1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

Yes, my favorite set ever.

title.jpg

Click here for large size, title free version (1.6 mb)

Set#: 6980

Name: Galaxy Commander

Theme: Space

Year: 1983

Pieces: 443

Minifigs: Classic Space Red, 2 x Classic Space White, 2 x Classic Space Yellow

Price: You'll have to ask my mum.

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

The Box

Thanks to Eurobricks pack-rat avid collector Rufus for his pics of the box in question. Mine didn't make it past New Years 1984.

The front is much the same as what's on the instruction booklet.

galaxy_commander_-_31.jpg

The back has a nice range of alternate builds to inspire you with. Though the double cockpit of the main build is a bit of overkill, you can see in these pics how it multiplies the play possibilities.

galaxy_commander_-_32.jpg

The inside box lid highlights the ship's features, one more alternate build, and the 1970's fashion crimes still abundant in the early 1980's

galaxy_commander_-_30.jpg

The booklets

The booklet is tall, and goes straight to business. Not even a full front page, it goes into building a little vehicle. Not as slick as what we're used to today, but classy in its own way.

galaxy_commander_-_01.jpg

Much like today, there is a page which shows releases from around the same time. I also had the missile launcher in the back at the right. Loved it too.

galaxy_commander_-_02.jpg

The Pieces

A majority of the pieces are blue and white. Everyone will have their preferences as to what good classic Space colors are, but at the time, after years of blue and grey, the introduction of white hit like lightning. I loved the new color.

galaxy_commander_-_03.jpg

Some typical early space pieces. The jet, the metal detector, and the walkie talkie. Oh, to be in the future.

galaxy_commander_-_04.jpg

The familiar gun and jets done up in white.

galaxy_commander_-_05.jpg

The transparent pieces were also a blessing. They weren't unheard of at the time but this set had loads.

galaxy_commander_-_06.jpg

Much like the white pieces, the yellow spacemen shocked me. Red and white were spacemen, and my eight year old mind was flabbergasted that... yellow... spacemen... can exist! I had a simple imagination. Luckily, most of these guys are still in pretty good condition.

galaxy_commander_-_07.jpg

Even with jet packs! Or oxygen tanks. Not sure.

galaxy_commander_-_08.jpg

And a landing strip for the Galaxy Commander. Not super useful, but always involved in play.

galaxy_commander_-_29.jpg

The Finished Product

First we have these two little vehicles. Early 80's Lego was big on these flat pieces with wheels as vehicles. I have a fire man's car that isn't dissimilar. Minor greebling on them.

galaxy_commander_-_09.jpg

galaxy_commander_-_10.jpg

Apparently they are made for the whities.

galaxy_commander_-_11.jpg

The main build has three parts. The front piece is the star. Four turrets, two cockpits, lots of lights. Extra points for the bottom half of the cockpit being transparent blue.

galaxy_commander_-_12.jpg

More angular than anything that would come out today, but space has no atmosphere, so aerodynamics are fairly irrelevant. (Which is why the Borg's cube could go so fast :wink: )

galaxy_commander_-_14.jpg

The yellows fly the ship. Both have their own steering wheel. Not efficient, but there were no AFOLs at the time to nitpick.

galaxy_commander_-_13.jpg

The jets are tucked into the back, and we can see the dock for the hitch in back.

galaxy_commander_-_15.jpg

On the underside, there are a few black stands to keep it balanced, though those can be removed when it's all assembled. Nearly twenty years later, those same pieces would be used for Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator.

galaxy_commander_-_16.jpg

Next is the space-trailer. It's a simple, functional part, but I love the long blue legs on it, reminiscent of those used in the NASA space program.

galaxy_commander_-_17.jpg

Last is the research station. It's a little bizarre, with jets on the bottom. I'm assuming it's not meant to be steered.

galaxy_commander_-_18.jpg

The hatch opens to reveal the station, with two control decks!

galaxy_commander_-_19.jpg

Red goes in here, and he's happy to be there, as we can see. He's hung his tank on the side.

galaxy_commander_-_20.jpg

It closes, ready to attach, as the transmitter tucks down to avoid the friction of space... wait... (piece missing in the pic, upper right, sorry)

galaxy_commander_-_21.jpg

It enters the trailer. A latch on the trailer fits into a notch on the lab.

galaxy_commander_-_22.jpg

And hinged pieces on the back lock it in place. 2x1 white pieces can be used to secure it on top.

galaxy_commander_-_23.jpg

In turn, a latch opens on the main ship, where the trailer can lock in.

galaxy_commander_-_24.jpg

And so we have this delightful beast of a ship.

galaxy_commander_-_25.jpg

The overhead view shows a bizarre silhouette.

galaxy_commander_-_28.jpg

The ship is strange and intriguing. Unwieldy, but manageable with two hands.

galaxy_commander_-_26.jpg

The Final Verdict

Design: 10/10 This is not trying to be real. This is trying to be fun. And it succeeds. It's three part system intrigued me endlessly as a kid, and I tried to replicate it a lot. In all ways successful.

Build: 8/10 For the most part average, but illuminating in the locking mechanism, which nudges it up a bit.

Playability: 10/10 That's all it is. Lots of figures, a variety of functions, a platform for them to land on, accessories...

Minifigures: 6/10 A good number, but all are basically the same.

Overall: 9/10 This is a great set that still makes me happy to look at it. Maybe it's through a nostalgic veil that I look, but I think any Lego lover would be somewhat delighted to get their hands on this cleverly made, truly fun creation.

I've mentioned that this set doesn't seem realistic, and that's what I like about it. It is imaginary fun. I wonder if it's my age that doesn't allow me to enjoy Power Minors whatsoever, but a series like that probably inspires similar delights in its fans. It doesn't have to make sense to be fun. It just has to trigger the imagination. The Galaxy Commander was for years the king of my toy collection, and has now reclaimed its place at the top of my Lego.

