EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

I bought 11 films the other day and decided to talk about some of them as I love them.

I first bought the Cornetto trilogy, only $26 on Apple so I thought it was a fantastic deal. 

Shaun of the Dead: Really witty film but was fairly basic for my liking, due to Edgar Wright's impeccable attention to detail it elevated the experience for me. It was a fantastic introduction to Wright and his insane world.

Hot Fuzz: My favorite of the Cornetto trilogy, it took everything that I liked from Shaun of the Dead and made a better movie from it. Fluidity between scenes, interesting side characters, entertaining death scenes. It's the perfect parody that could stand just as well if it were just an action flick.

The World's End: I have some mixed feelings on this one. It's hard to watch all three and not compare them in some way, as you may see. It's an ensemble film so it's hard to care about all of these characters. I don't see Wright as an ensemble director and it's clear to see by the end of it. It's a great film but it bears the burden of being an anchor to a trilogy that's not really a trilogy but can be interpreted as one.

I also bought all six LotR/The Hobbit Extended Editions for $40, it was a fantastic deal that was without doubt worth it.

I haven't powered through the Hobbit movies but the Extended Editions of the LotR trilogy were great examples of how additional scenes can make fantastic films into exceptional classics. Small character scenes strewn throughout the films were so impressively done and still flowed the movie through. I actually found watching the normal trilogy the first time as somewhat of a chore, upon watching the Extended Editions, it flowed as I said before. It also made larger scenes much more impactful for me at least. 

I love Taika Waititi and his films, buying Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople was a fantastic choice. Boy is my favorite coming of age movie, a personal film with some great characters. While Boy is a great character, I actually found his brother to be my favorite character. Thought provoking to say the least. People may hate the ending but the whole film was subtle, a subtle ending fit. 

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is my second favorite Taika film though it is his best. With some more money and caliber of actors, Waititi can make some images come to reality that he once might have had trouble doing, the editing is phenomenal though the film does have minor pacing issues. Some great shots indeed. It was also a much funnier film than Boy but still had the heart of Boy. 

That's it. I try not to spoil too much.

The Gift (2015). Been a while since I seen a decent thriller. It was creepy with several twists.

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows. Robert's portrayal of Sherlock is impressive - his witty and methodical nature, his ability to anticipate just about anything looks taken to extremes!  But when he and Watson talk, many of the references went whoosh! (straight over my head). 

On 5/2/2017 at 8:55 AM, Iria said:

The Gift (2015). Been a while since I seen a decent thriller. It was creepy with several twists.

I'll add that to my list!

Watched almost all of Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, part of Episode 5, and the very end of Episode 6. So many great quotes, scenes, and characters I forgot about. All for May the 4th.

2 hours ago, FishW said:

Watched almost all of Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, part of Episode 5, and the very end of Episode 6. So many great quotes, scenes, and characters I forgot about. All for May the 4th.

Impressive.  Most impressive.

I only had enough time to watch one Star Wars movie yesterday (A New Hope).

I think a lot people are going to see "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2". I will say this they did put a lot of "Easter Eggs" in the movie. 

I was going to watch my two Ewoks movies on the fourth, but couldn't find them. I came across them yesterday, though. Also yesterday I got myself a copy of Hocus Pocus, since it is nearly impossible to get from my local library (I once waited 2 months for a copy). The movie in the player last night though was Captain America The First Avenger. Earlier in the week I watched Revenge of the Nerds, Panty Raid Edition with commentary. That was revealing!

Two movies for me this week. One being on DVD and the other in cinemas and the funny thing is that they are both Marvel movies. I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well as X-men Days of Future Past.

Since last replying, I have watched:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

The Finest Hours

Sing

Hidden Figures

La La Land

Jack Reacher

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

2 Fast 2 Furious

The Mummy Returns

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Frogs (a B-movie from 1972. It's hilariously horrid.)

For the first time. I think that La La Land was the best of that bunch, but nearly all of those were good or great movies.

On 13/05/2017 at 9:30 AM, PicnicBasketSam said:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

First movie I saw at the cinema. Got a bit scared by The Dip, haha. Was fine apart from that though

My sister's first movie was Milo & Otis, she didn't fare so well.:laugh:

Alien Covenant - Not everyone seems to be enjoying this installment. I for one loved it especially the ending. The film is visually beautiful and made with the extraordinary quality one comes to expect from Ridley Scott. The story is bleak, more so then the other Alien films. I think time will tell how it will fit in with the alien universe.

Sorry to double post.

Edited by Forresto

Just wish I had more time to these days! With my son, Boss Baby. It was OK. The Batman Lego Movie too, I loved the flashbacks, my son didn't get them!

9 hours ago, Forresto said:

Alien Covenant - Not everyone seems to be enjoying this installment. I for one loved it especially the ending. The film is visually beautiful and made with the extraordinary quality one comes to expect from Ridley Scott. The story is bleak, more so then the other Alien films. I think time will tell how it will fit in with the alien universe.

Sorry to double post.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing it; I'll be going on my next day off.

My last movie was Guardians of the Galaxy. Honestly, it was a'ight, but I felt like it was a letdown in a lot of ways.

Last I saw in theaters was Trainspotting 2, and that was a few months ago. I've got free tickets, but I'm not really that excited for any movies out right now. 

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales at premiere night.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2: Great! Better than the first for me

Alien Covenant: Good. It kinda felt that the movie came one too soon, but I still liked what we got. Fassbender was great as usual. 

Alien Covenant. I really enjoyed it, was great seeing the Facehuggers & eventual chest poppers again, but it was a bit slow at times. 

John Wick: Chapter 2.