EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

I have yet to see part two and three.

Three is better than Two. I would say skip it, but then the plot makes no sense.

Personally, I recently watched my favorite movie The Train. It's black and white WW II film from 1964 starring Burt Lancaster about stealing Parisian art by the Nazi's and the resistance's attempts to stop it. They actually blew up an old rail-yard to film a scene in this movie, along with wreck three steam trains at once in another sequence. A definitely good film. 5 / 5 stars from me and a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes!

Three is better than Two. I would say skip it, but then the plot makes no sense.

I disagree completely. Back to the Future Part II was awesome while III fell short of the first two.

I disagree completely. Back to the Future Part II was awesome while III fell short of the first two.

To be honest, I personally liked them all pretty much equally. I can't pick a favorite or least favorite. :laugh:

SpongeBob Out of the Water - Overall I was impressed by this movie it had a solid plot and the balance between cartoon and live action was good - 8/10.

The last few weeks I paid a visit to the DVD section of my mancave and watched a LOT of movies for the zillionth time:

The Lost Boys (9/10) (one of the best soundtracks ever)

Flash Gordon (9/10)

....and I'm currently into a 90's teen slash mood:

Scream (9/10)

Scream 2 (9/10)

Scream 3 (8/10)

Scream 4 (8/10)

Urban Legend (7/10)

The Faculty (7/10)

Next up is 'I Know What you did last summer' + the sequel.

Limitless- Overall was just okay. Didn't find the main character likeable and the narration was annoying.

Parallels- Enjoyable for what it really is: a pilot episode to a show that never was. Avoid if you dislike unfinished endings.

So I caught up on all Best Picture noms

* Imitation Game: Was really great and shows me Cumberbatch is extremely talented. 5/5

* Theory of Everything: Great performance from Redmayne, probably the best one nominated. 5/5

* American Sniper: It was good...but not best picture worthy, and not as strong as Eastwood's previous films. 4/5

* Boyhood: More of a concept than a movie. Bland cinematography with no plot, but Arquette raises the film from 2 stars, to 3. 3/5

* Whiplash: Really good. JK Simmons was really great. 4.5/5

* Birdman: I thought it was really dull, self indulgent, and a slight rip off of Death of a Salesman, and Walter Mitty. 2/5

* Grand Budapest: Was very funny and entertaining. 4/5

* Selma: Really great and very emotional performance from Oyelwo. 5/5

I do like your reviews, and I pretty much agree with them although I liked Boyhood more

I have just caught up with:

Boyhood

Boy grows up, his life changes a bit here and there, not that much happens. Interestingly the significant plot events often take place off camera. What I really liked was that after 2 hours you think what happened to everyone's life? He's all grown up and gone to college in just 2 hours. Which is what it feels like in real life. So, a good reminder to enjoy your children. People either like this film a lot or don;t like it at all, I think if you have children you are probably going to like it and if you don't, you won't. 9/10

Predestination

Ethan Hawke again, with another mustache. Surely this must be fate. Interestingly paced paradox concept film, great performance from Sarah Snook. 6/10

Interstellar

I don't really know what to make of this, the story is well told and beautifully shot, but I don't know what the point of it was. Optimism? Pessimism? Fate? Curvy landscapes? I saw the big plot twist coming a mile away. Good performance from Matthew McConaughey, and I can totally understand why audiences got nausea from watching the space scenes, which were wonderfully done. 6/10

The Royal Tenebaums

I really don't know what the point of this was. Archetypal Wes Anderson whimsy with a spectacular cast, but they are not used that well. Not particularly charming, witty or nicely made compared to his other films. I kept waiting for it to get good. Limited character development. 3/10

Funny Face

Audrey Hepburn vehicle featuring an entirely unlikely romance with a very much older Fred Astaire while on a travelogue of Paris. Nicely made, entertaining, my son really liked the songs. 7/10.

