EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

So what did you guys think of the movies you watched?

While not a horror film, Annihilation definitely scared me at points. It was really well done, aside from some bits of dialogue and delivery from minor characters. Tomb Raider wasn't a great movie by any means, and predictable especially if you played the reboot games, but it was a fun watch.

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

I actually always preferred to see Godzilla as a misunderstood hero.

I think Kong works better when approached that way as opposed to Godzilla, at least as a creature that you can emphasize with.

By the way, have you ever watched Toho's Shin Godzilla (a.k.a. Godzilla: Resurgence) from 2016? If so, is that worth a watch, for the sake of a more antagonistic take on the character?

I would tell you the last movie I watched, but the first rule is that I'm not supposed to talk about it.

The second to last movie I watched involved Matt Damon feeling small.

Before that was a movie that was basically Starman mixed with the creature from the black lagoon!

Any guesses?

1 hour ago, allanp said:

I would tell you the last movie I watched, but the first rule is that I'm not supposed to talk about it.

The second to last movie I watched involved Matt Damon feeling small.

Before that was a movie that was basically Starman mixed with the creature from the black lagoon!

Any guesses?

Fight Club
Downsizing
The Shape of Water

How did I do?  And did you like the movies?

Ready Player One. Highly recommend this one in theaters just on the basis of how amazing the visuals are, but it is a very well-done movie, carrying on the proud tradition of Spielberg adapting mediocre books into great movies. It also has MechaGodzilla fighting The Iron Giant and a Gundam so, you know, there's that.

Side note, given that a sizable majority of this thing is inside the virtual reality world, would it be considered eligible for any Best Animated Feature awards?

12 minutes ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

It also has MechaGodzilla fighting The Iron Giant and a Gundam so, you know, there's that.

MechaGodzilla?! *huh*

Spies Like Us - It is one of those movies that you can tell it is a product of its time, with the occasional joke thrown in. And I kinda of forgot about the Bob Hope cameo in the film. (I am guessing other people have too.) 

Batman and Robin.

And before you ask, yes, apparently I am a glutton for punishment, because before that I watched Batman Forever. It came out of a conversation I had with my brother-in-law over how bad those movies really were (or were they?) so naturally I had to find out.

B&R is bad, but has a kind of charm like a full feature-length toy commercial (the transforming Robin hover-sled! Available at all fine retailers) that has a live-action Saturday morning cartoon built right in. Arnold's ice-pun shtick is so heavy it's practically a side character, and there are a ton of so-bad-it's-good moments. Plus there is the genuinely emotional side-plot of Alfred dying (which I had completely forgotten) that belongs in a better movie. I'd watch it again, sometime down the road.

Batman Forever is downright unwatchable. Un-watch-a-ble. The less said, the better.

I suppose now that I've established the baseline I really ought to get around to seeing BvS. You know, someday.

10 hours ago, x105Black said:

Fight Club
Downsizing
The Shape of Water

How did I do?  And did you like the movies?

Perfect :classic:

Fight club is great for at least the first half, starts to feel a bit long towards the end.

I liked downsizing overall. Its.....different, but in a way many may like, kinda like how Edward scissorhands and beetlejuice are different. It's better if you don't watch any trailers because they spoil way too much for this movie. The cast make this movie much better than it otherwise should have been.

I also enjoyed shape of water overall. But weirdly I felt the actual creature to be the least entertaining or interesting part of the movie. Micheal Shannon and Sally Hawkins are easily the best part, thankfully the movie focuses more on them than the kinda boring creature.

4 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I suppose now that I've established the baseline I really ought to get around to seeing BvS. You know, someday.

Do yourself a favor- stick with Batman and Robin :wink:

Mighty Joe Young, the original from 1949.

It was a fun film to watch, but of course, the gee-whiz dialogue of the main male and female leads can be rather cringy to get through most of the time. Besides that, most of the other characters are well done, particularly on Robert Armstrong's part. And yes, the stop motion animation in this is great, with Joe having a great range of emotion expressed through animation.

12 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Batman and Robin.

And before you ask, yes, apparently I am a glutton for punishment, because before that I watched Batman Forever. It came out of a conversation I had with my brother-in-law over how bad those movies really were (or were they?) so naturally I had to find out.

B&R is bad, but has a kind of charm like a full feature-length toy commercial (the transforming Robin hover-sled! Available at all fine retailers) that has a live-action Saturday morning cartoon built right in. Arnold's ice-pun shtick is so heavy it's practically a side character, and there are a ton of so-bad-it's-good moments. Plus there is the genuinely emotional side-plot of Alfred dying (which I had completely forgotten) that belongs in a better movie. I'd watch it again, sometime down the road.

Batman Forever is downright unwatchable. Un-watch-a-ble. The less said, the better.

Good analysis of these stale turds.  I have to go back and re-watch them myself at some point, if only to appreciate the good Batman movies more.  Also, I have not watched BvS either.  Don't really plan on it, but maybe someday.

9 hours ago, allanp said:

Perfect :classic:

Fight club is great for at least the first half, starts to feel a bit long towards the end.

I liked downsizing overall. Its.....different, but in a way many may like, kinda like how Edward scissorhands and beetlejuice are different. It's better if you don't watch any trailers because they spoil way too much for this movie. The cast make this movie much better than it otherwise should have been.

I also enjoyed shape of water overall. But weirdly I felt the actual creature to be the least entertaining or interesting part of the movie. Micheal Shannon and Sally Hawkins are easily the best part, thankfully the movie focuses more on them than the kinda boring creature.

