EbonHawk

What was the last movie you watched?

Iron Man 3. The action and humor were great! My only gripe with the film is:

The Mandarin being an actor. The build up to the meeting between Tony and him was so good and they just had to ruin it. Mind you, it was still a very funny scene!

Edited by greeny

Aw no! A part of me was thinking there was something after the credits but then I thought "na, there can't be". Could you tell me what happened in a spoiler tag or maybe PM me?

For those of you who haven't seen it don't click the spoiler button, just remember to sit through the credits.

Turns out that the narration by Tony throughout the film is in fact him having a heart to heart with Bruce Banner, and Bruce has slept through most of It.

Bruce says "I'm not that kind of Doctor" (a psychiatrist) and when Tony asks "Where did I lose you", Bruce replies "Switzerland" ;-).

Cracked me up, and I left the cinema with a smile on my face.

Regards

Kaitain

Sad, but I can't remember the last movie I watched... Either that long ago, or that unmemorable...

IRON MAN MARATHON

Iron Man-

Great, as ever. Sadly this Ten Rings organization seems to have little to do with the one in IM3.

I've seen it several times, so there weren't any surprises, but it was my first time watching it in a theater, so that was nice.

Iron Man 2-

Good, this one seconds the sentiment directly above, but it was still quite enjoyable. Ending's still a bit quick, but whatever.

Avengers-

This is like a love-letter to geeks, and is still fantastic after so many viewings. The 3D seemed better than last time I watched it, and it's a bit low in the plot department, but hey, it's the Avengers, who cares? Probably my favorite of this bunch, but that may be due to the other heroes, a more developed ending, and no major plot complaints.

Iron Man 3-

Beware of major spoilers!

If I can sum it up in one sentence, it's this: "Think Dark Knight Rises, minus the plot holes, but adding more plot developments that I don't like."

I can't say I was really let down, as that wouldn't be the truth. It's a fine movie and all....But it's not that re-watchable IMHO. (Similar scenario to TDKR.)

So, let's start at my biggest complaint and work down. All of the development, all of the story, all of the learning Tony has gone through in the past few movies was trashed in the last few minutes. He gets the shrapnel out of his heart, blows up all of the suits, gives up tinkering, and pretty much quits being Iron Man. But then states the famous line at the very end. (I am Iron Man.)

Seriously dude? I get the need to get the focus off of IM since RDJ may be leaving the franchise, but there are much, much better ways of doing it.

Moving on, the next big issue is the literal invincibility of the Extremis guys. They get blown up, beat up, shot up, and burnt up, but they can't be killed. Period. You can't hardly contain them, you can't kill them, you can't control them. And the only one that is "healed" is Pepper, BY A ONE LINE VOICE-OVER! Don't get me started on these guys, just don't. They can trash any suit in a second flat, but can't even die even when they themselves explode and incinerate everything around them. They are WAY YONDER over-powered. And most of them aren't even dealt with at the end. They're still around, still alive, still supped-up, and nobody does anything about it. And did I mention the fact that after all of that, Killian should still be alive?

Next on the complaint agenda is a tie between Mark 42 glitching all the time, then getting trashed by PEPPER. And Iron Patriot doing absolutely nothing for the good guys. Rodney did stuff, but the suit was useless. And as to Mark 42, it's fine to glitch at first, and served for some great humor, and them some cool improvising by Tony, but then it just became stupid, not funny, and lame.

The climax started out really cool, but highlighted flaw #2, and that made it hard to watch. Add in Tony's not being in a complete suit that much, and it makes a bad combination. Pepper's "Death" didn't have any weight to it due the Extemis stuff, and what's the point of getting all of those great suits, if all they are there for is to be cannon fodder? And why didn't Tony just all one of them in when Mark 42 was broken earlier in the movie?

Other's in no particular order are:

Happy's character was ruined, and made out to be a dumb, silly guy who never really didn't much productive. But that's quite low on my list right now.