Theory of Everything

Young Stephen Hawking being very funny and brilliant and then suffering a terrible disease. Deeply moving and it increased my respect for him even more (I went to Cambridge to study mathematics, but changed to something easier). I am not sure how accurate it is, but it's an amazing story. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones were fantastic, David Thewlis seemed to be playing Professor Lupin again. 9/10

Watched Furious 7 last week. I thought it was pretty good, but not as good as the Justin Lin ones. Probably around 7/10 for me.

I also watched the French film Jean De Florette the other day. It was a little slow paced and redundant at the beginning, but the plot was intriguing and the cinematography was beautiful for a film from the 80s. I give it a 9.5/10 and a high recommendation. :thumbup:

I have to say that I didn't care for the glitchy 2015 feel

(by the way, where are my flying cars??? 2015 is coming to an end!!! Argh!)

But apart from them that, II was just as good as the others (or better).

Into The Woods (my son's pick). It wasn't so bad...some catchy songs but most importantly, my boy really enjoyed it :)

Watched Furious 7 last week. I thought it was pretty good, but not as good as the Justin Lin ones. Probably around 7/10 for me.

I also watched the French film Jean De Florette the other day. It was a little slow paced and redundant at the beginning, but the plot was intriguing and the cinematography was beautiful for a film from the 80s. I give it a 9.5/10 and a high recommendation. :thumbup:

I wished they would have stopped at about Furious 5. Used to love it, but the "Rock" really led the shark jumping for this franchise.

Last movie I watched, a youtube hack of the Sam Pickinaw classic, Convoy.......... "Arizona noon........................ New Mexico I-40....................... its a classic :thumbup:

I wished they would have stopped at about Furious 5. Used to love it, but the "Rock" really led the shark jumping for this franchise.

They easily could have stopped after six, seeing as that gives closure to just about all of the storylines. I can get why they made the seventh one, though I'd really prefer if they ended it here. Will they? Not a chance, but I'm satisfied with where it is now.

If they think they can make money on a movie, they will make it. Doesn't matter how well a franchise is wrapped up. No completionist nerds like us running Hollywood, it's all about profit, always has been!

If they think they can make money on a movie, they will make it. Doesn't matter how well a franchise is wrapped up. No completionist nerds like us running Hollywood, it's all about profit, always has been!

And thus is why they keep making PotC movies... :facepalm: You have a few completionists out there; The Dark Knight Trilogy comes to mind, but I get your point.

Especially since Furious 7 is Universals biggest success monetary wise, period.

Edited by K-Nut

You have a few completionists out there; The Dark Knight Trilogy comes to mind

There will always be more Batman movies regardless of that particular story wrapping up!

There will always be more Batman movies regardless of that particular story wrapping up!

True, but we at least got closure to a particular continuity of movies. How often does that happen these days? :laugh:

They easily could have stopped after six, seeing as that gives closure to just about all of the storylines. I can get why they made the seventh one, though I'd really prefer if they ended it here. Will they? Not a chance, but I'm satisfied with where it is now.

Yes, they will. April 14, 2017 to be exact. I really enjoy the franchise. Even though it has gone the way of Hollywood and has became a bit too "flashy"(as in what car stunts they do...a tank...) unlike the first few. It was definitely sad watching this, especially the end. I was surprised to hear there's going to be an 8th.

Yes, they will. April 14, 2017 to be exact. I really enjoy the franchise. Even though it has gone the way of Hollywood and has became a bit too "flashy"(as in what car stunts they do...a tank...) unlike the first few. It was definitely sad watching this, especially the end. I was surprised to hear there's going to be an 8th.

Though they have gotten flashier, I think that's a lot more interesting than the first few; especially the first one trying to pull off a serious drama. I'm interested to see where they go with the eight installment whilst still trying to keep it feeling fresh.

The Aviator. Actually still got a chunk of it left to watch for tonight. Did not know it was going to be almost 3hrs long. I'm enjoying it and think I've found a new next goal in life: Get a pilot's license!

The Departed ~ the last mafia flick Scorsese directed. 'nough said.

Raising Arizona ~ Nick Cage's best film, in my humble opinion.

Benny & Joon ~ a quirky romcom wonderfully executed.

watched in that exact order last night..

all classics in their own right, an enjoyable evening it was.

|Tarfful

Edited by Tarfful