EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Watching a lot of movies at the moment. I have a new rating system. If it's over 5/10 I would watch again and if it's under 5 I wouldn't. If it's 5, I might.

The Lego Movie - very proud of my son for sitting all the way through it even though he wanted to go home after an hour. We came home and he decided to smash a diorama I was about to photograph - what can you say after that film... the one thing that stands out is that the son's MOCs were about 100x better than the dad's. 8/10

Robocop (1990) - A Jesus/Frankenstein mash-up. Very Verhoevenesque staging. 8/10

Groundhog Day - True story - I fell asleep watching Groundhog Day and when I woke up I was still watching Groundhog Day and then I fell asleep and when I woke up again I was still watching Groundhog Day. Fantastic film. The best film about Buddhism ever made? 10/10

Caddyshack - a series of skits, like Mad magazine. Bill Murray was excellent, I'm guessing he ad-libbed everything. Not sure why this was so popular. 5/10

Animal House - another series of skits. OK. Again not sure why this was so popular. 4/10

The Adventurers - The Curse of The Midas Box - enjoyable Steampunk gothic romp. Some terrible acting but overall fun. 6/10

Jason and the Argonauts - This is one of the best films ever made. Harryhausen rules. 9/10

The Pirates - Adventures with Scientists/Band of Misfits - Piratey claymation fun from Aardvark. 7/10

American Beauty - Superb performances and character development all round. The first time I saw this I thought it was all about Kevin Spacey, but Annette Benning might be even better. Having just quit my job after 17 years, I am now going to buy a Camaro. But not get shot. 9/10

Frozen - predictable but nicely made. Aimed at sentimental parents with multiple children including at least one girl, which is a great marketing premise. 6/10

Paprika - Entirely insane and brilliant manga. It's in your head! 9/10

S1m0ne - flimsy Hollywood meta. A one-premise film (CGI is quite good now). Great cameo from Winona Ryder, Pacino is only there for the money. 2/10

Your Highness - a bunch of mates having fun and Natalie Portman winding down from Black Swan. 6/10

Pineapple Express - Stoner comedy except I didn't think it was that funny. James Franco was good 3/10

This is the End - James Franco and Seth Rogen having fun with a big budget. Not funny. 2/10

The Lego movie today. Finally, it was so good but felt so rushed. It also felt like the movie started in the middle of the plot. Otherwise it was very funny and quite enjoyable.

Jurassic Park 3D and Up 3D. Considering JP is nearly 21 years old, I thought the 3D conversion was really well done, and it's the first time I've seen it on a large cinema screen for...... nearly 21 years. The kids really enjoyed it too.

Just come back from seeing '300: Rise of an Empire' in 3D, was fantastic and I certainly recommend it, for me I rate it a 9/10 :classic:

I can see there being a 3rd film in the series of this wonderfully violent action packed movie

Downloaded 12 Years a Slave; definitely deserving of its Best Picture Award.

What's with all these Verhoeven remakes at the moment? Last year we had Total Recall, now Robocop, and Ender's Game is like Starship Troopers remade.

Total Recall (1990) Philip K. Dick story adapted by Verhoeven. Very very violent but good fun. Arnie was great and Sharon Stone delivered. The special effects are fun, the film's ending a bit weak. 6/10

Ender's Game - Very nicely made, good story, some great moments. Very similar to Starship Troopers but with younger kids and much less gory. 6/10

In Time - A social conscience sci-fi film like Elysium. The premise here is that poor people are always on the edge of dying because they don't have enough money. Which is more-or-less true. Good story, well directed. Great cars! 8/10

Silver Lining Playbook - predictable storyline but utterly brilliant acting. I was fascinated and absorbed by the fabulous performances all round. Bradley Cooper in my view should have got the best actor award (The Oscar went to Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln, who was also good), Robert de Niro was outstanding too, Jennifer Lawrence pretty good (and she did get an Oscar). 7/10

Limitless - nice concept film (smart drugs make you smart), quite original direction and Bradley Cooper was very good. I couldn't work out if it was a commentary on cocaine or amphetamines. 6/10

Time travel movie round-up

Looper - slick, but I think deeply flawed by stupid plot holes (or so clever I just couldn't get it). Almost entirely ridiculous. 3/10

About time - typical Richard Curtis romcom with a heartwarming message. 7/10

Happy Accidents - great acting by d'Onofrio and Marisa Tomei, keeps you guessing. 8/10

Safety not Guaranteed - I quite liked it when I saw it, but it wasn't that good, in retrospect. The script has very funny moments, Aubrey Plaza delivers, but the plot is flabby. The story is pretty much the same as Happy Accidents , which was much better. 5.5/10

Primer - Breathtakingly audacious and ambitious. Totally brilliant, and shot for $7000. 10/10

Edited by robuko

Not a cinematic movie this time, but I suppose it can count.