Tony runs around using improvised tech, uses a gun a lot, and once he finally gets his armor, it don't do that much. He relies on his physical abilities too much, and not his suits. Other, more physical heroes can, and do, pull that off, but not Stark. It's like a Batman movie with hardly any Batman in it....Oh, wait, we've already had one of these. Pepper's Extermis arch was solved way too easily, and only served as temporary worry, and a reason for not caring about her death. And I If can' possibly bring this up, the 3-D was non-existent in this film. I never noticed it, ever. It was there in Avengers, but totally gone here. don't know what happened, but they dropped the ball on that.

Now, I know I sound all negative, so here are some pros:

There were a lot of neat suits, even if for only a second or two.

We got to see Tony out of the suit, but still being awesome. (Problem is, we got an over-dose. It was cool, but only to a point.)

The Extemis guys were great villians...Until the point where they became unkillable. Hard to kill? Fine, even great. But that went way over the line.

Tony and his relationship with Pepper. He obviously cared about her.

The origins of AIM, I liked the flash-back scenes, they were cool. And it set up a potentially great organization to use in later movies.

While the "Mandarin twist" came out of nowhere, it was actually not that bad. And quite entertaining.

The after-credits scene was funny, albeit random, out of place, and neglecting to foreshadow anything...At all.

So, there you go.

Can't say I hated it, or really loved it either. It was good, but had some really annoying stuff. I'd probably not watch it again for a while, and would need a good reason to do so.

It's a great one timer, and any Marvel/MCU/Superhero fan should watch it once, but unlike all the other MCU films, there's no need to take it for a second go. Which is really sad to tell the truth, as I was really hyped for this, and it just didn't deliver. And it also created a LOT of problems for the rest of the coming films. I don't want to dis-like this film, so feel free to try and persuade me other-wise. I would love to really adore this film, but I just can't. Sorry guys.

And I can really see just how horrible of a job Lego did at picking scenes to make sets out of. Malibu is fine, but the others.... :sceptic:

Edited by SteampunkDoc

I saw Iron Man 3 earlier today, and I kind of thought the twist was bold and interesting. Definitely a 9.25/10 from me. :classic:

Iron Man 3. I loved it! However, LEGO really screwed up with the sets (except for Malibu).

Iron Man 3-

I pretty much agree with this. It was a very entertaining movie, but there were some issues with the storyline. I don't think it will stand up well to repeat viewings. :sceptic:

No Ten Rings plot link to Iron Man 1 - at all? Iron Patriot was completely useless. Oh, Tony didn't even need an Arc reactor at all, just a doctor. Seriously...? The inappropriateness of the Lego sets is just weird - Iron Man doesn't even fight the Ben Kingsley Mandarin, at all. Why couldn't we get a flaming body Killian? Or an Iron Patriot.....

In preparation, I had a Marvel marathon

Captain America - a good old fashioned love story with an evil bad guy, and he's a Nazi.

Thor - Initially unmemorable but gets better each time I watch it. Thor fights a bigger bad guy. And Wins.

The Incredible Hulk - Hulk fights a Hulkier Hulk. And wins.

Iron Man - Iron Man fights a bigger Iron Man. And wins.

Iron Man 2 - Iron man and his friend fight a bigger Iron Man and his friends. And win. Better than I thought when I saw it in theatre.

The Avengers - all the heroes fight each other and then they make friends and fight the bad guys from Transformers 3. And win. Hulk would have won on his own.

Can anybody see a common theme here? Luckily the films all have very good casts, directing and visual effects.

:classic:

I watched Iron Man 3 today, it was awesome and quite funny in parts but I don't get why lego made the sets they did except the Malibu mansion. The other two sets don't really happen in the film (in someways I was disappointed with the mandarin twist, but it was pretty funny) :classic:

Iron Man 3 and I completely mimic the opinions here. Overall it was really fun, but TLG screwed up big time. Another thing I question is why did LEGO pick the Heartbreaker suit to make? I mean it wasn't all that prominent, and didn't stand out from the other suits for the most part. My only guess is that it was the easiest to do considering colors and what not.

