solution for my own layout

these train can never drive at my layout.

he takes all trees with him,

the nose goes too far from the tracks

:sick:

Not to go too far off topic but yes, I live in Naperville. I have seen the farm display from your group at the Schaumburg Lego Store. I have always wanted to replicate the Chicago CTA and this is my first attempt at creating some sort of elevated rail system. I have seen a whole lot of your group's pictures online and they have inspired me. I might just have to swing by your show on Saturday. It is the one at the Oak Lawn Library, correct?

Hey Hey! wow, someone from Naperville! I'm also in Naperville! :laugh:

Like Stash2Sixx said, come down to an NILTC show (which I'm also a member) and see what we build to maybe get some inspiration! :thumbup:

Yes It's the Oak Lawn Library, although this time I'm not displaying, just did not have the time to get things together. :cry_sad:

Cool, looking forward to meeting you. Just ask for Stash; I'll be there all day Saturday and Sunday!

I have a question

Photo from Michigan Lego Train Club. Maybe a member can answer your questions. :classic:

I have a question

The technique doesn't depend on how far the wall is from the tracks so you could make it wider if you wanted, or you could build the wall lower, or raise the track within the walls so the train clears it.

I think doing this sort of thing has a lot of potential (expanding width, dual rail etc.) but it would cost a great deal of money as far as parts are concerned. As you can see, the sides there are mostly built up with 2 x 2 brick.

To make it look "better", I'd use plates to extend the elevated section out another 2 or 3 studs. All the best. :wink:

NICE

:cry_happy::thumbup::classic::tongue::knight::pirate::alien:

Please don't use so many smileys in an otherwise pointless post in future.

If you have set 7897, it's easy to test how far the wall has to be from the tracks. Build a standard curve, lay a plate 2 x 12 halfway across the track, with 8 studs below the track and the rest at the outside of the corner. Place a pillar or some bricks at the edge. With the train you can look how far the bricks have to be from the track. With a curved wall this should be the same.

Edited by Richie

The technique doesn't depend on how far the wall is from the tracks so you could make it wider if you wanted, or you could build the wall lower, or raise the track within the walls so the train clears it.

Thanks for de repley

I think that i must go for a system like this...

:wink:

Here is an update with my elevated rail. I am actually liking the way the underpart looks as the town grows around it. I also added gates to the top to make it look a little nicer (thank you pick a brick wall). I would also like to point out that I am using a modified version of the 7897 Passenger Train. My version does not have the front nose. Let me know what you think. Questions, comments, criticism welcome. Thanks.

615.jpg

616.jpg

618.jpg

619.jpg

620.jpg

621.jpg

622.jpg

Looks fantastic now! the width is nice, and the railing looks brilliant. good idea, and nicely executed. But do you plan to expand it? At the moment as such a small loop it doesn't really serve a purpose. It doesn't make sense being there being so small. Perhaps you could expand it a little around the buildings and give it a station. Then I'd say it has every reason to be there, and it would look far better! :classic:

But do you plan to expand it? At the moment as such a small loop it doesn't really serve a purpose. It doesn't make sense being there being so small.

The first thing came to my mind about the first picture is the "pizza display" topic. :D

Anyway, this MOC looks fantastic, it seems to be a real railway bridge.

But do you plan to expand it? At the moment as such a small loop it doesn't really serve a purpose. It doesn't make sense being there being so small. Perhaps you could expand it a little around the buildings and give it a station. Then I'd say it has every reason to be there, and it would look far better! :classic:

I do plan to expand the layout when I actually have more table room. I am currently limited to two tables and the amount of 1x2 dark gray bricks I can get.

There is a station in the setup but it isn't really standard. If you look at the far left in the pictures you can see the train coming out of a building. That is the station. Here is an individual picture.

I am still designing this station. I am not happy with the front glass but it works for now.

The building design is loosely based off Chicago CTA stops.

623.jpg

624.jpg

Edited by DHCP1121