EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

I saw Captian America: The Winter Soldier. It was amazing. It's my favorite Phase 2 Marvel film (so far).

Watching First Avenger to get ready for Winter Soldier and I've forgotten how good it is.

"Do you two fondue?" - Cap

Hahaha!

Saw Muppets: Most Wanted on Friday. I have to say, while I did like the 2011 movie better, this one did have a fair amount of laughs. It was entertaining all the way through, despite falling flat at many points. C.

What's with all these Verhoeven remakes at the moment? Last year we had Total Recall, now Robocop, and Ender's Game is like Starship Troopers remade.

Ender's Game - Very nicely made, good story, some great moments. Very similar to Starship Troopers but with younger kids and much less gory. 6/10

Ok, so, not to start an argument (these are all just opinions, anyway), but while there's a couple of things you could point out (like the buggers looking like, you know, big bugs), I don't see the similarity. In Starship Troopers there was this big deal about nationalism, and you might think that was there in Ender's Game, but in reality the world was still fighting amongst itself, with countries only joining forces to defend themselves. Ender was a much more troubled, reluctant hero than Johnny Rico - there was a whole lot of introspection going on there, very psychological... I'm sure just about everybody knows the plot, but spoilers ahead - he didn't even know he was actually fighting, and the fact that he was using the lives of others as pawns - and the fact that he committed nearly complete genocide of an entire race, all without knowing until afterwards is a huge psychological bomb that leaves you discussing things with your friends after the movie, while Starship Troopers (which I enjoyed, don't get me wrong) has you talking about the special effects and laughing at the over-the-top jingoist nationalism spread throughout. Except that it's humans fighting bugs, I just don't see them as similar at all. I'm disappointed that the politically correct crowd destroyed Ender's Game and made sequels all but a dead end.

Noah, a great movie with wonderful effects. However a word of warning. Due to the large amass of raining and water, make sure you go to the toilet beforehand.

OK, I haven't seen it, but I've heard a review from a fairly conservative, religious person who claims he'd be able to accept some liberty with the story, but that the movie was completely ridiculous - with "Rock Monsters" (his words) and Methuselah having magic powers and something about some magic snake skin(?something like that). I'm not particularly religious myself, and most of the religious people I know take the bible with a grain of salt - mostly parables to send a message rather than actual history, but if that's true, then it seems they've really strayed too far from the source.

I'm disappointed that the politically correct crowd destroyed Ender's Game and made sequels all but a dead end.

OK, I haven't seen it, but I've heard a review from a fairly conservative, religious person who claims he'd be able to accept some liberty with the story, but that the movie was completely ridiculous - with "Rock Monsters" (his words) and Methuselah having magic powers and something about some magic snake skin(?something like that). I'm not particularly religious myself, and most of the religious people I know take the bible with a grain of salt - mostly parables to send a message rather than actual history, but if that's true, then it seems they've really strayed too far from the source.

I was keen to see Ender's Game, I rarely go to the cinema since the prices are crazy, and despite being advertised before release, they never screened it. I live under a rock sometimes, so I had to ask a friend what was up with that, he was also disappointed, and suggested that it was possibly boycotted in opposition to the author's personal views. I find that silly, regardless of that author's personal views (yes, I do now know what they are) whether you agree with him or not. What does that have to do with the movie? Nothing, really.

The essence of the story of Noah is that God is sickened by how evil everyone is at the time, but that Noah's family are righteous, so he will spare them and also uses them to save all the different creatures for a fresh start to humanity, while he wipes out the rest with a flood. An unbiased opinion can only be formed by watching the movie myself but what I have heard however (which is little), suggests it strays very far from the source in a few areas, the essence as I stated is not strictly adhered to, and the story sounds like it's really just a religified natural disaster movie. Time will tell whether it merely raises an eyebrow or furrows them! I'm sure someone will be offended regardless...

Everything that reviewer said is true. They have the general idea, but they just added more elements that might seem ridiculous to some. Look, we all should have known that a Hollywood movie based on a bible story would spark some outrage. Apparently it was even banned in some countries...

Captain Phillips. A great movie, and again, with "non-fiction" movies, many liberties are taken with the plot. But for those who haven't seen it, it is an intense movie with TONS of plot twists and development.

Saw Muppets: Most Wanted on Friday. I have to say, while I did like the 2011 movie better, this one did have a fair amount of laughs. It was entertaining all the way through, despite falling flat at many points. C.

I actually really enjoyed Most Wanted. To me, it hearkened back to some of the older Muppet films and just felt like a fun breath of fresh air. I'd give it a B.

From what I've seen though, it hasn't been taking in a lot at the box office. I wonder how far down the road another Muppet film will be. Personally, I'd rather see Disney do something a little more risky like resurrect the Muppet Show for the ABC network.

Just finished watching 'Back To The Future Trilogy' (again). Can't help it, I watch it at least 2-3 times a year!

