EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Checked out Shazam! for the first time last night.

Given the current state of DC's cinematic universe, I thought I'd be annoyed and distraught over this entry's seemingly heavier ties to such a fractured (if not broken) endeavor. But, ya know what, those connections actually worked quite well in this movie instead, as it feels more like a stand-alone film that just acts under the pretence that superheroes are a given thing in this universe, thereby making its titular hero exist without causing major socio-political reverberations having his existence made know to the public. The movie's kinda like the MCU's Spider-Man Homecoming in that way, but with only the acknowledgment of the existence of other heroes, minus any references to "historical events" set-up by cinematic entries before it. :thumbup: :shrug_oh_well:

Since I last posted I've managed to sneak out to the theaters three times: twice for Endgame, and once for Shazam! and enjoyed both very much. I've also managed to see at home both of the RDJ Sherlock Holmeses, and some Benedict Cumbermahoozit Sherlock as well. I realize that means I've doubled down on a few key actors/characters (those mentioned plus Mark Strong) but that was unintentional.

Found myself watching John Carter (of Mars) the other night, and realized I was watching another Mark Strong gig. :shrug_oh_well: Also began watching I am Legend before it gets pulled from Netflix next month. Never seen it, not too far into it, but its pretty good so far.

I have been on a Star Trek kick lately. Because I got newer channel that shows TOS on Saturdays. Plus, I got the animated series a few weeks back. But, more to the point Star Trek 3 was on the TV and I haven't seen it for some time. 

Aladdin. As a huge lover of the animation...I loved this one as well. It was fantastic. Even Will Smith not being blue in some scenes didn’t bother me, even if I still don’t like it. He did great as Genie. I don’t think it’s fair to compare him to Williams. Williams is a one of a kind that nobody could compare to. 

I seen "Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" if you are a fan of ether the Turtles or Batman, you will like the movie. But at the same time I wonder how many "licenses" are officially connected. For example will Scooby-Doo run into the Turtles next? Or will Batman go up against Power Rangers next? (And yes Batman did meet up with Scooby-Doo multiply times. Not to mention TMNT has gone up against Power Rangers in Space, on film.) 

But a few days before I rented "How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World" it is a bitter sweet end to the series. 

Finally saw The Last Jedi. The only strong opinion I have about it is that it was long, in a meandering, distracting way. Not one I'll likely revisit.

Took my kids to watch Godzilla king of the Monsters.  Kids really enjoyed it.  I really like the way Godzilla looks in the recent movies, looks like a King of the Monsters should look like.  I grew up watching the old school Godzilla movies, as corny as they were they were still fun to watch and this was too with all new monsters in it

Spoiler

I thought it was a little to story driven for a Godzilla movie.  I wanted a little more action to it.  Story was ok.  Ghidorah looked great, very nice shots of him during the fight scenes.  Still a fun movie. 

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Quite alright movie, there's a few things I wish they did different, but I think it was good regardless

Spoiler

Some of the humor felt a bit too cliché for my taste, but I can take it.

I don't mind the way they went with it, but I do wish they made Mysterio actually have his illusion powers instead of him being a power hungry guy who used to work for Tony Stark who just made up everything he did with drones and illusion technology.
I think he would have been a more interesting villain and "proper" threat if he actually fought with real illusion abilities.

Edited by Error404

In recent weeks I have seen Captain Marvel (it was ok), Aquaman again, this time with the kids (who loved it), and a couple of Nic Cage's Disney flicks, also with the kids, and Da Vinci Code (not with the kids).

Saw from Far From Home, thought it was pretty good.

Spoiler

Not entirely sure how I feel about Mysterio. I wish he had his actual powers, but once they hit the part where he was really messing with Parker, I started to like it more & got into it. At the same time, it sorta feels like The Mandarin, great villain turns out to be a fraud(less so in Mysterio’s case because of the tech). Overall I really enjoyed it. It was rough not seeing Stan Lee though. With the end credit scene I was excited to see the Skrulls, because I thought they were actually duping the heroes for some reason....then they contacted Fury........and I was bummed. We’ll see how it plays out. 

Edited by Vindicare

Into the Spiderverse, finally, and now I can't get "Spidey Bells" out of my head. What a gorgeous, incredible movie. I'll give it to Lord and Miller, they know how to run the gamut from subtle background jabs to in-your-face absurdity, while hitting some deep and sincere emotional beats along the way.