Last night I watched the Blue Exorcist movie. Pokemon movies aside, this is my first ever anime movie experience. I can say that I enjoyed it and was relieved to see it didn't create any continuity errors with the series itself. The plot was unusual, and I was disappointed that Rin and Yukio didn't use their demon powers more often during the film. It was still enjoyable though, even if I had expected better.

Edited by Star Wars NutJob 69

Dallas Buyers Club; surprisingly I enjoyed it a little more than 12 Years a Slave. Hindsight being 20/20, I might've voted it for Best Picture too.

Finally saw the Need for Speed film today, it was much better than I had expected, I rate it a 9/10 :classic:

Watched Mr. Peabody and Sherman the other day. It was a great, had quite a few clever jokes and puns in it. Some rather adult oriented

-'Skinta

Have you seen the new one? You shouldn't be judging unless you've seen the new one yourself.

I'm a huge fan of the original and just saw the new one last night. I didn't have high expectations but I was actually pleasantly surprised. This was one example of hollywood not screwing up a redo/reboot.

The two films are different enough not to be directly comparable to each other. And can both coexist as different interpretations of the story.

What is fair to say is that the new movie is far better than Robocop 2 (which was a turd).

My whole problem with the rebooted Robocop is that Detroit didn't look like a hellhole. The audience needs to be given a reason for Robocop to exist.

My whole problem with the rebooted Robocop is that Detroit didn't look like a hellhole. The audience needs to be given a reason for Robocop to exist.

Its not the audience that needs a reason. Its the citizens of Detroit, and by extension the USA. And that is at the very core theme of the movie.

Its not the audience that needs a reason. Its the citizens of Detroit, and by extension the USA. And that is at the very core theme of the movie.

But the situation isn't dire enough to even consider a Robocop. In order to convey a "do the ends justify the means" type theme, we have to be in a very bad place. Otherwise there isn't really a question, is there?

They missed a great opportunity in exploring the concept of pro-robot versus anti-robot, and Robocop is only seen as a way for Omnicorp to make money. There isn't a clear debate on whether real world America would be better off with Robocop.

Edited by montyofmusic

Frozen

This movie didn't live up to the hype that everyone was saying, and that on its own, it's just an okay movie. We got two sisters, one of which becomes the Ice Queen, named Elsa, and the other who's name I can't honestly remember, so I'm calling her Rapunzel 2.0. So, Rapunzel 2.0 has to bring her siste

r back to the kingdom after she runs away at her coronation as queen of the land right after she refuses to bless Rapunzel 2.0 and Prince Hans wedding, which the two decided to have after knowing each other for a day. So Rapunzel 2.0runs into some quirky friends, an ice hauler named Christof, a moose named Sven, and eventually a snowman named Olaf, who looks a lot like the one her sister use to make with her before her parents put Elsa into hiding in her room. Eventually it's revealed that Prince Hans was only using Rapunzel 2.0 to take control of the kingdom, and stuff happens and... ugh.

:sceptic:

I've seen all these plots before. Beauty and the Beast did the stereotypically hero turning into the villain, and did it better, the sisterly love theme was done first in Lilo and Stitch, and done better, Mulan has the whole feminism thing down pat. I just felt as if this film had no idea what it was trying to be. It was juggling all these different ideas so much that it got really muddled in it's own morals. I'm going to complain about Hans here for a moment, because Hans's reveal as the villain not only came as unexpected, but right out of left field. There was no point where I felt he was seen in a negative light as a jerk. Gaston from Beauty and the Beast was a jerk, and obviously the villain of that film. Hans's sudden betrayal of Rapunzel 2.0 was so contrived and forced that I really didn't see it coming because he was too nice! In fact, who cares if he wound up killing Elsa and Rapunzel 2.0, from what we saw, he was helping the citizens of the kingdom, he was friendly to his subjects, and most of the time he was acting like a gentleman, so if Rapunzel 2.0 and Elsa died, who's to say the kingdom wouldn't be in good hands? Also, was any of the male leads really necessary to the plot? Or the trolls? The trolls in particular seemed to be shoehorned in, with an even more shoehorned in love song. I would've been totally fine with the story being about just being about Elsa and Rapunzel 2.0, in fact, it probably would've helped, since the movie is filled with so much filler and songs. The songs really got to me as to just how many of them there were. There was no time for the characters to just be characters because there was always another musical number right on top of them. There were times when I literally said "can we please move on with the story and stop singing?" I guess I'll touch on the musical numbers. They didn't do it for me. "Let it Go" was okay at best, Olaf's song had a few clever moments, but I didn't like Olaf all that much to begin with so maybe that's why. The only two songs I really honestly liked was the opening song sung by the ice haulers and "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" It was those first few atmospheric minutes I wish the rest of the film was like.

