EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

The og Star Trek movies, I found some cheap blu ray(s) of them. And trying to get the first six movies (I should be getting the sixth movie this week). Watching them with the commentary can get a little dull since they seem to have more than one "track". Watching them back to back probably doesn't help. 

Up until recently, I hadn’t seen any DC movies besides The Lego Batman Movie and 2017 Justice League. I’ve been rectifying that and watched all of the live-action Batman movies from Batman 1989 to The Dark Knight Trilogy. Good stuff!

I also watched 1978’s Superman: The Movie in preparation of starting Superman: The Animated Series since I didn’t have too much familiarity with the character.

Godzilla vs Kong.  Not as good as I had hoped.  

On 4/11/2021 at 5:37 AM, N-4K0 said:

Tenet last night. 

That was a pretty trippy one.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Oldie but a goodie.

Edited by Childe_Roland
Mistake

A 1952 western, "The Denver & Rio Grande" was what I watched on Amazon. Featuring plenty of Colorado narrow gauge mountain scenery, and a spectacular "cornfield meet" train crash.... the historical accuracy (or lack of it) of the literal war between the Santa Fe RR (called San Juan and Pacific in the film) & Denver and Rio Grande over the Royal Gorge route is about on par for most Western films of this time period, such as that Alamo film that I can't quite recall the name of. :tongue: (AKA practically non existent.)

In all, I give it a good train film rating of three out of five cabooses, (cabeese?) because it was saved from a lower score by the stellar steam action.

Edited by Murdoch17

I had a bad day so I treated myself to watching the new Black Widow movie. It's stupid expensive since they try to make up for ticket sales and it was ONLY me watching it.

It was pretty good. A stronger Marvel movie. I had really only 1 or 2 nitpicks but I won't get into it.

On a slightly related note there was talk about Black Widow being really sexualized, and this movie kind of taking her more seriously and trying to address that. And it does pretty well, but there's still an inordinate amount of scenes where it's basically her doing something and you have a ridiculous focus on her butt that didn't need to be shot that way at all. Clearly they were still going for plenty of butt scenes lol. I'm not trying to make a real comment on it, it's just an observation.

The story was pretty good, the characters fun, if there's like 5 tiers of Marvel movies with Iron Man, Avengers 1, 3, 4 all at top (along with others maybe), and Avengers Age of Ultron on the bottom, this is firmly in like the tier just below the top tier. Good movie. Would recommend. The price though, maybe just wait for October when it's "free" on Disney+ or watch it now with more than just yourself to make it worth it.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:27 AM, BrickG said:

I had a bad day so I treated myself to watching the new Black Widow movie. It's stupid expensive since they try to make up for ticket sales and it was ONLY me watching it.

It was pretty good. A stronger Marvel movie. I had really only 1 or 2 nitpicks but I won't get into it.

On a slightly related note there was talk about Black Widow being really sexualized, and this movie kind of taking her more seriously and trying to address that. And it does pretty well, but there's still an inordinate amount of scenes where it's basically her doing something and you have a ridiculous focus on her butt that didn't need to be shot that way at all. Clearly they were still going for plenty of butt scenes lol. I'm not trying to make a real comment on it, it's just an observation.

The story was pretty good, the characters fun, if there's like 5 tiers of Marvel movies with Iron Man, Avengers 1, 3, 4 all at top (along with others maybe), and Avengers Age of Ultron on the bottom, this is firmly in like the tier just below the top tier. Good movie. Would recommend. The price though, maybe just wait for October when it's "free" on Disney+ or watch it now with more than just yourself to make it worth it.

Saw this today with a friend. Early in he noted the butt shots. I think the movie was pretty good, unfortunately the timing if it’s release ruined it a bit. We knew, no matter what happened to Natasha that she survives it. Speaking of but(t)s...

Spoiler

I refuse to use the name of the villain because what they gave us was nothing even remotely close to that villain. They botched HIM in every way possible. How hard would it have been to make her Drachov’s son... I didn’t think they could butcher a villain worse than they did The Mandarin...but they sure did here.

12 hours ago, allanp said:

The Blob with Steve McQueen! 

Co2 Dave! Co2! :grin:

(If anyone doesn't get the reference, watch the film!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Saw Free Guy with my buddy last weekend. It was an enjoyable, feel-good movie, nothing too special though. It was basically what would happen if Wreck It Ralph and The Lego Movie were made in live-action starring Ryan Reynolds. Solid 7 or 8 out of 10.

I've watched a handful lately: The Curse of Frankenstein (1958) and Dracula (1957) for a double dose of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, and Cruella (2021), which was... an adventure.

Eternals. It was definitely different from Marvel movies as we know them. I really enjoyed it & it’s always nice seeing the universe expand. 

Just finished watching Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi + all the deleted scenes from the original trilogy about half an hour ago on Disney+. Can't tell you how much I've watched the films over the years. I still prefer Episode V over anything else: one of the few SW films (III, V, and the despised VIII) are the only ones where the good guys mostly lose!

EDIT: Oh, and I watched "Casablanca", "The Maltese Falcon", and "Meet Me in St. Louis" last week. I loved the first two, almost fell asleep for the last one, even though it takes place in my hometown. (Snow in December so deep you can make six snowmen and a snow dog? This isn't Alaska: I don't think it's really snowed on Christmas as depicted like that in eastern Missouri since the last Ice Age!)

Edited by Murdoch17

I seen Spider-Man: No Way Home. I won't put spoilers here but their is a lot of Easter Eggs in the movie. Some obvious and some not so obvious, plus I probably missed a couple of them in the process. 

The Matrix Resurrections on Wednesday. Pretty okay movie.

The King's Man on Friday. Haven't seen the first two, but pretty good action movie.

Spider-Man: No Way Home on Saturday. Another pretty good MCU movie.

Edited by N-4K0

The last movie I saw was the House of Gucci. I know it hardly falls withing the framework of this thread, where you all discuss Sci-Fi movies, but this movie is worth watching.