EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Akira. I don't think words can describe just how much of a thing this movie is. If you like science fiction and cyberpunk, you sort of owe it to yourself to watch this movie. It had such a breakneck pace that didn't seem to stop once it started. Heck, even if you don't, the animation is so gorgeous I'd still recommend watching it. Forewarning, this film is really, really violent. There's a brief scene where a woman's top is ripped off, but that's the extent of the nudity. Still, a really great film! :thumbup:

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy with the family on New Years Eve, followed by Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I'd never heard of GotG before this movie, so wasn't a big fan and didn't know what to expect, but it was really good. I almost cried

when Groot shot a limb through the whole line of guys, then smashed them side to side.... over and over and over and over, then turns around and smiles his Groot smile

. I'm glad I ordered a Rocket Raccoon polybag; maybe I'll get a Groot, too.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.... I had just finished playing the 2013 Tomb Raider game, and had to laugh at how much watching the movie was like playing this game... running down the paths in the forest with the skeletal remains, city ruins with vines and stuff growing everywhere, fighting on the corrugated metal rooftops, with the explosions and collapsing and grasping on the ledges at the last moment... The movie was OK. Tomb Raider is fantastic, though.

I went and saw The Imitation Game on New Years Eve. Absolutely wonderful film. The acting, writing, it was all superb. I knew next to nothing about Alan Turing before I saw the film, so the ending really crushed me. :blush:

Just seen Lego the movie. It made me laugh :laugh:

Can't get that song out of my head... Everything is awesome... tututu :grin:

Edited by -zenn

Rewatched Jurassic Park movies again.

I love i love i love part one! It's still so magical! :wub:

Though i wish i could enjoy it as much as i did when i saw it for the first time.

We actually had to take a bus trip, our whole school, to a much bigger city ( about a two hours ride ) because there wasn't any cinema around :laugh:

But "Lost World" is a lot worse, good at some moments, but with a lot of flaws :sceptic:

Part 3 is pretty good actually, i don't understand why is it so criticied and underrated.

Though it's somewhat a very small movie with a very big budget!

There's no real story and philipshy in it, unlike in previous parts.

It's only action, pretty cool action, but nothing beyond and nothing that would keep you enjoying it time after time

Coudl have gotten a much better script

Also having the major character split from his girlfriend ( i don't want to spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet - if such people exist :wink: ) was rather stupid and should be never allowed :sweet:

Edited by Mazin

Why?

Despite some flaws ( well, one can say it has a lot of flaws ) like Jar Jar and knows-how-to-do-everything-kid and some ricidously plastic sequences, it has more magic in and much better photography, editing, characters, acting and direction than part 2 and 3 together :blush:

I went and saw The Imitation Game on New Years Eve. Absolutely wonderful film. The acting, writing, it was all superb. I knew next to nothing about Alan Turing before I saw the film, so the ending really crushed me. :blush:

Same, it was amazing...

Snowpiercer...Ugh, terrible. So many plot holes and things that don't make any sense. It's not exactly a pleasant movie to watch, either. 2 hours of my life I can't have back. I can't see how it was praised so highly by reviewers. A lot of user reviews on various sites seem to agree with me though, lol...Glad I'm not the only one.

Breakheart Pass. Hadn't seen it in years. Great mystery, kept me guessing the whole time.

Prince of Egypt. Ended up showing this in a religious education class I help teach, and must say that I'm very impressed (the soundtrack and cast alone are phenomenal). :thumbup:

Prince of Egypt. Ended up showing this in a religious education class I help teach, and must say that I'm very impressed (the soundtrack and cast alone are phenomenal). :thumbup:

Also one of the very few movies made by DreamWorks that we can consider classics :blush:

Also one of the very few movies made by DreamWorks that we can consider classics :blush:

Agreed. Dreamworks hand drawn films are usually high quality (this and Road to El Dorado are two of my favorite animated films :thumbup:)

Yeah... now i've realised i haven't seen them for way too long, need to rewatch :blush:

though, i wonder why Disney didn't make any traditionial animation since Princess & Frog. It wasn't very good, but rather well received, and they were supposed to release other movies like this every year or two... but it's been 5 years already, P&F premiered in 2009, and they keep doing this computer stuff

Yeah... now i've realised i haven't seen them for way too long, need to rewatch :blush:

though, i wonder why Disney didn't make any traditionial animation since Princess & Frog. It wasn't very good, but rather well received, and they were supposed to release other movies like this every year or two... but it's been 5 years already, P&F premiered in 2009, and they keep doing this computer stuff

Yeah. I feel like Frozen would have been a great film if it were hand drawn, as would Tangled have been. I feel like hand drawn animation has been swept under the rug of CGI, sadly. :sad:

Very true. But it still makes me wonder what stands behind such decision. I mean, it's not that traditional animation is passe, old-styled or something right? Hand drawn classics are still classics, so i cant realy understand why can't they use both ways. They could allow it financialy to run two different teams. It seems that management is behind this. And that its not about art, or money, statistics or anything... just some morons that probably are acting like "we dont need printed books cause we have e-books, lets move with the times"...

Or like with making every 2d movie into damn 3d :laugh:

It's realy absurd.

And can't they see that cgi animations, although enjoyable at the very first time, are usualy also very forgettable?

Eh :sceptic:

I cant remember anything almost anything from all those compuer animated features that i've seen 2, 3, or 5 years ago :laugh:

It's realy absurd.

And can't they see that cgi animations, although enjoyable at the very first time, are usualy also very forgettable?