Now, some of you may be wondering why I called our female lead Rapunzel 2.0. Well, I feel as if all this new princess is is a clone of Rapunzel from Tangled, which is a film I thoroughly adored. I was hoping we'd get a thoroughly thought out new princess character, but instead we got a Rapunzel clone. I really enjoyed Rapunzel's adorkableness and all around naivety, but with the new princess, Anna (I went and googled the cast list) just feels like Rapunzel copy and pasted onto a new mold. I guess both had similar upbringings being locked in their respective castles, but when both characters are the exact same, I get a little annoyed.

Bottom line, Frozen has its moments, but I wouldn't pay the twelve bucks for a ticket at the theatre. I generally either recommend a movie, or tell you to pass it. For the first time, I'm going to say wait until it goes on sale for a discounted price, or Netflix streams it. Do I want to build a snowman? No thanks, I'd rather build a spaceship.

Now excuse me while I await the angry mob.

Frozen

This movie didn't live up to the hype that everyone was saying, and that on its own, it's just an okay movie. We got two sisters, one of which becomes the Ice Queen, named Elsa, and the other who's name I can't honestly remember, so I'm calling her Rapunzel 2.0. So, Rapunzel 2.0 has to bring her siste

r back to the kingdom after she runs away at her coronation as queen of the land right after she refuses to bless Rapunzel 2.0 and Prince Hans wedding, which the two decided to have after knowing each other for a day. So Rapunzel 2.0runs into some quirky friends, an ice hauler named Christof, a moose named Sven, and eventually a snowman named Olaf, who looks a lot like the one her sister use to make with her before her parents put Elsa into hiding in her room. Eventually it's revealed that Prince Hans was only using Rapunzel 2.0 to take control of the kingdom, and stuff happens and... ugh.

I've seen all these plots before. Beauty and the Beast did the stereotypically hero turning into the villain, and did it better, the sisterly love theme was done first in Lilo and Stitch, and done better, Mulan has the whole feminism thing down pat. I just felt as if this film had no idea what it was trying to be. It was juggling all these different ideas so much that it got really muddled in it's own morals. I'm going to complain about Hans here for a moment, because Hans's reveal as the villain not only came as unexpected, but right out of left field. There was no point where I felt he was seen in a negative light as a jerk. Gaston from Beauty and the Beast was a jerk, and obviously the villain of that film. Hans's sudden betrayal of Rapunzel 2.0 was so contrived and forced that I really didn't see it coming because he was too nice! In fact, who cares if he wound up killing Elsa and Rapunzel 2.0, from what we saw, he was helping the citizens of the kingdom, he was friendly to his subjects, and most of the time he was acting like a gentleman, so if Rapunzel 2.0 and Elsa died, who's to say the kingdom wouldn't be in good hands? Also, was any of the male leads really necessary to the plot? Or the trolls? The trolls in particular seemed to be shoehorned in, with an even more shoehorned in love song. I would've been totally fine with the story being about just being about Elsa and Rapunzel 2.0, in fact, it probably would've helped, since the movie is filled with so much filler and songs. The songs really got to me as to just how many of them there were. There was no time for the characters to just be characters because there was always another musical number right on top of them. There were times when I literally said "can we please move on with the story and stop singing?" I guess I'll touch on the musical numbers. They didn't do it for me. "Let it Go" was okay at best, Olaf's song had a few clever moments, but I didn't like Olaf all that much to begin with so maybe that's why. The only two songs I really honestly liked was the opening song sung by the ice haulers and "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" It was those first few atmospheric minutes I wish the rest of the film was like.

Now, some of you may be wondering why I called our female lead Rapunzel 2.0. Well, I feel as if all this new princess is is a clone of Rapunzel from Tangled, which is a film I thoroughly adored. I was hoping we'd get a thoroughly thought out new princess character, but instead we got a Rapunzel clone. I really enjoyed Rapunzel's adorkableness and all around naivety, but with the new princess, Anna (I went and googled the cast list) just feels like Rapunzel copy and pasted onto a new mold. I guess both had similar upbringings being locked in their respective castles, but when both characters are the exact same, I get a little annoyed.

Bottom line, Frozen has its moments, but I wouldn't pay the twelve bucks for a ticket at the theatre. I generally either recommend a movie, or tell you to pass it. For the first time, I'm going to say wait until it goes on sale for a discounted price, or Netflix streams it. Do I want to build a snowman? No thanks, I'd rather build a spaceship.

