Sign in to follow this  
Tereglith

MOC - 221b Baker Street

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

In the past couple of months, I've read thirty-five short stories, seventeen pastiches, and one novel about Sherlock Holmes, as well as writing two short stories myself. What could be more natural, then, for my present literary fixation to percolate into an MOC? I give you: The grand room of 221b Baker Street!

4376762151_f6df432cbd_b.jpg

In the books and stories, the grand room of 221b is described as being utterly messy, and I've tried to replicate that here. The process was almost like making greebles for some steampunk engine, but instead of gears and pipes I had to work with furniture and piles of newspaper.

4376762107_db7cbedeee.jpg

4376762119_18ff1aebcf.jpg

The site where Holmes puzzles through many a case while consuming copious amounts of toxic substances. I liked the chair and fireplace from my "Quoth The Raven" MOC so much that I decided to use them again here. We also see the book-case where Holmes keeps his meticulous index of activities in London, as well as books of science and the arts, and a stylish bookend.

4376762121_f3b85764de.jpg

The breakfast table around which countless expositions occured.

4376762123_44bc5ce89a.jpg

The table where Holmes conducts his "chemical investigations", with a vessel full of green solute, an electro-active gold-plated testing dish, and shelves for storing vials of commonly used compounds. There's also a nicely framed map of downtown London.

4376762131_14c2f0dc96.jpg

Through the doorway, we can see a new-fangled electric light on that drawered table, as well as Holmes' favorite weapon, the hunting crop.

4376800621_9331fbaaea.jpg

And, lastly, the hatrack, with Watson's top hat, Holmes' cape, and the infamous deerstalker (not invented by Sidney Paget - it was referred to as a "two-flapped hunting cap" in The Boscombe Valley Mystery)

I hope that you enjoyed viewing this MOC as much as I enjoyed building it. I hope to add to it in the future, adding Holmes' bedroom and the rumble room full of newspapers, and maybe even an exterior. And, of course, actual figures of Holmes and Watson (suggestions would be appreciated). Thanks for looking!

It looks really cramped, especially near the fire place, but the clutter fits the feeling of Holmes. So good work.

You know you don't see very many moc's without figs, adn it's actually refreshing, it's nice to see a room where the fig has obviously left for the day.

I love the detail but it is a little cramped.

Hats off to a great MOC - you've really captured the feel of the room nicely - and to a fellow Conan Doyle fan! :thumbup:

I seem to remember 'turning up the gas' as a plot feature in one of the stories, so I'm not sure they had the new-fangled electric back then, but hey...

It looks really cramped, especially near the fire place, but the clutter fits the feeling of Holmes. So good work.

Thanks! The armchair and couch did end up being a little too close for my liking, but it was either that or lose the wonderful personality that the armchair has.

You know you don't see very many moc's without figs, adn it's actually refreshing, it's nice to see a room where the fig has obviously left for the day.

I love the detail but it is a little cramped.

He did leave an awful lot :laugh: . I left out the figures for a couple of reasons - the room, I feel, shoul have enough character on its own that it doesn't need characters, and also I don't feel that I have a wide enouch selection of figures to do Holmes and Watson justice.

Cramped seems to be a common complaint about my MOCs. I guess it's just my style. My actual room is like that too. I'm the only person who can navigate it without knocking something down or stepping on something sharp.

Hats off to a great MOC - you've really captured the feel of the room nicely - and to a fellow Conan Doyle fan! :thumbup:

I seem to remember 'turning up the gas' as a plot feature in one of the stories, so I'm not sure they had the new-fangled electric back then, but hey...

Thanks! :thumbup:

You're correct about the gas lamps being most common - you'll see one by the doorway. However, Sherlockian canon extends across seventeen chronicled years in Baker Street, so I would guess that near the end of Holmes' career electrics would have been coming into fashion enough to appear in some areas.

I was making this same thing the other day! I decided I wanted to make a brickfilm and I didn't have any ideas for a story so I decided on a Sherlock Holmes story. I got partway through the room and then decided the walls would look good sand green and I didn't have any. This is what I used for Holmes but I couldn't decide on Watson.

4374075262_567a8aa94a.jpg

good luck if you decide to add more, I'd love to see it.

Elementary my dear Watson ! :grin:

AWESOME MOC - detail, detail and even more detail ! :grin:

Fantastic design job 'Tereglith' from the chemistry set to the clock over the fire place to the book case to the hat stand.

But correct me right or wrong - Sherlock Holmes played the violin didn't he and also was sadly hooked on morphine - I was too watch the TV series many years ago.

I'm a conformist! 'Tereglith' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet: