EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

21 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Sat through Warcraft. Eh, it was alright. Nothing I'm going to leap up and watch again anytime soon, but it wasn't bad. I think the film's first twenty minutes could've benefited from a rewrite, as I initially had no clue what was going on. I managed to piece it together before the halfway point of the movie, but it was still jarring.

I'll admit this movie is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, and I would rewatch it more if I could.

The first 20 minutes, I feel like, were rewritten and that's the problem. I read that the original movie had been nearly 3 hours long, but had to be trimmed down; I'm pretty sure those first 20 minutes were what was left, and most of what got cut came from there.

The movie has serious issues, the human cosplayers characters among them, but I still think it gets a lot right: the mo-cap effects and actors and the score deserved some Oscar attention.

... ... ... ... ...

The last movie I watched was Captain America: the Winter Soldier. Not my favorite Marvel movie, nor even my favorite Captain America movie, but still a solid film. While not movies, I have been rewatching British comedy shows Blackadder (seasons 2-4, but 3 is really the best) and Monty Python's Flying Circus after decades since first seeing them.

Edited by rodiziorobs

1 hour ago, rodiziorobs said:

Blackadder (seasons 2-4, but 3 is really the best)

Absolutely!

I have no idea what the last proper movie I watched was. Don't really watch films, I only really watch documentaries or the news (yes I know...I'm lame). The last one I watched was Men of Iron, a channel 4 documentary on the life of Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Robert Stephenson. I am obsessed with I.K. Brunel, the greatest engineer of all time.

Well, I finally got ary to watching Cars 3. It was an OK film for "passing the torch" or "the student becomes the master" sort of thing. 

And then the next movie I watched is DC Super Hero Girls: Legends of Atlantis. First thing, I thought this series ended or was cancelled (or was that just the toy lines). For the film its self basically add new characters and expanded some of the older ones. Plus, their is an extra episode of the Super Hero Girls on the DVD. I recommend watch it first if you haven't seen it before, just because it come first chronologically (not that it necessary to watch to enjoy the main feature). 

I was planning to watch Bad Times at the El Royale today and ran into some issues at the theater so I saw First Man instead. It was an absolutely fantastic movie in my opinion. The lead performances from Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy, the entire Apollo 11 sequence that makes up the last half hour of the film, the score, the sound design, and the visual effects work were all outstandingly good. I was surprised by how intense the space flight sequences were, and the entire movie except for the 10 minutes or so that actually takes place on the moon has a really pronounced 1970s film grain look to it that really enhanced the experience. I don't have an IMAX theater anywhere close to where I live but I expect it's even better in that format.

Unlike many, I just finished watching the first season of Netflix's Stranger Things only now.

I intended to watch this show shortly after watching its eariler cinematic doppleganger, J.J. Abrams' Super 8, but got distracted with other media. Now that I've finally watched it, I get all the hype behind it, as it is a very well done show. While all the performances were great, I especially admired Harbour's character Chief Hopper and Ryder as Will's mom. Now, in comparison to Abrams' Super 8, I do find that movie has a more atmospheric aesthetic and grander cinematic scale going for it, thought I do prefer Stranger Things' treatment of their own big bad. 

I've just finished season 4 of Better Call Saul. I love it. So much slower than Breaking Bad but having watched that (and knowing the outcome), it's fantastic character development.

I watched The Nun on Sunday. I enjoyed it, but Conjuring and Annabelle are definitely better movies of James Wang.

Cheers

I just watched Solo a Star Wars story. It wasn't good, but not the worst.

Just finished watching the second season of Netflix's Stranger Things last night.

Granted, while I overall preferred the previous season for its more classic, trope-encompassing dynamic, the second one did offer plenty of new and interesting directions (never mind that out-of-place seventh episode detour) with a satisfying conclusion to wrap up the story arc (well, kinda). Speaking of that conclusion...

Spoiler

...I hope they don't revisit the Upside-Down arc again for the third season, as I think they should rather explore other "stranger things" so to speak. I mean, how about a Back to the Future inspired arc, one that involves time travel and/or alternate realities that aren't inter-dimensional "shadow realms" or dark mirror universes. In other words, how about something akin to Amazon's The Man in the High Castle meets Stranger Things? :shrug_oh_well:

Watched Ready Player One again, I got to say I really liked the film, the whole concept just worked for me, gotta get on to reading the book now!

