Is it me or I love them all :wub:

And is this in the right forum?

I was stuck between Train Tech, City and the Sci Fi fourm. :look:

So what Monorail is your favorite?

6399- Airport Shuttle :wub:

6399, I have 2 of them :wub: :wub:

Also have 6990 for extra track parts

Edited by AllanSmith

No, this is the right forum for this, unless The Brickster feels differently.

I voted for #6399, not just because I own it, but because I just like it out of the other three trains.

I would go for the airport set - looks more realistic, while the sci-fi ones look 1980's cartoon show style ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I would probably say 6399 too, but this isn't really a fair comparison. 6399 is a much larger set than the other two and includes almost twice as much track. :tongue:

I don't actually have 6399, but have two 6990s and a 6991. Out of those, I think 6990 is a better set.

I think 6399 is the best one just because its city while the other two are sci fi which doesnt interest me that much. I like it because its based on something that could be possible and would work well in any city. I dont have the set but I really want to get it along with extra monorail pieces to make one huge track! :wub:

This is almost a no-brainer:

1st: 6399 - a true classic and well designed in its city surrounding.

2nd: 6990 - very simple in its colors, but a very nice shape for the train. Looks faster than 6399.

3rd: 6991 - very futuristic. The engine looks like a B-model, not yet finished. The only set to come with points! :thumbup:Besides the track accessory kit 6347.

Both space monorails look kind of blocky: Giant wheels, no closed dome in 6990, open structures in general. Somehow unfinished (I mentioned that before).

But the playability is great for all three sets. In my opinion this is, what counts.

I own all three of them :wub:, but for 6399 it's just the train, not the tracks.

The red train is still build, the other two trains are completely disassembled. One motor went to my maglev train.

The third motor is still waiting to be implemented elsewhere. I have some ideas but not the time to let them come true. :blush:

This is almost a no-brainer:

Agreed, Holodoc pretty much sums up my views. Unfortunately I don't own any monorail. Hopefully TLG comes up with a new City monorail/tram that fits the current scale of City sets soon.

I voted for the Monorail Transport System, since that's the one that I had back then. However, now I would go for the Airport Shuttle, and build an airport to go with it.

Peter

Interesting topic, and I think Train Tech is okay for the post.

I never had any of the monorails. :sad: In fact, I didn't know that LEGO made three. I'd have to go with the City/Town Monorail that looks the nicest in my opinion. -just wish I had one.

EDIT: I can't help to think that if this topic was posted in Space/Sci-Fi, the results might be a bit different.

I voted for 6399 - Airport Shuttle, part of the reason is visible in my signature. Apart from that one :blush: it is also one of the most missed sets in the City lineup (I think there was a vote for the most desired come back and I am pretty sure Airport Shuttle won). The sci-fi sets are perhaps a little bit underestimated, I think they have great playability and tracks not available in Airport Shuttle.

Monorail, though really great set standalone, is huge challenge in terms of larger City scenes - the monorail tracks just don't go along well with other sets. Still you can find some great MOCs based on monorail - see here - great modern use of monorail.

Holodoc - great maglev train!

i like all but 6399 is the best in term of playability, color scheme and design.

6399, hands down. :thumbup: A TRUE classic! :wub:

If I were a spaceman and wanted to go from place A to place B I would just take one of the small flying crafts and go. :wink:

It's not called sci-fi for nothing! :tongue:

Great replies everyone :classic:

No, this is the right forum for this, unless The Brickster feels differently.
Interesting topic, and I think Train Tech is okay for the post.

I never had any of the monorails. :sad: In fact, I didn't know that LEGO made three. I'd have to go with the City/Town Monorail that looks the nicest in my opinion. -just wish I had one.

EDIT: I can't help to think that if this topic was posted in Space/Sci-Fi, the results might be a bit different.

Ok that is great :grin: Sometimes I have trouble finding moved topics anyway :grin:

Probably the space Monorails would be more popular as they are ravid space fans over in the Sci Fi forum :tongue:

But perhaps 6399 has such a large fanbase it wouldn't really matter :laugh:

Agreed, Holodoc pretty much sums up my views. Unfortunately I don't own any monorail. Hopefully TLG comes up with a new City monorail/tram that fits the current scale of City sets soon.

Oh yes! I totally agree the should make a new Monorail system :wub:

They could use it for City and Space just like they did in the past

And Zorbas, in space yes you could use a little speeder or something but a Monorail is much cooler :tongue:

Edited by Macoco

And Zorbas, in space yes you could use a little speeder or something but a Monorail is much cooler :tongue:

Plus faster.

The main trouble with creating a 'monorail' would be the need to create new track, wheels etc. that work properly and in scale with current city buildings.

I fear this was a no brainer poll especially as it's posted in the train forum, I doubt their is a huge amount of space fans visiting the train forum, there are few trains in outer space :-)

Hello!

I voted 6399. It's really classic and it reminds me the '80's atmosphere (though it's from early '90's :tongue: ). I'm trying to get them all, but first Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and maybe Century Skyline? :laugh:

Regards, Dr

Only if there are no delays concerning arrivals. :grin:

To be honest, I also like the 6990 since it was a set that was released during my childhood and I was really impressed when I had first seen it.

I have all 3 and they all are great

I like the airport shuttle the best just mostly for the rare slopes and colors

I just wish they would do another set soon

I voted for the #6399 Airport Shuttle as I love the set design and it has that wonderful Classic Town feel. That said, I own two copies of #6990 and one copy of #6991 (plus a ton of extra track). For me, MOC-ing the monorails is so much fun. CopMike's Metroliner and Emerald Night MOC's were really the inspiration for me to get into monorail in the first place. I'd love to get a #6399 in the future...but wow are they expensive. Perhaps I can convince Stacy to get one for my birthday. :tongue:

-Davey

My vote goes to the unreleased "Aquazone" monorail, just because it was never released and would have added a 3rd theme to use the monorail.

But if we are talking about sets that were released, my vote goes for the Airport Shuttle. It was my favorite set as a child, not to mention my first motorized one. Probably made me stick mainly with the town theme too. I'm not big on space stuff, so I am a bit biased, but what can I say?! hehe

I don't know anything about that Aquazone Monorail, would you care to share more?

I don't know anything about that Aquazone Monorail, would you care to share more?

It was shown in an article in Issue 6, Volume 2, Summer 2009 of Brickjournal. I believe it was referenced as a 'Sea-Tron Monorail' and was designed around 1990. The article itself was called 'The Truth About SPACE!' and was written by Mark Stafford. It included some great quotes from Jens Nygaard Knudsen and Niels Milan Pedersen. Worth checking out if you can get your hands on a digital or print copy of that issue.

I did manage to find a Brickshelf image of the scrapped set/theme.

seatron_1.jpg

Cool stuff!

-Davey

tot-lug_100x40.jpg