Derfel Cadarn

The Secret Of Castle Rock Cove!

A lone arch and some crumbling walls are all that remain of an old castle. A retired sailor lives by the ruins perched above a dangerous cove. A peacfull life it would seem? But he knows strange and sinister things are going on beneath the cliffs. Hes seen the strange lights and pirates in the cove down below him. They come and go often, but what are they using the cove for? If only he knew what they were hiding in the dark caves!

This is an idea ive had for a while, and i was originally going to just have a big ruined castle with a secret passage way down into the cave below. But i realised while building, that to do it propperly i would need a much bigger cave and the model would have to be twice the size. So i changed it to what you now see. Allthough i do plan to build the large original idea in the near future.

Enjoy :pir-classic:

4381917998_39365825aa.jpg

4381159771_26ca312802.jpg

4381158459_a0a48feacb.jpg

4381914186_f99375ddd1.jpg

4381898522_d4fe96b8a6.jpg

4381140311_22f811307c.jpg

For more and larger versions of the pictures, visit my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45244184@N04/

Edited by Derfel Cardarn

Wow, amazing stuff here. :thumbup:

I like the way you built to ruins, but have to get used to the same round plates as walls for the house.''

Is there a passageway from the cave to the house or castle?

Wow amazing detail! an excellent cave, the skulls at the back are quite clever, and the rocks came out perfect! and now I just HAVE to ask, is there a rock building tutorial somewhere I could use? my cliffs end up looking like wall extensions :pir-grin:

:pir-cry_happy: These gigantic dios are great- cave is excellent addition- so piratey -but there is one problem- all are similar looking- because of those rocks- they are great- but i would like to see flatter island for a while- like the sandy beaches of Bahamas (like in the works of Howard Pyle) or something similar- however i know that building giant rocks is more funny than flat beaches :pir-sceptic:

Ooh, the back is great. What a fun surprise, since the backs tend to be not only blank, but also built out of many colors. Excellent.

The details on top are excellent as well. I have seen a bit of the style of using round 1x1s to make buildings look rocky. I think it looks really good in the crumbling castle, and even better in the cottage. The use of some round and some square pieces really give an interesting look. The roof is really well done with SNOT plates and it looks like some of the boards had to be replaced.

The rock cliff is top notch. The rocks are great, as they blend into the jungle/heavily planted area up-top. Very well done.

:pir-wub:

Just stunning!

It's safe to say you have become one of the best LEGO Pirate builders around.

The details you include in your work are overwhelming.

Great cave Derfel Cardarn, you've been spoiling us with all of these great MOCs lately and I love it :pir-wub:

Thankyou for all your great comments, I have been busy with pirate mocs this last month for the JRC. Only 1 more and my community build and then I have some castle mocs to work on. But I have some new pirate ideas that i'll start after that.

Wow, amazing stuff here. :thumbup:

I like the way you built to ruins, but have to get used to the same round plates as walls for the house.''

Is there a passageway from the cave to the house or castle?

No, i abandoned the passageway as I'd like to do it on a larger scale in a later moc.

Wow amazing detail! an excellent cave, the skulls at the back are quite clever, and the rocks came out perfect! and now I just HAVE to ask, is there a rock building tutorial somewhere I could use? my cliffs end up looking like wall extensions :pir-grin:

I might make a basic tutorial for rock/cliff building as it seems quite a few people have trouble with it. In the meantime it might help you to take a look at real life pictures of coastlines to get some ideas.

:pir-cry_happy: These gigantic dios are great- cave is excellent addition- so piratey -but there is one problem- all are similar looking- because of those rocks- they are great- but i would like to see flatter island for a while- like the sandy beaches of Bahamas (like in the works of Howard Pyle) or something similar- however i know that building giant rocks is more funny than flat beaches :pir-sceptic:

Yes, they do look similar, but that is the modular style ive been working with, so they can make a coastline. I have tryed to not make them as often now, as the last one was back last year. There is so many formations and ideas that you can do with the cliffsides. I plan to make the rock work on future mocs much more interesting with lots more caves, coves, rock pools and other hidden things. I have got some flatter mocs that i plan to work on, but like you say, making rugged cliffs and caves is a lot more fun.

Man this is so awesome again!

Great that you can see inside the cave on the back of the MOC, and all the details are just stunning!

blogged.png

Thanks fors the blog!

:pir-wub:

Just stunning!

It's safe to say you have become one of the best LEGO Pirate builders around.

The details you include in your work are overwhelming.

Thankyou, always great coming from a ship moc master such as yourself :pir-classic:

Wow!

Impressive!

So many cool things in this MOC it's hard to name just a few...but to keep it short:

I love the vegetation!! It looks very dense and tropical-like!

I also like the ruins on the right side! I think not too many MOCs go for the "ruins" look, but it's something I definitely like too see!

And the rocks...I see Swash Buckler's point about cliffs/rock formation being a little overused around here, but I have too say you've done a pretty good job at adding variety to this style. I don't mean just the cave. I also like the big pointy rock protruding from the sea a little in front of the cliff and the fact that the cliff is not too symmetrical, with that part extending out on the right side. It looks very realistic!

A question for you Derfel:

Do you reuse parts from old MOCs to build new ones or do you have all of them next to each other?

If the latter is the case, you should have quite an amazing island going on by now!

Nice work buddy, great to see you signing off for a short break with such a beauty. The ruins are fantastic as is the small house. I love the roof and facade look suitably ramshackle. The cliff detailing is up to your usual top standards and looks particularly rugged. The internal pirate cave is just the icing on the cake and is loaded up with plenty of great booty.

Good stuff. :pir-blush:

Another great MOC Derfel! Again your landscaping is great, but I really like how you put the 1x1 rounds under the plants, it really accents them. Then the hideout is also great, keep it up! :pir-classic:

Maybe the pirate used rocks from the ruins to build his house :pir-sweet:

Brilliant work as usual Luke!!!!

What a super cool unexpected surprise on the back. I love to see a MOC that looks good from every angle. And this one does not disappoint.

I love the ruins... *must buy more studs*

I have no words of this... awesome creation, man i would want a cave like that :pir_laugh2: and i actually love the whole MOC SO much at my words just wont come out of my mouth :pir-tongue:

Godless work man, keep it up

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

The rockwork, the pathway, the roof, that incredible arch, the cave, the sea, the rockwork on the wall!!

I seriously am just dumbfounded by your MOC's, they are just so stunning, you must have like an ELitist bricklink account, or a ton of pirate sets.

I am in awe.

Thats incredible Derfel Cardarn! :pir-wub:

The front beach and the house at the top are great, but the cave is the best. :pir-wub:

Great job with this Huge MOC! Truly amazing!

CommanderFox

Another amazing creation! I don't see how you have the time to build so many amazing mocs. The cave is my favorite part in this creation. I always like the pirate cave scenes. The wild, unkept vegetation detailing is another trademark of yours as well as the use of 1 x 1 round pieces. Very nice work! :thumbup:

-Admiral Bejaune