legolooney

NEW EXCLUSIVE: Max Minifigure

They had the keychains at Bluewater for £2.99, in the far left hand corner.

There are 25 available to each store.

That's pretty rare. And... I agree, the leg printing and the hair are pretty neat. The face kinda freaks me out. :oh:

I checked the german Club magazine. Nothing about this special minifig.

But the next issue will be out in march.

Patience.

:sing:

They had the keychains at Bluewater for £2.99, in the far left hand corner.

what? you live in essex? all these months of visiting eurobricks and wondering if was the only AFOL in essex and slyowl has been living in my midst!

i was at bluewater just days ago! i didn;t notice any max keyrings however :( maybe i missed them.

That's pretty rare. And... I agree, the leg printing and the hair are pretty neat. The face kinda freaks me out. :oh:

I don't know how true this is but I read that this is the new standard over the classic smiley face. I don't know if they are taking the old one away or not but this is a new smiley face I heard.

Also for anyone wanting, I can use a sharpie to draw a pocket on your pants or your minifig's pants free of charge! Then you too can be as kool as max. :grin:

BTW: If anyone 1. has one they dont want

2. has a spare one

3. needs money

i will gladly buy on form you! i cant find any on bricklink :(

BTW: If anyone 1. has one they dont want

2. has a spare one

3. needs money

i will gladly buy on form you! i cant find any on bricklink :(

You could just get the key chain version and clip the top. Won't have to ever worry about hair falling off your minifig. :)

Minifig_Max.jpg

Yesterday and Today was the day where you get a free Max KeyChain if you spend at least $35 so I went and bought the new Pirate Cove game along with some other things so I could get it. BUT WAIT! I GOT LUCKY! WOOHOOO! The people at the Lego stores around here know me now and they always like me. They are very nice. I saw the sign for the free Max Minifig when you attend a Lego Club Meeting with your child so I asked about it wanting to sign up. But the sign was from February and the just hadn't taken it down. So I told the guy how me and my niece really wanted to regular max minifig even though the key chain version is nice. He said sorry that I missed it. And then later on after I was done talking to a very nice AFOL woman with her son and husband, about the Lego Podcasts that Captain Zuloo does and mentioning how I made the intro song, the employee at the Lego store went in the back and pulled me aside and said, "here you go" and gave me a left over Max minifig! He had a few left over from the event. I thanked him so much. I was happy especially because my niece likes this figure as much as me. :grin:

Edited by Grimmy

Even though i think someone already mention this i thought i should show that the max figure is cheap quality.

post-9792-1267851767.jpg

But even though its the cheap plastic the minifigure does not have loose arms or loose legs.

Even though i think someone already mention this i thought i should show that the max figure is cheap quality.

What there specifically shows cheap quality?

The arm mark is something we're going to have to get used to, it's likely to end up on all figures in the future and currently only identifies that the arm comes from a recent mould, it doesn't actually have any effect on quality.

The plastic quality issues from the magnet sets appears to have been dealt with fairly well and at this point only ends up a little worse with red torsos, which fortunately this doesn't have.

Other than the arm mark it also does not have the neck print.

Right. The neck print was a mark used by the old machines to identify front from back. With the new machines, it isn't necessary and since it never served any other purpose, it's gone. Yay for technology, it's one less bit of wasted chemicals to produce to pollute up the planet. :wink:

Ultimately, if they can get the colour quality stable, which is an across-the-board problem no matter what factory is doing the producing, they'll please me. The switch to doing their own colour as opposed to buying the coloured pellets is the biggest quality issue TLG has (though I'm not always pleased with some of the newer sprue locations either).

That's one reason I dislike seeing people focus on arm marks and neck printing when the bigger issue still exists. Oddly though, the new Forestwoman has better colouring than the old one, with the arms actually matching the print, where the old one didn't. Go figure. :laugh:

Right. The neck print was a mark used by the old machines to identify front from back. With the new machines, it isn't necessary and since it never served any other purpose, it's gone. Yay for technology, it's one less bit of wasted chemicals to produce to pollute up the planet. :wink:

Ultimately, if they can get the colour quality stable, which is an across-the-board problem no matter what factory is doing the producing, they'll please me. The switch to doing their own colour as opposed to buying the coloured pellets is the biggest quality issue TLG has (though I'm not always pleased with some of the newer sprue locations either).

That's one reason I dislike seeing people focus on arm marks and neck printing when the bigger issue still exists. Oddly though, the new Forestwoman has better colouring than the old one, with the arms actually matching the print, where the old one didn't. Go figure. :laugh:

Bravo. Can we just sticky this and end all of this nonsense?

What there specifically shows cheap quality?

