Admiral Bejaune

WIP Teaser of an American Frigate

Its already a beautiful ship, but why is there a soldier flag at the stern? This ship is american, right?

Yes she is an American ship.... The flags will be custom and she will be colonial American when the ship is finished. I just put that there fore scale purpose.

Cheers.

Bejaune.

It appears you're making another wonderful vessel Admiral!

I hope you can finish construction at her bow soon as I too would love to see some pictures of that part.

The stern looks amazing although I'm not entirely convinced on the blue parts.

The rest of her colourscheme is beautiful :thumbup:

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Keep up the good work!

Very, very nice! Clean lines and just enough stern detail to set off the rest of the b/w color scheme. I'm glad to see you'll be using a custom ensign, too.

Thanks again everyone for the comments. I have just completed her bow and will be taking pictures hopefully tomorrow in good light (Its been raining here, no sun). I also should be receiving my BL order any day now, and will post her decking soon.

Her colors will be the Continental Navy Naval Jack flag:

800px-naval_jack_of_the_united_statessvg.png

And the Grand Union Flag:

grand_union_flag.png

-Admiral Bejaune

Thanks again everyone for the comments. I have just completed her bow and will be taking pictures hopefully tomorrow in good light (Its been raining here, no sun). I also should be receiving my BL order any day now, and will post her decking soon.

Her colors will be the Continental Navy Naval Jack flag:

800px-naval_jack_of_the_united_statessvg.png

And the Grand Union Flag:

grand_union_flag.png

-Admiral Bejaune

Looks good. In a way, England still rules that ship! :pir_laugh2:

Looks good. In a way, England still rules that ship! :pir_laugh2:

Thanks,

I had a feeling you would post something in regards to the Grand Union flag. But yes since the English created the American colonies there is a bit of an English connection there. However the frigates of the United States were not designed in the fashion of the English, but a whole new way to build frigates. They were stronger, larger, more heavily armed and faster. The British navy made a rule that a single frigate could never engage an American frigate due to the superiority of the American super frigates.

-Admiral Bejaune

Edited by Admiral Bejaune

They were stronger, larger, more heavily armed and faster.

They weren't quite larger or more heavily armed (in amount of cannons, not size of cannons). BUT, they were most definately faster and stronger, even though 99.5% of all american frigates were privateers.

I'm not sure about the rule that british weren't allowed to attack american frigates... I'll have too ask my trusty friend Google about that one...

:pir_yoda:

They weren't quite larger or more heavily armed (in amount of cannons, not size of cannons). BUT, they were most definately faster and stronger, even though 99.5% of all american frigates were privateers.

I'm not sure about the rule that british weren't allowed to attack american frigates... I'll have too ask my trusty friend Google about that one...

They were much bigger than an average 44 gun frigate. There were smaller american frigates, but this one is based off of one of the original six that where built for the navy, they all had the same dimensions as a 74 gun ship but where a single deck frigate with spare and fore deck armament. You can read about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_six_...ted_States_Navy , Or I could copy the books I read it out of if that does not suit you. And the rule of engagement between British and American frigates was 2 british to 1 american, or more only if the american frigate was a super frigate not a privateer. Sorry for the confusion on that subject.

-Admiral Bejaune

And the rule of engagement between British and American frigates was 2 british to 1 american, or more only if the american frigate was a super frigate not a privateer. Sorry for the confusion on that subject.

-Admiral Bejaune

My bad. I was thinking more of privateers. But now that makes a bit more sense.

In the Battle of Flamborough Head, the british were out-numbered 2:4, though THEY were the ones being attacked, isn't it a rule that they must retreat if they are outnumbered 2:1 or something like that?

Edit: the british were accually outnumbered 2:5 :pir-classic: also, the HMS Serapis had 44 guns, the Countess of Scarborough had 20, the Bonhomme Richard had 42, the Alliance had about as many as the BR, As well there was the pallas, the vengeance, and some other schooner-of-war, whose gun count I am uncertain of, somewhere around 20, 15, 10. Anyway, you can see that the british were greatly outnumbered. I'm sure there's got to be some kind of rule of when to retreat.

Edited by the_green_avenger

My bad. I was thinking more of privateers. But now that makes a bit more sense.

In the Battle of Flamborough Head, the british were out-numbered 2:4, though THEY were the ones being attacked, isn't it a rule that they must retreat if they are outnumbered 2:1 or something like that?

Edit: the british were accually outnumbered 2:5 :pir-classic:

You would think, but perhaps they where retreating and where not getting away and where force to turn and fight, or that they did not have the weather gauge in order to retreat.

