EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

I saw 'the greatest showman' and I was pleasantly surprised. From seeing the previews I thought it would portray PT Barnum as some kind of saint but it was a far more honest portrayal than I expected. B+

The last movies I watched were The Fan, Kiss the Girls, The Rover, and Whiplash.

I'll skip talking about the older 2 movies, but they were good.

The Rover was great.  Very interesting.  I would never have recognized the 2 leads had I not been told who they were.  Fantastic performances.

Whiplash was brilliant.  Much different from other music-based movies.  The performances were fantastic, and J. K. Simmons definitely deserved the praise he got for his role.  Also, just great jazz.

I watched the Blackcoat's Daughter and Gerald's Game.

Never before has a movie made me feel sick in my stomach and light headed as Gerald's game; excellent movie up until a certain moment where I felt the need to take a cold shower. Haven't been able to watch the rest yet, and I don't know if I even can. 

Blackcoat's Daughter is extremly good and creepy, slow paced thriller with horror elements to it. 

Edited by RetroInferno

'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' & 'Thor: Ragnarok'.

Kinda dissapointed by GotG2, but Thor made it more than up for me. Dang, that was an awesome movie! :laugh:

13 hours ago, -zenn said:

'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' & 'Thor: Ragnarok'.

Kinda dissapointed by GotG2, but Thor made it more than up for me. Dang, that was an awesome movie! :laugh:

I enjoyed both, but agree that Ragnarok was the better movie.  Up there with my favorite movies of 2017: Blade Runner 2049 & 47 Meters Down.  Still want to check out Logan, I, Tonya, The Shape of Water, and Mother!, among a few others from last year.

Edited by x105Black

On 28/01/2018 at 8:02 AM, x105Black said:

Whiplash was brilliant.  Much different from other music-based movies.  The performances were fantastic, and J. K. Simmons definitely deserved the praise he got for his role.  Also, just great jazz.

As a drummer I found that movie very difficult to enjoy, and so much of it made no sense to me

4 hours ago, Artanis I said:

As a drummer I found that movie very difficult to enjoy, and so much of it made no sense to me

Fair enough.  That's an interesting perspective.  I was wondering how a drummer might react to it.

I think it was really just the plot and some character that I couldn't accept. The other aspects of the film were great (sound, visuals etc), but it was ruined for me by so many "it doesn't work that way" & "why would you do that" moments!

Shape of Water and Maze Runner: Death Cure.

Shape of H2O was beautiful and one of the best movies I've ever seen. Death Cure ended the underrated series in an amazing way, even though it was completely different from the book. Sad to see it end.

re-watched Ant Man after seeing Ant Man and the Wasp trailer... Man, I still crack up seeing the giant Tomas the tank smashing everything! B++ (close to an A- but VERY few movies are worth an A)

I was watching TV and a movie came on. Paycheck with "Batman", "Two-Face", "Poison Ivy" and special guest star the "Rhino" (from Spider-Man). I never realized that this was a "Batman" movie. Or more reasonable "How Bruce Wayne got his millions." :wink: 

I watched The Devil's Own.  Pretty good movie, with Brad Pitt as an anti-hero.  Harrison Ford had me thinking he was a good guy the whole movie.

Edited by x105Black

Shin Godzilla.  Good if you like lots of dialog and character development.  Not so good if you like more monster smash action.  :classic:  

Dune 

This is without a doubt one of my favorite Sci-Fi films of all time, based on one of my favorite Sci-Fi books of all time. Having now watched the mini-series of Dune and the live action cutscenes in the old games I have new found respect for the next level quality of David Lynch's version. Also it docent help that the story is somewhat incoherent in places due to the studio demanding Lynch remove an hour of footage from his original three hour plus cut.

Shine,

IMO the best film ever made and further prof that the academy awards is a sham and little more than a popularity contest (It was beaten by Titanic). It is an absolute triumph of a film displaying in the deepest and most raw fashion what can break a man and finally how he can be put him back together.

Logan. I didn't love it quite as much as most of the Internet seems to but it is a fantastic movie, and ends the X-Men franchise so well I wish they would give the main series a rest and just make more interesting spin-offs like this and Deadpool. But no, we're still getting another prequel in November...

I watched Blue Ruin, which was a very interesting movie.  I really enjoyed it.

I also watched TRON: Legacy again.  And I loved it again.  Even more than the first time because I recently watched the original again.  Great films.

Black Panther - As someone who cares little for Marvel but has seen all the films, this movie was absolutely refreshing! The African setting and POV on the world as presented is so unique compared to every other super hero movie. 

In fact I would say my only criticism is that Michael B Jordan's character needed more screen time, and I wish the film had delved deeper into the psyche's of its characters rather then give so much screen time to some of the action set pieces, that if not for the beautiful characters and costumes, feel a little generic. In fact one battle scene is almost taken from Game of Thrones. 

Edited by Forresto