After months of waiting and spoiler-avoiding, I finally saw The LEGO Movie. It was definitely worth the wait. There was a lot of love put in to this (more than most animated movies based on toys). If you haven't seen it yet, please do so! It is the best animated flick I have seen in a while.

Well I've been oddly busy today. First I went to the cinema to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier in what was my first trip to the cinema in 2014. I have to say, this has probably been the best Marvel film of the lot so far. It was absolutely excellent, And once again the end-credits scene really excites me with what implications it has.

Afterwards I finally watched Frozen. I'd heard it was excellent for a while now, so I finally decided to give it a look on my laptop. I was very impressed with it despite my initial reservations (the same could be said for when I initially watched Tangled when I think back on it). The songs were great and always felt appropriate, though Let It Go was the obvious highlight of the song list.

To sum up, in one day I've watched two excellent films. Next up will be The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when that comes out.

Finally the Lego Movie came out, so I watched it with some dudes. The cinema was mostly filled with kids and younger teens (and parents). I was in tears a few times, laughing at part usage & set references and the non-fluid Lego-y movement. But the best bit for me was

when Vitruvius died

, I just lost it. Then when

he came back as a Lego ghost

that was hilarious!

I might see it again tomorrow? Cheap Tuesday and all that, but in 2D this time.

Finally the Lego Movie has come to Australian shores. I watched it in 3D on Satuerday night and its the best movice I have seen in years. I tryed to keep away from all the reviews so it didnt spoil the movie for me and im glad I did. So many funny puns and lego refrences. Im glad to see Star Wars making the cut after they where not included in the master builders (the space worm eating them was awesome).

For anyone reading this forum must have a love of Lego and is a must see for all, you wont be disapointed. Toy Story again but in Lego.

Finally the Lego Movie came out, so I watched it with some dudes. The cinema was mostly filled with kids and younger teens (and parents). I was in tears a few times, laughing at part usage & set references and the non-fluid Lego-y movement. But the best bit for me was

when Vitruvius died

, I just lost it. Then when

he came back as a Lego ghost

that was hilarious!

I might see it again tomorrow? Cheap Tuesday and all that, but in 2D this time.

Your so right Artanis I, I will see you there on tight megablocks Tuesday.

Your so right Artanis I, I will see you there on tight megablocks Tuesday.

You mean "Freedom Friday, Except On A Tuesday"

I also just saw CA:TWS. Odds are that the next movie I see in theaters will be...CA:TWS, again! I don't go to the theater that often, much less for a repeat showing, but I really really (really) liked it.

I've been watching a few films on the projector with the kids recently: Frozen 3D, Rio, The Goonies and Tangled 3D. Whilst they're in bed I've gone through the original six Star Trek movies and the four Next Generation ones. As well as Boogie Nights and Inglorious Basterds.

Edited by -SD-

finally saw The Amazing Spider-Man.

Was really good!

Acting was good, chemistry between the characters was good

Enjoyed it way more then the original 3.

Looking forward to Rise Of Electro, speaking of which has anybody seen it yet?

Would like to hear how good it is, or not :P

Looking forward to Rise Of Electro, speaking of which has anybody seen it yet?

Would like to hear how good it is, or not :P

It's not out until Wednesday....

Captain America: the Winter Soldier. Pretty good. I liked the basic premise about totalitarian regimes, and all the leads were good in their roles. I felt I was forced to watch it by agents of shield, which was annoying. There was a lot more time before spoilers regarding Thor 2.

So glad that the Aussies finally get to see The Lego Movie! It is about time!

My neighbor loaned us a DVD, and we are watching "Borgen" the first year. The title refers to the castle, which is the nickname for the Danish government headquarters.

OMG! It rocks! It is the Danish version of the West Wing, which we loved.

The acting is so outstanding, and the subtitles are not annoying. It is very easy to understand for the most part.

It is about how the Danish Prime Minister is chosen and how their Parliament operates. Very well written.

And the score by Halan E (on iTunes) is also first class.

(Note: If you have the DVD option on Flix in the US, you can order the discs.)

I just saw the LEGO Movie as well. I definitly reccomend it, it is not at all like the low-budget animated cartoons based on toys. It's actually a great movie!

Saw "captain America, the winter soldier" and I think it lives up to the hype its been getting. Although the plot was a little confusing at times, it worked out and it was pretty good. As a new jersian I approve this movie. :grin:

Edited by arc

Been a few weeks since I've been to the movies, but the last time I went was for Winter Soldier, which I enjoyed way more than the first CA movie. (honestly, I thought the first one blew chunks)

Best movie I've been to this year however was Pompeii, but that was more to do with the fact I walked over in a raging blizzard, despite it being only like 5 days before Spring "officially" arrived! :grin:

Got home from the theater and had to shovel a 3 foot snow drift that's normally my driveway!