The arm mark is something we're going to have to get used to, it's likely to end up on all figures in the future and currently only identifies that the arm comes from a recent mould, it doesn't actually have any effect on quality.

The plastic quality issues from the magnet sets appears to have been dealt with fairly well and at this point only ends up a little worse with red torsos, which fortunately this doesn't have.

I thought the arm mark indicated that it was a Chinese-produced fig? Considering the limited number of figs produced as a promotional offer, this seems kind of likely, although unfortunate.

I thought the arm mark indicated that it was a Chinese-produced fig? Considering the limited number of figs produced as a promotional offer, this seems kind of likely, although unfortunate.

Why is it unfortunate at this point?

Yes, at one time the Chinese produced figures (primarily Gear figures as opposed to sets) were coming out at a lower quality, but TLG acknowledged that problem and by all indications, things are back to normal. Continuing to automatically equate what you assume is Chinese made with lower quality only truly diminishes the product in your own mind. Pointing out a legitimate problem would be a different situation, but as it stands, no one has done that, they've just fallen back on the "OMG! ARM MARK! CHINESE!" nonsense. :hmpf:

The colour/translucency problems predate the Chinese factory, so pinning that on them is silly. The arm and neck changes are just a product of the times and I can guarantee that as each factory is brought up to date and moulds are replaced, you won't be able to tell where anything is made anymore. These just happen to be made from those new moulds. If you want to gripe about moulds, start a topic about sprue marks in weird places and I'll join right in.

At some point, people need to get over the hysteria and simply look at each product individually as it comes out. It would be like saying that a particular auto maker put out a bad car in the past, therefore all of their cars are bad.

It's silly and it doesn't serve any purpose, so in the future, I might start closing topics that get detoured in this way, or simply removing members who can't seem to move on and stick to the subject at hand which is not idle speculation about a quality problem that appears to have been resolved.

When someone can post an up-to-date fair comparison of something and indicate the problem, then that's the place for such talk. Until then, this isn't.

Now that's an interesting piece of trivia. I never knew they needed the printing on the front to identify the orientation of the part. I always assumed it was to create some, but not too much friction with the head, and never questioned that assumption.

A minifig neck without a neck print is actually more aesthetic than a neck with one of those prints, not to mention that the print rubs off and colors the inside of your minifig heads black. :grin: Ironic that people are actually associating it with an inferior product. Seems like every other topic on EB turns either into an ABS quality or an international pricing differences discussion.

Edited by Rick

Seems like every other topic on EB turns either into an ABS quality or an international pricing differences discussion.

Ya know, I mostly just lurk here, but I've noticed exactly that. I pretty much just ignore those discussions 'cause I really don't care. I'm gonna like what I like, I really don't care about the difference in quality. Besides, it's LEGO, what may be considered lower quality is still high quality LEGO product in my opinion.

Anyway, regarding Max, I've got one of the key chains, will have a review up shortly (similar to my fairy key chain review).

As I mentioned earlier I have both the minifig and key chain versions. They sat in front of my desk for a week and thought they were very good quality. The blue arms are a nice deep blue that shines, it literally has nice shiny spots of light bouncy off it just look at my earlier picture. The baby blue color reminds me of the color of one of the houses in the Market Village set. It's a very nice baby blue color. I don't see one imperfection on the figure.

I think the earlier concern of some is just due to the mark and identifying it as made in china thereby reminding us of the magnet minifig packs that had lower quality. Such as the pirates with the dark red color.

I don't see anything wrong with the figure. So imo you can rest a little bit as it seems at least in this instance that this figure is of great quality! :grin:

Edited by Grimmy

Good to know about the manufacturing misconceptions!

Hm I wonder if my local Lego store has any Max figs or keychains left?? :tongue:

Why is it unfortunate at this point?

I said it's unfortunate because I'm generally opposed to LEGO moving more of its production into China. It's just my personal opinion, I didn't say you have to agree with me. I think that if LEGO owns the factories where its main elements (bricks and minifigs) are produced, then it can keep a shorter leash on quality control and care of employees. One of the things I like about European LEGO operations at least, is the Scandinavian corporate social and environmental responsibility that is evident in everything they do, and I believe that entrusting 3rd party factories to manufacture their core products, in China of all places, is a backwards step, especially considering LEGO's skyrocketing profit at the moment.

Now don't get me wrong, I realise LEGO has improved the quality of what goes on there dramatically, and I'm happy with the various Chinese-made bits and bobs that have been put in my LEGO sets as of late. My MMV cows, tauntaun and Mola Ram headgear are of the quality I expect from LEGO, and I realise that Chinese production is necessary for the way the company works. My main disappointment is that the figs themselves and System elements from the new Collectible Minifigs are being made there.

