Admiral Bejaune

WIP Teaser of an American Frigate

Here are some better quality photos. There is much, much more rigging to be done, as well as making her sails, so there is a lot to do before she is complete. Enjoy! Feedback is much appreciated.

ausspresident15.jpg

usspresident18.jpg

usspresident16.jpg

usspresident17.jpg

usspresident19.jpg

-Admiral Bejaune

Edited by Admiral Bejaune

Wow Admiral! What a stunning update! :pir-wub:

She looks great, awesome lines and her masts start turning out really well!

This is certainly becoming one of the best ships I've ever seen.

Great job so far, and good luck with the rigging process! :thumbup:

Looks very sleek!

I very much like the overal shape of the hull and the look of the masts.

And I like the simple color scheme of these US frigates.

No doubt, this one is frontpage material once finished.

Amazing update Admiral!

Her masts are starting to look great, the black rigging looks really authentic :thumbup:

Her bow looks great as well!!

Keep those updates coming Admiral :pir-wub:

Hey there, Admiral!

That's certainly a beauty, you got there. I especially like the very sleek and elegant appeareance achieved through the lenght of 7 midsections and comparatively small horizontal curving.

The jumperplates also are a nice touch for the protection beams. :thumbup:

Your Bell is also nice, I might try that as well on my frigates.

One thing I don't like so much is the dark tan headrails. Certainly dark tan is great colour, but IMO it seems a bit misplaced there. Personally I'd prefer white.

I'm not so sure of the MOC cannons on the upper gundeck: didn't most frigates at that time (and esspecially the US ones) have carronades?

Well consider this a question of taste...

But - most importantly - the rigging with that lovely black string looks excellent! Anyone got an idea where to get such nice string in Germany? I have looked around a lot, but haven't found that good one...

Regards

Perfectionist

But - most importantly - the rigging with that lovely black string looks excellent! Anyone got an idea where to get such nice string in Germany? I have looked around a lot, but haven't found that good one...

Same here...

I've been looking around for string only slightly thinner than that. Any idea what brand it is?

Oh yeah, and the ship is looking great too! I might reccomend making the lower mast completely white and lose the stripes...

:pir_yoda:

Oh yeah, and the ship is looking great too! I might reccomend making the lower mast completely white and lose the stripes...

Those "Stripes are iron rings or something wich holded the mast together, The mast wasnt usually in 1 piece, iron "rings" holded it together. I cannot transelate the anserw how the mast were maked, but i guess someone knows how they were maked, in sweden they used that technique so i say: Keep those black bricks on the mast, it adds a relistic looks at me

Captain Becker

Those "Stripes are iron rings or something wich holded the mast together, The mast wasnt usually in 1 piece, iron "rings" holded it together. I cannot transelate the anserw how the mast were maked, but i guess someone knows how they were maked, in sweden they used that technique so i say: Keep those black bricks on the mast, it adds a relistic looks at me

Captain Becker

I know that iron rings were used, but they were not near that thick. On the Beagle I used 2x2 black plates (not rounded) to represent iron rings and it looks really good.

Nice Boat (pity it has to be american but hey we beat Napoleon and they DIDN'T).By the way how many guns :cannon: ?

Nice Boat (pity it has to be american but hey we beat Napoleon and they DIDN'T).By the way how many guns :cannon: ?

Why is that a pity? And she has 50 guns.

It's been a month and a half since you posted that... I forget things...

It has also been on the frontpage for the last 2-3 days. Unless if you didn't read that..

So is she going to have 50 or 54 guns? (and also carronades?)

You've managed to squeeze 28 guns on just 7 midsections, which is incredible! However the "real" 6 American heavy Frigates had 30 guns and 32 gunports on the gundeck. So I can't imagine you'll manage to fit 54 guns, which would be realistic. 50 seems more doable; and it's still enormous for a frigate!

Perfectionist

So is she going to have 50 or 54 guns? (and also carronades?)

No Just long guns.. No carronades. The Uss President's, as well as the Constitutions first armament did not have carronades, but just all long guns. The long guns on the spar decks where replaced with carronade later on. So I am making her armament like it was when it was first built. (That is also why her headrails are not like the current Constitutions headrails, and her stern has a bit more ornate look. The headrails and stern design changed later in her career.)

You've managed to squeeze 28 guns on just 7 midsections, which is incredible! However the "real" 6 American heavy Frigates had 30 guns and 32 gunports on the gundeck. So I can't imagine you'll manage to fit 54 guns, which would be realistic. 50 seems more doable; and it's still enormous for a frigate!

Perfectionist

Yea Im quite proud of fitting 28 guns on her gundeck (with four stud spacing), as well as the 22 guns on her upper deck. I am aware of how much more armed the Us frigates REALLY were, but I think this is close enough for being built on prefabs (7 Mids is the max in my book), and the Number is 50 guns, not 54.

Thanks

-Admiral Bejuane

Where did you get that rope? It looks just like the LEGO rope. That stuff is excellent, it's.. miniature rope, really! I haven't seen it anywhere besides LEGO sets.

WALMART

look for nylon string...

Edited by the_green_avenger

Wow, really? I can't believe Hobby Lobby didn't have it! Thanks! Nice ship so far, by the way... got to be tough with no hull sections, but at least you have a keel!

were you talking to me or bejuane?

with the making of this ship, does this mean that the Sang Royale has been demolished? please say no. PLEASE!

No. Sang Royale has not been demolished. Expect an update on the USS President soon.