It's unfortunately cheaper to make animation with CGI than it is to with hand drawn cels. :sceptic: That being said, there's a bunch of great CGI animated films, just not by Disney. Kung Fu Panda, both of them, How To Train Your Dragon, both as well, and let's not forget The Lego Movie, which won the Critic's Choice Award for best animated movie. Disney's starting to get out of their slump and back into the game. Wreck-it Ralph was awesome, and I actually really liked Tangled. I went into it thinking I'd hate it with a passion, but I absolutely loved it! Not going to bring up that one film though that everyone seems to gush over but I think is just okay. :innocent: Pixar's the company I'm worried about, not Disney. Monster's University was okay at best, and Cars 2 was just horrible. It's a shame too, because their track record is amazing, but it seems their latest films have hit the bar. Maybe they just got lucky, which is a shame because Up is my favourite movie, period. :sad:

Anyways, I guess I'll talk about Tokyo Godfathers, because holy cow is it amazing. I'm surprised it's not been dubbed in english yet, since it was released over ten years ago, but if you can find this film subbed, watch it. It's a slice of animated heaven about three homeless people in Tokyo, the three being an alcoholic middle aged man, an older teenage girl, and a transgender woman, who find a baby in the trash on Christmas day and spend the next few days trying to track down the parents. It's not only very heart warming and occasionally sombre, but laugh out loud funny in many spots. It's become one of my favourites ever since I watched it during the holidays, and I can't recommend it enough. It's one of the most entertaining holidays films I've yet to come across. Big thumbs up! :thumbup:

It's unfortunately cheaper to make animation with CGI than it is to with hand drawn cels. :sceptic:

I'm not sure about it. And to tell the truth a lot of traditional animation is done using some cgi as well. But, taking a quick look at those budgets it doesn't seem like if they were more expensive. Treasure Island was quite big, but also lost a lot of money in the box office. But, of course, it might be true, i can't say as i'm not an expert at all.

Than again, they can always cut on some costs. Like for me it's totaly unnecesary to employ all those big names that dont realy promote the animated movie itself. Yet they take big bucks, like Cameron Diaz, for days on the set, when they could use someone less known and cheaper.

Id say that the story and pictire and sound tells what is a hit by itself.

Obviously they need to empolot a lot of artists, always, people are what makes movies to cost that much. But again, its obvious that novadays budget are totaly overesized. Like with live action Bruckheimer stuff. 200 mln for a western. Please...

Than of course comes the quality. Traditional animation was much better. It stays fresh for decades. And to tell the truth they didnt make like a single good quality cartoon show since 90s or 80s. There were few better ones. But, most of it is crap. Nothing comparing to say GIJoe The Movie and the tv series. In the 90s it all went shiny. Too shiny. And with a lot of overdone characters.

Most of the good stuff that came later was good only because of the originality, like Samurai Jack. But if you compare say novadays Scooby Doos and classic Scooby Doos... well there a clear diference.

And theres like dozesn of Batman animated movies on dvds every year, and nonce of them can compare to Batman Animated from the 90s...

Yeah, we were lucky to live in different times as kids :wink:

But, thankfully we still have some reruns. Sadly not as often as years ago. I was shocked to learn that my Disney Channel has no classic shows at all. only some novadays crap and live action series :sceptic:

Edited by Mazin

I'm not sure about it. And to tell the truth a lot of traditional animation is done using some cgi as well. But, taking a quick look at those budgets it doesn't seem like if they were more expensive. Treasure Island was quite big, but also lost a lot of money in the box office. But, of course, it might be true, i can't say as i'm not an expert at all.

Perhaps not. I can't say I'm an expert either, but it's what I heard. :tongue: However, what do adults want to see? There's this stigma with animation that if it's not CGI, it's kids stuff, which is absolutely rubbish since I just recently purchased Akira and that is not a movie I'd show to a ten year old. :laugh: It's partially Shrek's fault, in that since then adults seem to think that if a film's animated with CG, it's going to be aimed at both kids and adults, and it's sort of true that since then there's been a shift to CGI. :sceptic:

Than of course comes the quality. Traditional animation was much better. It stays fresh for decades. And to tell the truth they didnt make like a single good quality cartoon show since 90s or 80s. There were few better ones. But, most of it is crap. Nothing comparing to say GIJoe The Movie and the tv series. In the 90s it all went shiny. Too shiny. And with a lot of overdone characters.

Most of the good stuff that came later was good only because of the originality, like Samurai Jack. But if you compare say novadays Scooby Doos and classic Scooby Doos... well there a clear diference.

And theres like dozesn of Batman animated movies on dvds every year, and nonce of them can compare to Batman Animated from the 90s...

I'll agree with the big name actors who can't voice act. That's a problem. I will disagree with you on traditional animation being "fresh for decades". What about films like Toy Story? Is it not still being watched 20 years after it's initial release and adored by the general public?

And there was garbage during the 80's and 90's, for both film and TV. Quack Pack, Bonkers, the list goes on. I'll add I'm not a 90's kid; I spent most of my youth during the 2000's, so saying "we were lucky to live in different times" is sort of exclusive. The 90's had Batman and Gargoyles and Ducktales. The 2000's had Avatar: the Last Airbender and Kim Possible and Danny Phantom. There were some excellent animated shows during the 2000's, just during the first half of the decade. Maybe it's a generational gap, maybe I'm missing something, but I personally think we're in a better position now when it comes to animation then we were five years ago. We're getting some incredibly good western animated shows, unlike the drivel of Spongebob clones that were constantly airing.

only some novadays crap and live action series :sceptic:

That we can agree on. Live action, unfunny, laugh track including sitcoms involving "wacky teenage hijinx" needs to disappear. Right now. :laugh:

Also, to not wholly derail this: Akira. Saw it, loved it, not a movie for kids, though. :laugh:

Edited by Kintobor