I can see what you're saying, but I think you're overanalyzing the film. Kids won't think about all this stuff too much. What does make me mad about the film though is that people are like "It's the first Disney movie to teach girls they don't need a man to save them!" And I'm here like "Mulan did it like 15 years ago..so..." Yeah that makes me mad. What I enjoyed about the movie though is that they made it seem that they were making fun of themselves and their past princess movies. With the whole "love at first sight" but then elsa says she can't marry a man she just met and Kristoff telling her she's crazy. Interesting to wonder how the past princesses would have dealt with that. Also the trolls telling them she needs a "true loves kiss" -of course Disney would say that. But then they go against it and have her sacrifice herself for her sister. Idk, it seems to me they were poking fun at their past princess stereotypes with True Loves Kiss and Love at First sight. I also liked how the romance wasn't the focal point. Kristoff and Anna (that's her name haha) didn't fall madly in love but just realized they had feelings for one another. Anway, you're entitled to your opinion just though I'd share mine! Mulan stills stands as my favorite Disney movie though. She kicks butt.

I saw Mr. Peabody and Sherman yesterday and loved it! The plot wasn't the best (predictable at best) but I loved how they tried to incorporate the time travel and lessons from the cartoon and stuff into the movie. I found some of the side characters in the past to be dragging it down though. The dialogue between Mr. Peabody and Sherman was great too and was pretty heartfelt. The voice acting from them was amazing as well. Really good movie.

I can see what you're saying, but I think you're overanalyzing the film. Kids won't think about all this stuff too much. What does make me mad about the film though is that people are like "It's the first Disney movie to teach girls they don't need a man to save them!" And I'm here like "Mulan did it like 15 years ago..so..." Yeah that makes me mad. What I enjoyed about the movie though is that they made it seem that they were making fun of themselves and their past princess movies. With the whole "love at first sight" but then elsa says she can't marry a man she just met and Kristoff telling her she's crazy. Interesting to wonder how the past princesses would have dealt with that. Also the trolls telling them she needs a "true loves kiss" -of course Disney would say that. But then they go against it and have her sacrifice herself for her sister. Idk, it seems to me they were poking fun at their past princess stereotypes with True Loves Kiss and Love at First sight. I also liked how the romance wasn't the focal point. Kristoff and Anna (that's her name haha) didn't fall madly in love but just realized they had feelings for one another. Anway, you're entitled to your opinion just though I'd share mine! Mulan stills stands as my favorite Disney movie though. She kicks butt.

It's my job to overanalyze stuff. :laugh: Check the TMNT 2012 thread and the Cartoons thread and fish around for my analyze of both Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It must be the brony side of me coming out, that fandom has an obsession of picking out the nitty gritty in every episode. :tongue:

I'll agree on the points about the romance not being the central focus of the plot, I did enjoy that, as well as other bits of it (the market and sauna scene come to mind, but I don't see where this fountain of love for this movie sprouted from. They sort of made fun of themselves in "Enchanted", but that's another can of worms.

Thanks for sharing your opinion! :classic:

I love the Honest Trailer for Frozen. "This movie teaches girls they don't need a prince to save them, because all men are disgusting loners, greedy merchants, or manipulative dictators." :rofl:

Frozen

I'm not going to get that mad, but would you mind putting important plot stuff in spoiler tags in future please? I haven't seen it yet and am waiting to watch it with my fiancée when it's released on DVD. Thankfully I skimmed through all of it before I got too much plot.

Anyway; I watched Catching Fire last night. I haven't read the books in a while so I was able to caught off guard by some of the twists such as:

Cinna being beaten (although I suspected it was coming and Finnick really being on Katniss' side. I really thought he'd betray her, I'm pleased to be wrong as I really enjoy his character, may even be my favourite character besides Peeta.

I'm interested to see how they handle Plutarch's character in Mockingjay, given Phillip Seymour Hoffman's tragic and sad passing. Overall I give Catching Fire 8/10 and look forward to Mockingjay!!

Edited by The Brigante

I'm interested to see how they handle Plutarch's character in Mockingjay, given Phillip Seymour Hoffman's tragic and sad passing.

Poor guy. I was very sad when I heard the news. They said he finished his scenes for part 1. As far as I recall he doesn't appear much in the second half of the book, unless they expanded his role in the film.

Now, I just watched Muppets most wanted last night and I loved it! While not the best work of the Muppets, it was very enjoyable. Too bad it isn't doing well in the box office, but I suppose it's due to the competition right now what with Divergent and what not.

Saw Divergent. It was awful.

Wow. I wouldn't say awful. It strayed quite a lot from the book, but I liked it quite a bit. Curious why you say awful?

Divergent

It strayed diverged quite a lot from the book

Fixed that for you

Wow. I wouldn't say awful. It strayed quite a lot from the book, but I liked it quite a bit. Curious why you say awful?

It was just really boring. It was predictable at best and unoriginal. Nothing I hadn't really seen before.

Noah, a great movie with wonderful effects. However a word of warning. Due to the large amass of raining and water, make sure you go to the toilet beforehand.