I pretty much agree with this. It was a very entertaining movie, but there were some issues with the storyline. I don't think it will stand up well to repeat viewings. :sceptic:

No Ten Rings plot link to Iron Man 1 - at all? Iron Patriot was completely useless. Oh, Tony didn't even need an Arc reactor at all, just a doctor. Seriously...? The inappropriateness of the Lego sets is just weird - Iron Man doesn't even fight the Ben Kingsley Mandarin, at all. Why couldn't we get a flaming body Killian? Or an Iron Patriot.....

The reason behind the LEGO set inaccuracy is

to avoid spoiling the movie. I saw an interview with Guy Pearce, and apparently he signed a contract saying he was not allowed to spoil any secrets. He wasn't even allowed to say if he was a bad guy (though it was made quite obvious that he was). If there was a Mandarin Showdown set that included Iron Man and Aldrich Killian then it would cause speculation and spoil the movie. That is just the logical side of things, and anyway, the Mandarin included in the Ultimate Showdown could make a good Trevor ( the actor) minifig :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Wall E2624

Iron Man 3.

Mixed feelings.

I liked the first half, but after the mandarin twist I found myself trying to piece together a massive mess of awkward segments of story

First movie I saw today was Iron Man 3.

The first two thirds of the movie didn't feel like an Iron Man movie...it felt like a Tony Stark movie, throwing together random gadgets and piecing together Killian's plot. Threw me off quite a bit - though I wouldn't say it was bad.

The Mandarin thing was kind of a slap in the face to fans of the comic. I haven't read any of them, but I'm under the assumption he's supposed to be Iron Man's archnemesis. Kind of made the previews (where he was supposedly the main focus) look like a joke. And Killian was pretty cliched.

Not what I was expecting at all. I was a little disappointed, but it was still a great movie. :thumbup:

Then I watched the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was pretty bizarre and cheesy, but interesting. :laugh:

The first two thirds of the movie didn't feel like an Iron Man movie...it felt like a Tony Stark movie, throwing together random gadgets and piecing together Killian's plot. Threw me off quite a bit - though I wouldn't say it was bad.

The Mandarin thing was kind of a slap in the face to fans of the comic. I haven't read any of them, but I'm under the assumption he's supposed to be Iron Man's archnemesis. Kind of made the previews (where he was supposedly the main focus) look like a joke. And Killian was pretty cliched.

Not what I was expecting at all. I was a little disappointed, but it was still a great movie. :thumbup:

That was my biggest issue coming out of the movie. I understand that principal behind making the Mandarin a joke, but it came off as really disrespectful to the character. He has been a great villain for a long time and probably would have made it a better movie if he was actually evil. All the trailers looked epic mainly because the of the Mandarin's deep creepy voice. Even worse, watching this movie a second time is going to be weird because I will just laugh at all of the Mandarin's threats :hmpf_bad:

That was my biggest issue coming out of the movie. I understand that principal behind making the Mandarin a joke, but it came off as really disrespectful to the character. He has been a great villain for a long time and probably would have made it a better movie if he was actually evil. All the trailers looked epic mainly because the of the Mandarin's deep creepy voice. Even worse, watching this movie a second time is going to be weird because I will just laugh at all of the Mandarin's threats :hmpf_bad:

I know. I'd rather have the flamethrowing golf cart-driving Mandarin from the LEGO set than this one. :laugh:

OK, so here are my thoughts on Iron Man 3:

Well, they completely butchered the Extremis story and the Mandarin, so this was definitely not aimed at comic fans, but it was still a fun movie. It was funnier and more action packed than Iron Man 2, so that's good, although I almost felt like there was a bit too much humor, as if they were trying a little too hard to recapture the lighthearted feel of The Avengers. The Mandarin twist didn't surprise me so much because I had read some spoilers before seeing the movie, so I wasn't bothered by it too much, especially since Ben Kingsley's performance was pretty funny. Obviously it would have been better if he would have been the real Mandarin from the comics, but it could have been worse as well (they could have ruined his character unintentionally). I didn't think the Extremis soldiers were overpowered as some say. I was actually hoping they would give Tony a tough, superhuman enemy to fight since the last two villains only used cheap copies of Iron Man's tech and were taken down too easily. Of course I would have preferred it if that enemy would have been the Mandarin with his power-rings, but I digress. The ending came out of nowhere though. If Tony could have had the shrapnel surgically removed all this time, why didn't he?? And Pepper getting cured off-screen was pretty lame too. Sure, we all knew she was going to get cured by the end of the movie, but that doesn't mean they should have been so lazy about resolving that. And the fact that this may be the last Iron Man movie with RDJ is pretty depressing, although if RDJ is willing to return for Avengers 2, I'm sure they will find a good reason for Tony Stark to become Iron Man again. At least I hope so. And while the post-credits scene was amusing, it was pretty disappointing that it didn't foreshadow anything.