Fight Club was fantastic, and got me to read other novels by the same author.  Chuck Palahniuk is a gifted writer, and I suggest picking up some of his other early novels to anyone interested in a good read.  I particularly enjoyed Diary.

I've been interested in seeing Downsizing, so I'll take your advice and stay away from the promotional materials until I see it.  The concept kind of reminds me of something out of a Vonnegut book called Slapstick, which I would also recommend to anyone here.

Shape of Water is a movie I've been very interested in seeing, and the Oscar buzz only increased that.  I look forward to finally seeing it.

BvS isn't quite that bad. Not saying it's great, but there are far worse movies featuring either of those characters. But then I have a bad feeling after every new Star Wars movie (Rogue One was good once it got going) so maybe it's the same story for DC fans

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Rewatched The Lego Batman Movie last night.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

19 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Oh, most definitely an excellent film, both as a Lego movie and a Batman movie! Now this was my third time around watching this film, so while I was caught up in the narrative watching it for the first time, I found myself more distracted this time playing I Spy [insert part no.]. :laugh: 

I watched two DC movies (on DVD). First one Scooby-Doo & Batman: The Brave and the Bold. This movie has me wondering if this was the first time Batman met the Scooby Gang. Because even on the DVD it has the two Scooby meets Batman and Robin movies (from the 70's). 

The next movie is LEGO: The Flash. To sum it up quickly Flash learns a lesson about his powers. I am kinda wondering if the TV show (on the CW) does a better job with the Flash "learning a lesson", but this movie is only about an hour. So it is definitely quicker than what might take the TV show a couple of episodes to show with a similar lesson. 

P.S. Since their is a Scooby-natural cross over now. I had thought, we could in Theory now get a Sam & Dean Winchester and Casteel along with the Impala LEGO sets. 

On 29/03/2018 at 10:58 AM, x105Black said:

So what did you guys think of the movies you watched?

What we do in the shadows is a relatively low budget mockumentary about vampires in New Zealand.  It isn't the most amazing show ever, but with Jemaine Clement (flight of the conchords) and Taika Waititi (most now know him as the voice of Korg in Thor Ragnarok) you know there are some great moments.

Black panther is a good movie. It is a landmark, unarguably. That said, I found it to have several glaring plotholes and scenes that perhaps were not the greatest for Black Panther or Wakanda as a whole. Which gets me a lot of flak from my friends, but it is true. Would I watch it again and/or recommend it to anyone? Absolutely. And I will say that taking Man-Ape and turning him into one most interesting characters is ****in' awesome.

Totally not biased because his actor is from T&T... maybe a little biased... anyway there ye be.

Ready Player One. As a book adaptation, it was very disappointing, as it was very little(read microscopic) like the book. As a movie without any prior knowledge of the book, it’s a great movie. 

I went back to the well of Cinematic Batman Shame and watched Justice League.

It wasn't...bad... Just overwhelmingly *meh*. I might share some comments over on the DC-specific thread, if I decide I care enough.

Ridley Scott's The Martian, with Matt Damon.

A really fun and educational piece of realistic science fiction, I found the PR element of the plot rather amusing. 

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ridley Scott's The Martian, with Matt Damon.

A really fun and educational piece of realistic science fiction, I found the PR element of the plot rather amusing. 

I really enjoyed that movie.  The tenacity of Damon's character was awesome, and the knowledge of science was key.

7 minutes ago, x105Black said:

I really enjoyed that movie.  The tenacity of Damon's character was awesome, and the knowledge of science was key.

As far as sci-fi movies with Matt Damon go, have you ever watched Neil Blomkamp's Elysium from 2013? If so, would you suggest it at all?

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As far as sci-fi movies with Matt Damon go, have you ever watched Neil Blomkamp's Elysium from 2013? If so, would you suggest it at all?

Yes, I have seen it, and I enjoyed it.  It's an interesting story, and overall a good watch.  I'm a big fan of Blomkamp's work.  I would suggest it.

I'm a big horror film fan. Recently though, i've fallen into a rut where film after film failed to elicit any ounce of dread or anxiety out of me. I was feeling that maybe I was numb, that I had over exposed myself to Horror and I could no longer be scared. 

Then I saw two extremely well made horror films...

The Ritual - Four friends get lost in the woods of Northern Sweden and there might be something else there with them. The cinematography and locations are beautiful, the horror is well thought out, and the pace is excellent. Most importantly I actually cared about the characters. 

Train to Busan - A father and daughter are on a train from northern South Korea down across the country to Busan when a viral outbreak ravages the country and induces a zombie epidemic. One of the single best zombie films ever made up there with 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, and the remake of Dawn of the Living Dead. 

This movie is refreshing in a genre over inundated by lifeless flicks. The action and horror are excellent, the filmmaking is superb, and just like the Ritual I deeply cared about our core group of protagonists. This deep emotional core kept me on the edge of my seat, literally, hoping that the protagonists would survive the next action set piece. I ultimately left the film feeling worn and moved deeply. I can't promise everyone might have this same experience but for me at least this last one really hit a deep place in my soul that i'm still reflecting on. 

7 hours ago, x105Black said:

Yes, I have seen it, and I enjoyed it.  It's an interesting story, and overall a good watch.  I'm a big fan of Blomkamp's work.  I would suggest it.

If you're a fan of Blomkamp you should check out the channel Oats Studios. He's directed several proof of concept films that will never be made but he really loved the ideas of. He crowd funds them and for what budget he has they're really quite astonishing. 

Here's just one he's done.