EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

8 hours ago, x105Black said:

Did you like it?

Yes, very much, except for the very ending of the movie.

Spoiler

What I didn't like about the ending was how it so quickly turns towards a sympathetic direction towards the extraterrestrial. I don't know, I just find it unrealistic that such a supposed intelligent being can act in such an animalistic way. If this were a less intelligent extraterrestrial that more resembled an animal, that's one thing. But for one that is intelligent enough to pilot a spacecraft? Eh... :def_shrug:

I guess it just felt weird to be so scared of this thing all along, only to hastily make it out to be not as malevolent as it seemingly was.

I saw RED SPARROW this weekend... it was not good. Of all the people who had to do an accent, only Joel Edgerton's was consistent.

8 minutes ago, x105Black said:

What did you think?

Not bad, I kinda liked how it turned out at the end. Hugh Jackman's character started off as a pretty unlikable jerk at the start of the film, but his redemptive transformation played out pretty believably I thought. I also liked the actor who portrayed his son in the film, who seemed to act rather mature for his age, but again, not in a unrealistic way.

Annihilation. It's on Netflix now in most of the world, which is a shame because it absolutely deserves to be seen in a theater. It's mostly slow-burn and weird, building up to a complete mind screw of a climax that is just wonderfully done but will leave almost everyone confused.

It does make a lot more sense than the book, which is also brilliant but differs greatly in plot and has such a strange final 50 pages I cannot describe what even happens in it.

I watched Tommy Boy again with my kids recently.  God I miss Chris Farley he always made me laugh.

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Not bad, I kinda liked how it turned out at the end. Hugh Jackman's character started off as a pretty unlikable jerk at the start of the film, but his redemptive transformation played out pretty believably I thought. I also liked the actor who portrayed his son in the film, who seemed to act rather mature for his age, but again, not in a unrealistic way.

Real Steel is a movie I enjoy popping in every now and then, for the reasons you name. I don't remember it getting much press when it came out, but I think it's a very watchable, somewhat underrated flick.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Spoiler

What a dissapointment; no story in it at all. The whole build up to Snoke, and he gets killed off so easily. It was literally Transformers disguised as Star Wars. Only action, trumpets & drumms music every other minute. A disgrace.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.

Given all the talk about this being a such hilarious action/adventure comedy, I didn't find myself splitting at the seams with laughter as much as many made this movie out to be. Perhaps I set my expectations too high for it in those respects as a result, but still, at least I though it was a cute movie. Plus, I really liked its twist ending.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

There was a twist ending? I thought that (with respect to Robin Williams) this movie was better than the original. 2 nitpicks however: 5 players but 4 controllers, and the guy is a fan of Metallica AND Pink Floyd?

35 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

There was a twist ending? 

Well, I guess it wasn't exactly a twist ending, just that the guy trapped in the game for twenty plus years came back out where he left in 1996, thereby altering history in a Back to the Future sorta way. 

On 3/15/2018 at 9:30 PM, Artanis I said:

the guy is a fan of Metallica AND Pink Floyd?

Hey, so am I!

So I finally watched Star Wars: The Last Jedi two nights ago, and without getting into the specifics that have already been addressed and discussed by so many already, it overall left me with rather mixed feelings. Though I can't say I was ever bored, it just seemed to go on forever I thought, jumping back and forth between the different situations. 

I decided to watch J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie a few nights ago, and then ended up watching Legendary's Godzilla from 2014 the following night.

I saw ANNIHILATION and TOMB RAIDER this past weekend.

Last cinema trek was Black Panther, 2 weeks back. Last movie at home was What We Do in the Shadows, 3 days ago.

Edited by Harrilal

On 3/28/2018 at 8:05 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I decided to watch J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie a few nights ago, and then ended up watching Legendary's Godzilla from 2014 the following night.

15 hours ago, KotZ said:

I saw ANNIHILATION and TOMB RAIDER this past weekend.

14 hours ago, Harrilal said:

Last cinema trek was Black Panther, 2 weeks back. Last movie at home was What We Do in the Shadows, 3 days ago.

So what did you guys think of the movies you watched?

Just now, x105Black said:

So what did you guys think of the movies you watched?

Abrams' Star Trek was fun, but it didnt quite hook me enough to want to watch its two follow-up sequels. Can anyone say if they are worthwhile enough?

As for Legendary's Godzilla, it was only interesting up until the point the first MUTO reveals itself. After that, meh, I thought it kinda dragged on. The only thing that many others had taken issue with which really didn't really bug me personally was Godzilla's murky, limited screentime, as I kinda liked that approach actually. But still, I just can't buy into the whole savior approach with Godzilla, as I think he works much better as a antagonist, a destructive force of nature if you will.

52 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But still, I just can't buy into the whole savior approach with Godzilla, as I think he works much better as a antagonist, a destructive force of nature if you will.

I actually always preferred to see Godzilla as a misunderstood hero.