As for the smaller Lego sets, the Sea Port Battle sort of makes sense since a speedboat is probably more interesting than a bunch of containers and catwalks. But yeah, the so-called Ultimate Showdown is completely nonsense and surprisingly seems even more ridiculous after seeing the movie. :laugh:

But yeah, the so-called Ultimate Showdown is completely nonsense and surprisingly seems even more ridiculous after seeing the movie. :laugh:

Who in the world could have ever guessed that would be the case, but I totally agree! :laugh:

OK, so here are my thoughts on Iron Man 3:

Well, they completely butchered the Extremis story and the Mandarin, so this was definitely not aimed at comic fans, but it was still a fun movie. It was funnier and more action packed than Iron Man 2, so that's good, although I almost felt like there was a bit too much humor, as if they were trying a little too hard to recapture the lighthearted feel of The Avengers. The Mandarin twist didn't surprise me so much because I had heard some spoilers before seeing the movie, so I wasn't bothered by it too much, especially since Ben Kingsley's performance was pretty funny. Obviously it would have been better if he would have been the real Mandarin from the comics, but it could have been worse as well (they could have ruined his character unintentionally). I didn't think the Extremis soldiers were overpowered as some say. I was actually hoping they would give Tony a tough, superhuman enemy to fight since the last two villains only used cheap copies of Iron Man's tech and were taken down too easily. Of course I would have preferred it if that enemy would have been the Mandarin with his power-rings, but I digress. The ending came out of nowhere though. If Tony could have had the shrapnel surgically removed all this time, why didn't he?? And Pepper getting cured off-screen was pretty lame too. Sure, we all knew she was going to get cured by the end of the movie, but that doesn't mean they should have been so lazy about resolving that. And the fact that this may be the last Iron Man movie with RDJ is pretty depressing, although if RDJ is willing to return for Avengers 2, I'm sure they will find a good reason for Tony Stark to become Iron Man again. At least I hope so. And while the post-credits scene was amusing, it was pretty disappointing that it didn't foreshadow anything.

As for the smaller Lego sets, the Sea Port Battle sort of makes sense since a speedboat is probably more interesting than a bunch of containers and catwalks. But yeah, the so-called Ultimate Showdown is completely nonsense and surprisingly seems even more ridiculous after seeing the movie. :laugh:

There's an explanation for Tony's arc reactor being suddenly removed. Remember in the flashback to '99, where Yinsen from the first Iron Man film says hi, and tries to introduce him to Dr Wu, but Tony ignores him, instead deciding to run off to bed with Maya Hansen? Well, as part of a deal between Marvel and [one of the companies that screens American films in China, can't remember the name right now], the Chinese audience will get an additional scene starring Wu and his assistant, played by Fan Bingbing. It's a shame it's exclusive to China though, as it obviously plays an important role in the plot as Dr Wu was the one seen operating on Tony at the end.

Also, a message during the credits that screened to UK audiences at least reads "Tony Stark will return". We can only hope that means RDJ too.

And hey, we might not have a true Mandarin minifig, but at least we have Trevor! That's... better than nothing, right? :grin:

Apollo 13; great classic.

Planning to have a get-together this Friday to see IM3 after school. It's actually hard to avoid reading the spoilers...

Saw Ironman 3 yesterday(Oky, I co pletely agree with everything you said), saw Pain & Gain today.

Pulp Fiction

Had always heard people rave about it. It was fine. Don't see what's so special though :P. Some good parts. Some boring parts.