efin

MOC: Old Library

I found this old library by accident when looking at pics from my town. I'm pretty sure that it's because the image is a falsely-colored old B&W pic, but I immediately thought it looked like a cool Lego building.

Old_Library_Concord_NH.jpg

So I fired up LDD, and after much reworking this is what I came up with:

library.jpg

Here it is with the roof off:

library_open.jpg

And here are a couple with the rear wall hidden to show the interior:

library_inside1.jpg

library_inside2.jpg

The bookshelf design is based on these cool ones I found over at BricksABillion, with some small modifications. I wish I could have used the legs like they did! :laugh:

Thanks for looking!

EDIT:

I built it! See post #12 for a couple more pics.

library.jpg

Edited by efin

Wow, that is great! Would you be willing to share the LDD file?

Steve

Thanks! Here you go:

Digital Designer file

You will definitely want to change up the completely amateur hidden elements that hold up stuff like the floor. :laugh: In the beginning, I really didn't think I was going to do much with it. Plus I was learning the ropes with the program and hadn't found the "Hide" button yet. hehe

Thank you! :classic:

Its a really nice simple design, perfect for my kids' town (ok, so its mine too).....I'm not quite ready for something as extravagant as Teddy's library!

Steve

Cool building. Of course I think you model is a little off from the picture. It looks like their is a extra corner on the right side of the picture. And I did download the LDD file thanks for that.

Thank you! :classic:

Its a really nice simple design, perfect for my kids' town (ok, so its mine too).....I'm not quite ready for something as extravagant as Teddy's library!

Steve

haha You sound just like me (son's only 4). I'm definitely a semi-classic, semi-modern kind of guy. Maybe someday on the big detailed stuff...

Cool building. Of course I think you model is a little off from the picture. It looks like their is a extra corner on the right side of the picture. And I did download the LDD file thanks for that.

Oh yeah, and there's more than just that corner, too. I'm pretty sure the building is much bigger than the way it looks, but I was going for something that could sit well next to "regular" Lego buildings.

I can not see the images or download the file.

Regards

I hope you can now! Maybe my server had a small burp or something, but I can see them fine.

Nice! It looks really accurate to the real building :thumbup:
You've captured the spirit of the building very nicely.

Thanks a bunch, guys! And thanks everyone for your comments! :classic:

Great work 'Efin' great work !

You could also use this kind of building for lawyers, doctors or even a town hall !

It looks very close to original picture - like I said great work !! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :laugh:

haha You sound just like me (son's only 4). I'm definitely a semi-classic, semi-modern kind of guy. Maybe someday on the big detailed stuff...

Oh yeah, and there's more than just that corner, too. I'm pretty sure the building is much bigger than the way it looks, but I was going for something that could sit well next to "regular" Lego buildings.

I hope you can now! Maybe my server had a small burp or something, but I can see them fine.

Thanks a bunch, guys! And thanks everyone for your comments! :classic:

Yes, I can. Thanks.

Very awesome!

Regards

I finally built it!

library.jpg

Here's a shot with a wall removed (those are all the books I own currently... heh):

library_inside.jpg

And here's a shot of the library with its closest neighbors:

library_block.jpg

Note to anyone wanting to try it out from the LDD file - all the black blocks are only placed so I could easily finish the roof and floor. You'll definitely want more for support, as the roof is very fragile without more blocks, also the floor won't be stable at all. Under the floor, I just used whatever color I had most of (yellow), but I think black looked best for when the roof is removed.

I realize that the white corner posts are wobbly, thus leading to less-sturdy walls. I did this on purpose so that you could easily remove and replace any wall to get to the inside easily. One could easily do the standard single brick followed by corner brick for more sturdiness.

Hope you like it as much as I do! :classic:

Really nice! :thumbup: Love the design, nicely detailed but not "surcharged", and of course the interior is great too, especially the librarian :wink:

This might be the first time I have seen someone digitally design something and then actually built it.

I invite you to check my BS City Section, then :wink: