Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

What do you think is the ideal size of vignettes?

What do you think is the ideal size of vignettes?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite

• 3x3 (Super micro)
    • 4x4 (Micro)
    • 6x6 (Small standard)
    • 8x8 (Standard)
    • 8x16 (Double vig)
    • 10x10 (Large)
    • 12x12 (Super vig)
    • 16x16 (Bignette)
  2. 2. Second favourite

• 3x3 (Super micro)
    • 4x4 (Micro)
    • 6x6 (Small standard)
    • 8x8 (Standard)
    • 8x16 (Double vig)
    • 10x10 (Large)
    • 12x12 (Super vig)
    • 16x16 (Bignette)
    • None

This topic always comes up, so to get in first...

What do you think is the ideal size of vignettes? As is said on LUGNET 8x8 is the standard, but it certainly isn't the only size.

Remember; your selection could shape future contests, perhaps even current ones, so vote now! (The descriptions for each size are from LUGNET, and while I like them, they are just names and are by no means "official".)

Got in quick this time. :laugh:

I'm going for the, as I have now learned, standard 8x8. You've got room to fit four minifigs and still can detail it enough. Second best 10x10, any larger would come is a model to me.

The standard, to me, is the only true vignette when it's just called a vignette. Enough room to make a point without the distraction of a lot of unnecessary detail. It isn't a moc as much as a snapshot, a moment in time.

For a second choice, I like the bignette. Big a spacious, it could hold anything from a nice natural scene to an entire building while still having the space to satisfy the '(v)ignette' part of it's purpose.

The standard, to me, is the only true vignette when it's just called a vignette.

For a second choice, I like the bignette.

Agreed, it's all about multiples of 8 :wink:

For me personally it only really has to be a square. When you get 8x16 it could turn into more of a diorama rather than a vignette. 8x8 is a pretty good size imo, not too big but not too small that it doesnt get the message of the vignette across. My second choice though was 16x16 just because its double of 8x8 and still a sqaure.

Its an interesting topic Siegfried

8x8 is best, 10x10 is secound best. I like 16x16, but I just don't see that as a vig.

8x8 is the best, with 10x10 in second. 16x16 is good too, but it will be more of a scene than a vig.

1. 8x8

2. 8x16

But I am all for doing Vignettes in all 8x8 models like 8x8, 8x16 and 16x16.

I just like those different measurements.

However the all time favorite one is 8x8. I just like to see how much someone is able to fit in such a small area.

I've always been partial to the classic 8x8 size. I feel it is the perfect size to capture emotion and action.

My second choice would be 10x10, for the same reasons as the 8x8, though a little larger.

1 x 1 vignettes all the way! :laugh:

Oh, there isn't a choice for that? Well, I guess that I'll have to choose the standard 8 x 8, then, as my favorite. I think it's the perfect size - it allows for lots of detail, and an easier build at the same time!

My second favorite would have to be 3 x 3 16 x 16. Not sure why, I just like that size more than all the other choices up there. :tongue:

8x8 is what I define as a vignette. Otherwise, it depends on what you want to do. Anything smaller is good for those one-fig or MINI scale scenes with one main focus, and anything bigger is good for a more complicated scene.

BTW, is it official that 16x16 is a bignette? I always though it was a midnette, and 32x32 was a bignette.

I prefer 8x8 too, but I like the added room of 8x16 in some cases.

The results have been exactly what I wanted; clear preference (80%) for 8x8, and no clear preference for an alternative. Thanks to everyone who has voted so far. :sweet:

BTW, is it official that 16x16 is a bignette? I always though it was a midnette, and 32x32 was a bignette.

Sort of. It's not ISO approved or anything, but according to LUGNET Brickshelf user k-hatch made up the term to describe a 16x16 vig.

Got in quick this time. :laugh:

I want something to point at if people say 8x8 is too small. :grin:

I'm going to be awkward and say 9x9 :grin:

I always find myself desperately wanting that slight extension to the 8x8 base, but not wanting a 10x10, which feels to spacious. Trust me, when it comes to building a vig, space is tight; it should appear so, whilst not appearing crowded, hey?

For reference, Vignette Bricks has some excellent (if slightly dated now) essays on various aspects of vigs, in the links on the right.

I'm going to be awkward and say 9x9 :grin:

You're a pain. :tongue:

For reference, Vignette Bricks has some excellent (if slightly dated now) essays on various aspects of vigs, in the links on the right.

I recall there was a great one with a more detailed history, but I can't find it now. :cry_sad: