EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Just now, Agent Kallus said:

I finally watched black panther, it was good. :thumbup: (which means I've seen the entirety of the as of yet released mcu *oh2*).

Glad to hear it.  I only have Black Panther and Spiderman Homecoming left to watch.  Looking forward to them.

7 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Glad to hear it.  I only have Black Panther and Spiderman Homecoming left to watch.  Looking forward to them.

You're in for a treat.:thumbup:

Again, I know it's somewhat off-topic for this discussion, but I just finished the second season of Amazon's The Man in the High Castle last night.

Finally watched Ready Player One last night, and found it to be pretty enjoyable, especially its ending in particular. But, for a two hour movie, I thought it seemed to go by rather fast.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:18 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Finally watched Ready Player One last night, and found it to be pretty enjoyable, especially its ending in particular. But, for a two hour movie, I thought it seemed to go by rather fast.

It's a decent enough movie, but it took a lot of artistic liberties and was vastly different from the book.  As much as I enjoyed the movie, I much more highly recommend the book.

Tomb Raider (2018) with Alicia Vikander and Rampage (2018) with Dwayne Johnson.

Tomb Raider was a fair enough movie, which to me seemed a little dull overall, though I did end up liking it further towards the end. Same can be said somewhat for Rampage, which was a bit more fun than Tomb Raider, with an ending that sort of sealed the deal for me. So, yeah, I think they're both worth checking out if you haven't seen them already.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:18 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Took me a long time to get into it. Main character was a so-and-so, in 'real life' and the game. But that whole sequence when

Spoiler

they entered the movie The Shining, that was really cool. And when I saw the room number H was going into I thought "ooohhhhhhh noooooooo!"

that was hilarious.

13 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Tomb Raider (2018) with Alicia Vikander

Tomb Raider was a fair enough movie, which to me seemed a little dull overall, though I did end up liking it further towards the end.

I was pleased that it had a female hero that looked and sounded like a girl, not ripped & grunting like a muscle man. And she used her brains & skill to beat the bad guys, not her sex appeal. Nice change from the norm.

Finally got to watch Pacific Rim: Uprising last night, and as somewhat expected, it was rather underwhelming. 

With this sequel, many specific elements of the first film that I loved were absent, particularly the original's heavier industrial tone and style and Ramin Djawadi's amazing score. Granted, if the sequel did retain at least those elements, I may have liked it a little more, as its storyline, new characters, and time setting seemed to have worked somewhat as a follow-up. Honestly though, come to think of it, I think I'd rather want to have seen a prequel to the first movie as a follow-up instead. 

On 7/1/2018 at 9:04 PM, Artanis I said:

But that whole sequence when

Reveal hidden contents

they entered the movie The Shining, that was really cool. And when I saw the room number H was going into I thought "ooohhhhhhh noooooooo!"

that was hilarious.

As much as I enjoyed the opening race and final battle sequences, I do confess, that one instead had to have been my favorite scene for the entire movie. :thumbup: :head_back:

On 7/1/2018 at 9:04 PM, Artanis I said:

I was pleased that it had a female hero that looked and sounded like a girl, not ripped & grunting like a muscle man. And she used her brains & skill to beat the bad guys, not her sex appeal. Nice change from the norm.

That's true, and it did make the movie therefore feel more grounded in reality somewhat.

I just watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom last night.  It was great!  I really enjoyed it overall.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom here as well. I thought it was great. But....

When that little clone chose a dozen or so dinosaurs over millions of people...that really irked me. That was a stupid decision. Maybe it’s bwcause it hit a bit too close the home, as that is close to where I live.

Finally got around to watching the MCU's Black Panther about two nights ago.

Since I haven't watched many of the MCU films so far, I really liked how this one (for the most part) stood alone due to its lack of cross-referencing to other entries in the franchise. The design of Wakanda and its culture was pretty cool too I thought, with the skyline of its capital city being something I'd love to see someone capture in Lego. :thumbup:

Since I haven't watched Captain America: Civil War yet, I decided to rewatch The First Avenger the other night for a little bit of a refresh, and will probably follow up with a rewatch of The Winter Soldier before I finally do get around to watching Civil War.

Yesterday, I watched Ran, a film by Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. A masterpiece of a film and one that I'd put on a must-see list.

I got to see Black Panther this weekend, and it was really good.  I like how it was pretty much concerned with Wakanda and didn't stray too much into the rest of the MCU.  It gave it a good chance to breathe on its own.

I haven't yet seen Infinity War, but with its home media release scheduled for the end of this month, I've been doing a bit of a catch-up and refresh with the MCU in anticipation of that, as the last MCU film I've ever watched was Age of Ultron back in 2015. So, I finally watched Captain America: Civil War for the first time about two nights ago after rewatching The Winter Soldier a few nights earlier. 

Compared to the first two Captain America entries, Civil War obviously felt less like a standalone Cap movie and more like Avengers 2.5. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it was a good movie, but it still was instead an extended Avengers melodrama with Bucky as its focal point. 

Over the past two-ish weeks, I have watched:

Jurassic Park, the first one. Its flaws were more apparent to me this viewing, but it succeeds in so many ways that it's nothing short of amazing every time.

Sneakers, an early computer-age espionage thriller with Robert Redford and a good supporting cast. It has a lot of genuinely tense moments (the slo-mo sequence in particular) that I appreciated. I'd watch it again some day.

Ant-Man and the Wasp, which was better than its predecessor in every way. I mean, the science-y stuff is still completely handwavium-based, but it was a fun time. All of the actors seem to have settled into their roles more this time around, as the amount of capital-A Acting was unnoticeable (especially compared to the first). I'll definitely watch it again.

The Eagle has Landed, a WWII film from the late 70's told from the German side, full of wonderful actors like Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, and Robert Duvall. The inconsistent accents across the film was frustrating (especially from Donald Pleasance, who I know can do better), and the editing/pacing a little off compared to modern standards, but not enough to kill the movie. Also, the score by Lalo Schifrin of Mission: Impossible fame helped sell a lot of the tension without being intrusive. I enjoyed it fine, but I probably wouldn't watch it again.

13 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Compared to the first two Captain America entries, Civil War obviously felt less like a standalone Cap movie and more like Avengers 2.5. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it was a good movie, but it still was instead an extended Avengers melodrama with Bucky as its focal point. 

Agreed, it seemed a bit silly calling it that instead of Avengers Something Something. But by announcing that title it could make people speculate it was something to do with him and the American civil war, whereas if they'd just called it "The Avengers Fight Each Other"...

Having said that, if they wanted the real plot to be a surprise, why did the previews show they'd be fighting each other...

Power Rangers reboot... I was very disappointed by it. So much so that I can safely say I hated it. Nearly everything about it was bad. I get wanting to update a 20+ year old franchise...but, man. Alpha 5, Rita,  Goldar, the Zords/Megazord we’re terrible, they looked like utter crap. The Rangers were half way decent. Giving the kids superpowers was dumb...as was completely changing the kids character from being good kids to bad... blah. :wall:

I wanted to like, as I was & am a die hard fan of the series first iteration here in the States.

Edited by Vindicare

- Jurassic Wold: Fallen Kingdom;

Spoiler

What a dissapointment; less than 2 min of Goldblum & the movie went downhill when they reached the halfway point. It could've been so much more. :sad:

- Avengers: Infinity War;

Spoiler

Although I'm not heavy into superheroes, it just made my day! Can't wait for it to continue. :classic:

Edited by -zenn

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming! Both were not quite as good as I remembered, but were both still great.