It's silly and it doesn't serve any purpose, so in the future, I might start closing topics that get detoured in this way, or simply removing members who can't seem to move on and stick to the subject at hand which is not idle speculation about a quality problem that appears to have been resolved.

Shadows, lighten up mate. If so many people are voicing concerns about how LEGO operates, it deserves to be discussed without threats of banning or closing topics. Friendly discussion will lead to people becoming more open-minded about the issue; censorship will just make you look like a Nazi. Just because you're a moderator, it doesn't mean everyone MUST agree with your views.

Now don't get me wrong, I realise LEGO has improved the quality of what goes on there dramatically, and I'm happy with the various Chinese-made bits and bobs that have been put in my LEGO sets as of late. My MMV cows, tauntaun and Mola Ram headgear are of the quality I expect from LEGO, and I realise that Chinese production is necessary for the way the company works. My main disappointment is that the figs themselves and System elements from the new Collectible Minifigs are being made there.

Quality up. Understand it's necessary. Disappointed.

Yeah, one of these things doesn't match up well, but whatever, anyone can dislike anything for any or no reason at all.

Shadows, lighten up mate. If so many people are voicing concerns about how LEGO operates, it deserves to be discussed without threats of banning or closing topics.

That's the problem, they aren't voicing actual concerns anymore, they're repeating a phrase they've heard and applying it to something they aren't even seeing first hand. You say that you're happy with the quality of the parts lately, but you're still disappointed. So be disappointed, don't buy the figure or the set or whatever, but it's not the point of the topic and whether or not you agree, it's our responsibility to keep things from going off topic. Does that make me look like a Nazi? Let's see, Eurobricks isn't a country. The forum isn't a public utility but a private service provided through the generousity of it's owner. The privileges enjoyed by the members come with a responsibility that the staff is asked to oversee. While no one has to agree with my view, there comes a point when the same comments are being repeated in every possible topic and sometimes in places that aren't even related to the point of taking away from the intended conversation and that is when we step in to bring things back on track. Read back a few posts and you'll see that I'm not alone in recognising this problem.

I didn't know that. :blush: I always thought it was to help stiffen up the head; I recall as a kid my heads kept falling off when the figs got old.

Shadows, lighten up mate. If so many people are voicing concerns about how LEGO operates, it deserves to be discussed without threats of banning or closing topics. Friendly discussion will lead to people becoming more open-minded about the issue; censorship will just make you look like a Nazi. Just because you're a moderator, it doesn't mean everyone MUST agree with your views.

Discuss it elsewhere. We already have a topic where people can complain about the newer and sometimes inferior figs. There's no need to turn each topic into a complaint about a dead issue.

Just to be clear, I support Shadows here 100%.

Alright, I agree with what you're (Sieggy and Shadows) saying about discussing off topic stuff in another thread.

I'm sorry for calling you (Shadows) a Nazi, that was uncalled for. I apologise if I came off as offensive.

Quality up. Understand it's necessary. Disappointed.

Yeah, one of these things doesn't match up well, but whatever, anyone can dislike anything for any or no reason at all.

If you had read all of what I said then you would understand what I'm trying to say. Please don't use sarcasm to make me look like an idiot when I'm making a valid point, even if it is slightly off topic.

Alright, I agree with what you're (Sieggy and Shadows) saying about discussing off topic stuff in another thread.

:thumbup:

I'm sorry for calling you (Shadows) a Nazi, that was uncalled for. I apologise if I came off as offensive.

Heat of the moment, not a problem.

Please don't use sarcasm to make me look like an idiot when I'm making a valid point, even if it is slightly off topic.

Fair enough, I didn't really mean to do that, so I will also apologize.

To be clear to everyone, it isn't that we don't take the problems seriously, even if I do think they have been mostly resolved in newly produced products. I do agree that things made previously may still be appearing on the market with issues.

It isn't that you can't discuss it by any means. I'm sure that without public input, things probably wouldn't be improving as much as they are, it's just that we don't want it dragging every topic in the same direction. I worry that using the same complaints (and the misdirected ones like the neck print change) only tells TLG that we're not paying attention or can't be satisfied (or, as I poorly said previously, a bunch of morons :laugh:).

To accommodate the need for discussion of this type, we're looking for a way to consolidate all of it so it's in a more constructive form and not spread out everywhere. I will confess to becoming more and more annoyed with it because of how many topics it happens in where it isn't warranted (ie, a topic where it's asked and answered and no difference is shown, but it keeps being repeated anyway) and may have reacted a bit harshly. Maybe. :wink:

Currently, I would suggest addressing such things here.