Hi,

I got a 5550 when I was kid, I always liked that model, I found it fun to play with, destroy, rebuild, etc. :grin:

After my dark age, I found another one on Ebay for cheap. As I had parts for that, I modified the colors, replacing yellow/black by blue/red.

Then I found another one, so when you have two, why not three? It got green parts. I bought parts on bricklink for that, making a blue/darkgrey and a green/red.

Recently I eventually found a fourth one, making it red/darkgrey, with orange replacing darkgrey on the blue one.

The 5581 "Magic Flash" seems harder to find, I only got one.

My original 5550 is actually the blue one, the one in original colors is the third one that I got and that I kept as it is, since it was in nearly mint state (unlike mine, since I played a lot with it : :tongue: )

996.jpg

I have to order parts, I am missing 1x1 orange plates (I used round ones) and I cheated for some green parts.

I do not know yet which color selection I'll do for the next one, not all parts exist in all colors (I'd like rare colors like purple etc.)

Maybe I should try to replace the white by something else too...

edit: fixed link for new pic location

Edited by antp

What a nice fleet of CUSTOM "Custom Rally Van" vehicles! The 1991-1993 Set #5550 had 527 pieces, so there are GAZILLIONS of combinations of colors you could make! :laugh: Don't let any youngsters get ahold of these beauties!

And for the fun, a reduced version that I just made, even if it is a little off-topic here I guess:

reduced_dscn2716.jpg

edit: fixed link for new pic location

Edited by antp

One more custom Custom Rally Van :

995.jpg

I have a sixth one ready to be re-colored, but I do not know yet what I'll do with it :D

And more than one year later, I finally chosen colors for that 6th one; dark bluish gray & lime green :

994.jpg

But in the meantime I got a 7th one, it will probably be dark red replacing the yellow, but I haven't decided the secondary color yet.

Maybe I should also stop. But it is not really my fault if no-one else buys them when they appear on Ebay :grin:

This is a nice fleet. :thumbup: I like the blue and orange one the best. I don't have this set, but have the very similar Magic Flash.

I'd like to find some more Magic Flash too to also change its colors (I only have one, in its original colors) , but it seems much more rare than the Rally Van.

I recently bought several Model Team sets, owning them for the first time ever, including both Custom Rally Van and Magic Flash. I never realized it before I built them, that their construction is very similar.

8438199377_5ff76e7e8a_z.jpg

8456640617_829da71f6c_z.jpg

Then I got lucky and found Big Foot 4x4 (5561), new in an unopened box, which also has some similarities.

8458495521_40e0bc2450_z.jpg

8459598472_d825ee3343_z.jpg

Indeed the 5561 has some similarities. I haven't found yet one at good price though.