Another wonderful review of a truly epic set!

I simply love the designs of these old ships. I personally think they look fantastic (loads of studded goodness - yummy) and the amount of playability they offered was superb. Lots of figs, mini vehicles, wings, lights, lasers, greebles, computer stations ... the list just keeps going! :wub:

Always wanted this one. I haven't found a good deal on ebay so far though.

I like this model better than the Galaxy Explorer. It was ahead of its time in terms of the details and color scheme, and looks surprisingly modern for a 1983 release. :thumbup: The design of the lab section actually seems to have inspired the rear section in the newer Galactic Enforcer. They have some obvious similarities.

A fantastic review, def, of undoubtedly one of the best sets ever. Not quite my favourite, but it's up there with the classics, and as the replacement for 928/497 Lego really hit the mark.

Your title picture is amazing. :thumbup:

I found you can hold it in one hand around the front of the middle section - it balances quite nicely there. I seem to remember a scary moment when, carrying this round to my friend's house, I tried to hold it by the front section - ended up picking up pieces from the pavement for hours!

Mine is now a little the worse for wear, lightly chewed, and some of the old-mould 1x1 ring pieces which hold the blue aerials have broken. Alas my blue radar dish is long gone.

I've taken some shots of the box - will edit them and let you have them when I'm done. :classic:

Great review. I always liked the playability, connecting and disconnecting modules while making whirring noises myself. It's great that the front part was a more agile craft too, and the lab that could be left as makeshift base on a faraway couch. It's an epic set.

Great review!

I had doubts about which was my favourite Classic Space set, after this review I made my mind, this one!

It is amazing!

I am in the process of collection all the Classic Space sets.

I have the Galaxy Explorer and this one back at my home, but I have a lot in my temporally home at London

Here is a picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35423981@N06/4373015441/

Niiiiice! This set has so many cool components, and the random baseplate is an awesome addition :tongue::thumbup:

This is one of my all-time-favourites! :wub:

I remember when I got that from my parents at Christmas.

What a lucky guy I was.

And how stupid to sell it in my Dark Ages. :sadnew:

But I got it back two years ago.

No doubt: OUTSTANDING! is the only possible vote.

Awesome pics, this is such a classic. I love the old dual cockpit style space ships, so unnessesary but fun. :laugh:

Wow. Beautiful set. I was two years old :cry_sad: I've never seen this set before (I'm only vaguely familiar with the single-minifig-face age) but it's absolutely gorgeous. And you've kept it in great shape. I really like the photo of all the sets in the instruction booklet, it somehow feels far more like Lego than any more recent such photo does.

Your title picture is amazing. :thumbup:

Thanks :wink: Your title pics have been really good, so I decided I had to step up my game :grin:

Ahhh! :cry_happy:

The Galaxy Commander was the very first significantly big Lego set I was exposed to when I was 8 or 9 in 1984, but was never bought for me due to my changing toy priorities being Transformers, which became the main focus of my playtime. However since 2 years ago it has been my top bricklink catch in addition to my favorite set of all. :wub:

I have to say for a 27 year old set the 6980 still matches up well to the best Space Police 3 has to offer, and obviously the Galactic Enforcer developers took some design elements from it. :wink:

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

This was one of the sets I allways but never got. By the time they made the white space vehicles I shifted to City. But I know I kept on checking the catalogues for the space sets. :laugh:

It's a wonderful ship! When I was a kid I couldn't understand how that little blue two stud in the lock mechanism could hold the ship together when you fly with it.

And I still don't get it.. :tongue:

Edited by Ferdik

Hello!

A fantastic review for a fantastic starship. :classic: I was always impressed about the high number fo guns for this "capital" classic space ship. The review shows all of the great features of the set. Command base module, big crew, detachable front section, etc. Thanks for bringing this back to our minds. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

A really wonderful lego set! I still have two copy of that but my white pieces are no more that white :( !

how can yours be so clean after all the years passed by?

Thanks for the nostalgia! I clearly remember this set. I am not sure if I owned it or my next door neighbour, but she was a beauty then and still stands up to sets of today! What a great detachable base and of course the needless double cockpit.

Thanks for reviewing this classic space set!

Ooh, so pretty. It would not take much to update this set to fit in with the Space Police 3 sets. Blue windows already. And such nice space men too. Thanks for sharing. A blast from the past.

A blast from the past.

Very well said! :laugh:

Who were the two rating this set "poor"?

Reveal yourself if you dare! :devil:

Who were the two rating this set "poor"?

Reveal yourself if you dare! :devil:

I'm pretty sure it's someone trolling the topic, annoyed with the uniform high marks. :tongue: Average? Maybe. Below average? Possibly. Poor? That requires some explaining.

Great review for a great set! I never owned this one, but got to play with my neighbour's when I was kid. It's a great design all over, although the move from grey to white for the Space theme is not one I am fully happy about. But back then I was thrilled with the new colours and the size of the ship. Thanks for the memories!

Nice review, nice set. Nice to see so nice pieces shinning :classic:

Though i do not have nostalgia from these sets, i recognise this spaceship the best from classic space. I prefer the space ones. For me, i would say 6973 DFD is the best spaceship ever, apart from biggest sw sets... which obviously wouldnt play fair.

However as I said initially, great review, great set, great ship :tongue:

Thanks for bringing up these oldie ones :wink:

Great Review def! :thumbup:

This is one cool set! I love the little ships, they look Great, then they all fit together! :oh::wub:

The parts and colours are nice, the design and the shape of the ship are also nice.

Thanks for the great review!

CommanderFox