Laurel & Hardy's The Music Box. It's an oldie but a goody. Watched it with my 3 Grandchildren 11, 7, and 5 & they loved it.

I resolved the problem I was having and saw a movie that, judging by the fact that it only made $10 million in the US in two weekends, very few people have: Bad Times at the El Royale. I really enjoyed it but there's only one thing keeping it from being a great movie: a point. This movie is not really about anything in particular and while it could pretty easily have been, the decision to focus on Chris Hemsworth's character for the last thirty minutes ended up shoving aside a lot of other interesting plot threads. It also has three or four different MacGuffins moving different parts of the story along and that makes it overcomplicated and lacking in focus.

Just about every other aspect was great, though- the direction, performances, cinematography, editing, soundtrack were all top-notch, and the structure is very clever. I recommend this one if it's even playing anywhere this coming weekend, which I rather doubt.

2017's cinematic adaptation of Stephen King's It and Pixar's Incredibles 2.

With the former, it was a fairly well done, atmospheric horror film with a good ending which I specifically appreciated; but somehow, it just overall didn't leave much of an impression on me after the fact. As for this year's sequel to The Incredibles, it had its moments, but I just couldn't help but think about the many different directions they could've instead taken such a sequel.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:28 AM, Kintobor said:

Sat through Warcraft. Eh, it was alright.

The only thing that came to my mind when seeing that movie a couple of weeks ago; it's Ragnar Lothbrok! You could notice it in the characters mannerisms, bodylanguage, way of speech... :laugh::grin:

Anyway, just seen Mile 22 yesterday; pretty solid flick I must say.

I recently rewatched Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp, (kind of a Marvel weekend) and while I like the story of IW better, I enjoy watching AM&W more.

I also watched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai and I have to admit it did nothing for me. Even when I tried to just appreciate it as a schlocky 80's adventure, I still found little to dig into. I never saw it as a kid so there's no nostalgia for me; maybe there has to be in order for one to enjoy it.

The last movie I watched was LEGO DC Super Hero: Rage of Atlantis. Really nothing seem to stick out for me, it wasn't a good or bad movie to me just average. 

I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street last night.  Wonderful movie.  I really enjoyed it.

I also watched Halloweentown at the request of my lady.  It was a movie.

Edited by x105Black

I finally got a chance to watch Hereditary from earlier this year. It is a fantastic arthouse horror film that slowly builds to a completely bizarre and terrifying last 30 minutes and an insane final scene. Huge recommend as long as onscreen decapitation doesn't bother you too much.

Watched the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm a huge Queen fan so I was really looking forward to the movie. I lowered my expectations after seeing some early reviews and I'm glad I did. I feel mixed on the film. The performances were outstanding from all and I could see some Oscar nods coming up, and I just loved seeing so many people in the theater. But for me I am disappointed at how inaccurate the film was, and how they skipped over so much. Their entire first couple years happen in like a minute. Not a bad movie but could have been more. At least it's box office success leads to more band biopics. I'm not the only one craving a The Who movie am I?

Disney's Christopher Robin with Ewan McGregor.

I never grew up with any of Disney's animated adaptations of the original stories, as I was only familiar with them from a surface level. Yet, I told myself that I'd might give this a watch on home media after being intrigued by some of its earliest teasers and reading of its fairly positive critical reception. Well, it's a lovely enough film, with a clever retrospective take on its characters and beautiful cinematography; but, given that I don't have the most nostalgic of feelings towards Winnie and company due to the above stated reasons, in the end, it just seemed a little forgettable for me personally. 

For Halloween I watched House on Haunted Hill (1959). My wife isn't much into scary things (meaning, not at all), but I convinced her she'd be okay. I thought it was great--not scary, but definitely had some creepy ambience and of course, Vincent Price. My wife, OTOH, didn't want to talk about it :pir-hmpf:. At least she wasn't mad at me over it.

We also watched The Illusionist (with Jessica Biel and Ed Norton) last week. It wasnt bad, and deepened my appreciation for Paul Giamatti as a great character actor, but didn't do much else.

Edited by rodiziorobs

2018's The Meg with Jason Statham.

For me, this movie was kinda like this year's Rampage with Dwayne Johnson, not in any way a groundbreaker, just a fun, worthwhile waste of time. :thumbup: :shrug_oh_well: