Admiral Bejaune

WIP Teaser of an American Frigate

Those "Stripes are iron rings or something wich holded the mast together, The mast wasnt usually in 1 piece, iron "rings" holded it together. I cannot transelate the anserw how the mast were maked, but i guess someone knows how they were maked, in sweden they used that technique so i say: Keep those black bricks on the mast, it adds a relistic looks at me

Captain Becker

Captain Becker, the bottom portion of the masts for these frigates come from the cores of four tall pine trees. The iron rings are what hold the four sections of mast together. The tree cores made these masts very tough. I do not believe any of the six original frigates ever lost more than a top mast.

and it's still enormous for a frigate!

That is why these frigates were considered "Super-Frigates". Their actual dimensions for length and beam were close to the same dimensions as a 74-gun ship of the line. These Frigates typically also carried about 400 crew. If I remember correctly from my reading, I believe they would have enough crew to fire full-broadsides from both sides of the ship.

No Just long guns.. No carronades. The Uss President's, as well as the Constitutions first armament did not have carronades, but just all long guns. The long guns on the spar decks where replaced with carronade later on. So I am making her armament like it was when it was first built. (That is also why her headrails are not like the current Constitutions headrails, and her stern has a bit more ornate look. The headrails and stern design changed later in her career.)

I am glad to see that you are making the original design of the ship and its armament. :thumbup:

I like the way your figurehead looks. IMO, I would use a brown or gray/blay for the hands and face though.

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have updated the President. I have been busy with other things and have not had the time to work on it. I have started to add her sails! I have many more to sails make and tons more running rigging to add, but here is how the ship looks now. Oh and Sang Royale is alive and well.

2president.jpg

1president.jpg

She should be finished soon and I will give her a proper Post.

Admiral Bejaune

Great to see her under full sails :pir-classic: And Sang Royale is still there and alive :pir-wub:

Great update, i would like to see more close up shots about the deck, mast, ridding etc. Great job overall.

Captain Becker

Looks great with those sails! And it's good to see that you're still building on your ships.

I like the sails of the president more than the ones of the Sang Royale, with more vertical lines (and a few horizontal ones).

Good job, I can't wait to see the final result!

The President looks simply amazing. I has a perfect line and I just love the simple white/black color scheme. The angled side window of the cabin looks also great, so do the black and white masts. If I'm correct this will be the first US frigate made with LEGO on standard hull pieces that is worthy of the name "brickshipmodel". This belongs in the gallery of the very best brickshipmodels ever constructed (and that's not a very long list!).

I'm looking forward seeing many more pictures and close-ups once you have finished this beauty. For sure this deserves a new thread (and frontpage post) when that time has come!

Looks great with those sails! And it's good to see that you're still building on your ships.

I like the sails of the president more than the ones of the Sang Royale, with more vertical lines (and a few horizontal ones).

Good job, I can't wait to see the final result!

Im glad you like my sails. I have looked at a few sail plans and your wonderful frigate and her sails as a guildline for my sails on the President. So thank you for that. I plan on rebuilding Sang Royale and redoing her rigging and update her sails in the near future (not a complete rebuild just some details, but a complete rerigging).

The President looks simply amazing. I has a perfect line and I just love the simple white/black color scheme. The angled side window of the cabin looks also great, so do the black and white masts. If I'm correct this will be the first US frigate made with LEGO on standard hull pieces that is worthy of the name "brickshipmodel". This belongs in the gallery of the very best brickshipmodels ever constructed (and that's not a very long list!).

I'm looking forward seeing many more pictures and close-ups once you have finished this beauty. For sure this deserves a new thread (and frontpage post) when that time has come!

Thank you for that great feedback. I am happy to read that a builder such as yourself finds my ship Brickshipmodel worthy! And I will have many detail shots of this model when she is complete. So keep a eye out for it.

Thanks again for all the comments and feedback

-Admiral Bejaune

This is turning into a real beauty, the sails, rigging and line look great! :thumbup:

Hope I am allowed to make a few remarks:

-The window of the gallery looks a bit too much angled, it might look better if it were a bit more straight.

-I'm missing a 3d headrail and the vertical supports on it.

-Some of the rigging looks somewhat loose, but I guess you will fix that?

Can't wait to see her under full sail!

-The window of the gallery looks a bit too much angled, it might look better if it were a bit more straight.

Oh yes, it is maby a bit too angeled, but at me it fits on the ship quite good. I have always been wondering how you guys make those angeled windows :pir-tongue: Anyway, i think at the window could be a bit more straight indeed.

Captain Becker

@Greenhair: The loose rigging will be tightened once the yards are in place with the sails on them. If they were as tight as they should be I couldn't get the yard arms on, so I'll tighten them once they are, and I'll play around with the stern.

Thanks!

Admiral Bejaune

She is becoming a beauty Mister Béjaune. Lovely sight so from the distance. :pir-cry_happy:

The sails are a nice eye catcher already, and it will be even better is she's fully rigged.

Captain Greenhair already provided feedback on the ship from this angle, I do not really have something to add.

But I would die for some close up shots! :pir-sweet:

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have posted progress on the Uss President. Ive had a busy past few months. She is near completion... Only a few more rigging strings and a few details to the deck and she is all finished. Here are a few teaser photos to hold you over.

ussp1.jpg

ussp2.jpg

ussp3.jpg

Ill give her a proper thread when 100 percent complete.

-Admiral Bejuane.

Edited by Admiral Bejaune

Awesome! The sails have a nice colour and especially the last shot looks extremely realistic :thumbup:

I was only wondering, is the pennant in the right colours?

Anyway, I can't wait to see the final result (which deserves a new thread IMO :pir-classic: ).

Wow. She's a real beauty... The sails look really great! Can't wait to see more of her! The Stern looks simple with the ornaments but really great! Hope to see more closeups,soon!

Wow, this is one of my favorite ships I've ever seen. I love the sails, and can't wait for the details. I just started a ship with a similar color scheme, and will definitely be using your great ship as inspiration.

Great job :thumbup:

An amazing vessel, you have outdone yourself Admiral! Especially those sails, just plain excellent! I can't wait for the final thread, with some detailed pictures! :pir-wub:

Soon another beauty will sail the seas! :thumbup:

She's looking good allright, sails and rigging are very nice, I suppose those are worth the effort :S

Keep it up.

This looks seriously good! As others have said, the sails look great as all the other details. Nice work on the rigging, I'm currently rigging my two ships and it's a pain! Great pics of the ship with some good old 'tallica in the background! I look forward to seeing her completed.

Almost time for an update Admiral? :pir-classic:

Agreed, it would be nice to see one!

:pir-classic:

How is this project progressing dear Admiral? I'd be most interested to see an update.

How is this project progressing dear Admiral? I'd be most interested to see an update.

She has been complete for a while now... She was at Brickfair 2012 along with Sang Royale... I just have not the time right now to take proper photos of her. I can, however take lower quality photos with no backdrop to hold everybody over while I set up for better ones... The bump of this thread has inspired me to give her a proper thread... Ill be working on that to post this week. Here are a few photos (not mine) from Brickfair and with me behind my ships... To see more flickr search "Brickfair AL".

Best photo I found of the President from Brickfair! CLICK HERE!

brickfair3.jpg

brickfair.jpg

brickfair2.jpg

Edited by Admiral Bejaune

glad you appreciated the photos I took. I was told you are the best ship builder

Thanks for taking the great photos at brickfair. Hope you dont mind that I used them. Welcome to eurobricks!