You would think, but perhaps they where retreating and where not getting away and where force to turn and fight, or that they did not have the weather gauge in order to retreat.

According to Wikipedia, they didn't, until about 30 minutes into the battle when the Countess decided to ditch the Serapis :pir-tongue:

Americans always try to make everything bigger than another country! :pir_laugh2:

Oh well, Put the Unicorn in the range of the Frigate and Bye Bye baby! :pir-grin:

Americans always try to make everything bigger than another country! :pir_laugh2:

Oh well, Put the Unicorn in the range of the Frigate and Bye Bye baby! :pir-grin:

LOL yeah and when that is happening i will be singing at "Bye bye baby, baby goodbye!" whit a gladly voice, :pir-tongue:

Edited by Captain Becker

And we usually succeed too. :pir-tongue: Sorry, I couldn't resist. I really like this frigate. The design is really nice and I am really impressed with the stern gallery. Can't wait until it is finnished. :pir-classic:

And we usually succeed too. :pir-tongue: Sorry, I couldn't resist. I really like this frigate. The design is really nice and I am really impressed with the stern gallery. Can't wait until it is finnished. :pir-classic:

You suceed but everyone feels you have ashamed the original thing. Like "New England" and "New York". There our names! Stop stealing them! :pir_laugh2:

You suceed but everyone feels you have ashamed the original thing. Like "New England" and "New York". There our names! Stop stealing them! :pir_laugh2:

Austrailia did too :pir-tongue: like "New South Wales", same story in both places, they're of english decent! dur!

Yea I dont think we would be dumb enough to let the Unicorn get in range. I know if I saw a large Ship of the line coming towards me I would bend every sail I got, good thing its a frigate and can outrun it! The Unicorn was looking good the last time I saw it.

And to answer why America made there frigates so large was that they did not have enough money to make a fleet of ship of the lines. So they commissioned 6 frigates large enough to overtake any frigate and just large enough to spar with a ship of the line if needed.

-Admiral Bejaune

Uhh, you mean "New Amsterdam" founded by the Dutch, than later turned into "New York" by the Brittish?

The Brits forgot to change the other names though: Harlem (Haarlem) Brooklyn (Breukelen) staten Islant (Staten Eiland) Breedweg (Broadway) Walstraat (Wallstreat).

On a side note on New Amsterdam/York:

YanKees stands for the Dutch names Jan and Kees ergo: The JanKees, now known as the Yankees.

A nickname used by the Brittish to describe those pesky Dutch colonials in New Amsterdam.

She's coming along really nice admiral, can't wait to see the finished result!

I really like the blue and gold, but I would give dark blue a chance as well.

Hope you get your headrails the way you want. :pir-wink:

Uhh, you mean "New Amsterdam" founded by the Dutch, than later turned into "New York" by the Brittish?

The Brits forgot to change the other names though: Harlem (Haarlem) Brooklyn (Breukelen) staten Islant (Staten Eiland) Breedweg (Broadway) Walstraat (Wallstreat).

On a side note on New Amsterdam/York:

YanKees stands for the Dutch names Jan and Kees ergo: The JanKees, now known as the Yankees.

A nickname used by the Brittish to describe those pesky Dutch colonials in New Amsterdam.

Yeah, once upon a time we ruled the world. Dutch for the win! :pir_laugh2:

Here is a quick update, and a few blurry pics. Her rigging is coming along nicely and her hull is about 95% finished (A few detailing bits and she's 100%)

photo_19.jpg

photo_20.jpg

High quality pics will be taken upon completion.

-Admiral Bejaune

Wow Admiral! This is a very impressive ship, the rigging looks very detailed. Very nice creation there buddy. :pir-classic:

Perhaps this update should be blogged on Classic-Pirates.com?

Wow, she's becoming a beauty! Perhaps I need to build a frigate so I can USE CGH's technique....right now with my schooner I'm winging it.

Great updage Admiral, it looks beatifull whit that ridding and when she gets her sails... then maby i will gonna give you some ordes :pir_laugh2: Great work. Keep it up Admiral, keep it up

Captain Becker

Wow Admiral! This is a very impressive ship, the rigging looks very detailed. Very nice creation there buddy. :pir-classic:

Perhaps this update should be blogged on Classic-Pirates.com?

That's a very good idea captain! blogged.png

Unfortunately you didn't want to take high-quality pic's, so I can't give a lot of comments.

But it's looking very good so far. The bowsprit seems a bit short but that can be because of the camera angle.

For the rest I think you keep it very close to real ships so there's nothing wrong with it.

Can't wait to see the finished product, keep it up!