EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Lawless (Bane & Sam Witwicky meet Commissioner Gordon) and Taxi Driver (early Robert DeNiro & very early Jodie Foster)

Not for children.

My family is still away so I am watching superhero movies

X-Men. cool characters and set up. Good start. Good work by Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. Lame nonsensical ending.

X-2 kind of forgettable. Maybe the brain mutant made me forget. Patrick Stewart below par, Kelly Hu very underused. Ian McKellen on form. Lame contrived ending to set us up for:

X-men the last stand. Actually a very interesting storyline and premise, turned into an utterly terrible film. The" Revenge of the Sith" of the X-Men. Famke Janssen somehow levels up 10 grades of X. Hugh Jackman gets everybody killed in a thoroughly unnecessary war where he isn't even on the right side. Wins top prize in a hotly contested field for lame X-men endings. Can't they afford decent writers? Patrick Stewart back in the game and good work from Ellen Page, Vinnie Jones and Halle Berry. Kelsey Grammer cast against type is very good. One good scene where Magneto and Prof X find Jean.

Wolverine quite engaging, especially the first half, then descends into the "Hulk fights Hulkier Hulk" motif. Good directing, solid performance from Liev Schreiber and Lynn Collins is superb. I think the ending kind of invalidates the role of Stryker in X-2.

X-men First Class. Rescued the franchise. Great directing, fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Kevin Bacon, also from Bill Mliner. Wonderful sets, and a proper thought-provoking storyline - which in fairness is kind of the same as the first film, just much much better executed.

Bryan Singer will return to direct the next installment in 2014, which fills me with meh :hmpf_bad: :hmpf_bad: :hmpf_bad: although the cast is off the charts excellent.

Green Lantern - good idea, good effects, almost a good story, pedestrian directing and Ryan Reynolds is just too bland for me. Peter Sarsgaard the stand-out.

And I re-watched Thor, finding the Easter Egg at the end for the first time. Hypothesis: this was a much better story than all the other Marvel films because Kenneth Branagh directed and gave it some deeper themes. Get him back for another one! Chris Hemsworth's take on Thor is either very deep or quite hilariously shallow, but anyway he manages to forget all the messages in this film by the time he makes it to The Avengers.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Watched Iron Man 3last night, good movie overall:

1. YINSEN LIVES. Jk, just a flashback and a nice reference to that Bern thing in the cave from IM1.

2. I really wish sometime during the whole sequence where the Mandarin is just an actor he casually slips on the Ten Rings and just whacks Stark or something. Kind of a letdown for that character.

3. Extremis dudes were way OP; I don't read much Marvel though, so I'm not sure how powerful they are in the comics.

4. Nice Mark Ruffalo cameo, "I'm not that kind of doctor", "don't have the temperament", etc.)

5. RDJ better return.

Iron Man 3! Extremely good, I was vary pleased how they ended, it if a little sad. I still wish the Mandrain

had used the ten rings from the comics, THAT would have made a good battle. But I suppose it fits with

the rest of the moive. The Extrimis virus enfected guys were cooler and more accurate then I expected!

Vary good moive.

Whew! And with no spoilers!

Star Trek: Into Darkness. I didn't really like it. Why the film got a rating of 8,4/10 on IMDB is a myth to me. I would have rated the film with 6.0 or 6.5 at best.

Edited by Brickadeer

Just came back from seeing Star Trek: Into Darkness. I am not really a Star Trek fan, so I did not get most of it. The story was good until around about the end. The visuals were stunning aside from the lens flares. Overall, good but not a stand out movie.

I watched Fast and Furious 6 last night, it was such a good film :classic:

2 days ago I watched the first Star Trek and that was the first time I watched anything ST and I really enjoyed it.

Yesterday I watched Ironman 3 and Star Trek 2: Into Darkness

Ironman 3 was alright but because I had such high expectations for it, it was only mediocre

I already saw the spoilers people were posting but it was really predictable to see Mandarin was a fake.

Didn't really like the Extremis powers..fire breathing was overboard I think unless it was like that in the comics..

The credits were way too long so I didn't stay for Bruce Banner unfortunately :sad:

Star Trek 2 was amazing, almost as good as the first. Cumberbatch made a bad@$$ villian.

According to my friend, in the movie "The Wraith of Khan" Kirk dies, which I think is what happened in Old Spock's universe...it was pretty predictable with the regenerating blood that Kirk would be saved..I wish he hadn't though.

2 days ago I watched the first Star Trek and that was the first time I watched

Star Trek 2 was amazing, almost as good as the first. Cumberbatch made a bad@$$ villian.

According to my friend, in the movie "The Wraith of Khan" Kirk dies, which I think is what happened in Old Spock's universe...it was pretty predictable with the regenerating blood that Kirk would be saved..I wish he hadn't though.

Actually, in Wrath of Khan Spock was the one that died in the exact same way Kirk did. And yes, that was what Old Spock was referring to.

But Yes, I saw the film and enjoyed it as much if not more than the first. :wub:

My wife and I saw ST: Into Darkness today. It is definitely an homage to Wrath of Khan, which I got but was lost on my wife, who, shamefully, hasn't seen Wrath of Khan. I'll have to remedy that in the near future.

Still, the writers and director get these characters, IMHO, and I like that they can simultaneously maintain the major characteristics of the original cast, while putting a bit of a spin on the dynamics of those same characters. Die-hard fans of the classic shows and movies may not like it, but this fan does.

Saw Into Darkness yesterday. I'm no Trekkie, but I've enjoyed this reboot. The only knowledge of Khan I have is knowing that his name was screamed, and the Wrath of Khan was a movie title.

The biggest downside to prequels is that knowing the characters will make it of dire situations, even when they most likely shouldn't. Kind of ruins the suspense of it all...

And thirdly, I saw Star Trek last night. It was pretty awesome, with a ton of loud explosions and that cool warp speed path; haven't seen Wrath of Khan or the old school stuff so I wasn't too familiar with his backstory there. Still can't decide whether it's better than '09 or not but Benedict Cumberbatch's acting was ridiculously good.

Saw Into Darkness yesterday. I'm no Trekkie, but I've enjoyed this reboot. The only knowledge of Khan I have is knowing that his name was screamed, and the Wrath of Khan was a movie title.

The biggest downside to prequels is that knowing the characters will make it of dire situations, even when they most likely shouldn't. Kind of ruins the suspense of it all...

Star Trek is not a prequel.

Saw Iron Man 3. Sat through to the end of the credits. Not that kind of doctor. :classic:

Finally got around to seeing Wreck-It Ralph.

I demand a sequel.

Good movie. A sequel would be nice.

Saw Star Trek Into Darkness. I'd give it a 9/10, I really enjoyed it! Not as much as the first of the "reboot" series, though.

I watched Fast and Furious 6 last night, it was such a good film :classic:

Just got back from it, it was pretty great; the 4th is personally still my favourite. If it wasn't for the events of Tokyo Drift I think 6 would've been the ideal conclusion to the series.

The Great Gatsby..It was alright..as a person who has read the book, I found the director made the wrong choices on how he portrayed the novel.

My friend hasn't read the book yet and he enjoyed it a lot because there was the continuous suspense.

Acting wise, everyone was great mostly, DiCaprio amazing as always.

Well....I had a several paragraph review typed up with cool quotes and everything, and then hit backspace and the whole thing got erased as I went 'back' to my last webpage. After popping back forward, everything was gone, not backed up, and not auto-saved. So whatever. This is all you get now, as I don't want to type the whole thing all over again. Just blame Google and their stupid hot keys.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Spoiler-free)

It was cool, and my first venture into Star Trek.

A pathetic theater didn't hurt the film one bit, and it was nice to see Benedict Cumberbatch being incredible amazing. It was also a nice surprise to see Noel Clarke in this. (Mickey Smith in Doctor Who)

I didn't note any major flaws, although the pacing at times felt off. Some non-essential elements went a bit long, but at the same time the essential elements were giving plenty of time. It covered a lot of story, and felt a bit long at times, but overall didn't feel that drawn out.

Spock was cool, but John Harrison stole the show. Benedict was stellar, and if 'Sherlock' hadn't already done it, this would have surly shot him into fame.

No major complains, which is unusual with me, but what few there are I'm not going to elaborate on. It did have more cursing than I'm used to, but at least the lens flares weren't as bad as I expected. The ending was a bit....Interesting.

But you'll just have to see it to find out why.

I saw Jack Reacher on TV today. It was good! I'd give it an 8.5/10. :classic:

Django Unchained. Not worth the time. Sucked ultimately. :sick:

The Social Network; great acting by...just about everybody in the movie.

But especially Jesse Eisenburg as Zuckerberg.

The last movie I saw was Revenge of the Sith about 4 years ago. Still my favorite SW movie.

The last movie I saw was Revenge of the Sith about 4 years ago. Still my favorite SW movie.

You haven't watched a movie in 4 years? o_o